• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Everything Savage XS

.AJ.

4 hours ago, mattbower78 said:

Hi

ive recently bought a savage xs on ebay. It all runs fine apart from it wont wheelie at all on a 2s battery, the previous owner said he left the stock gearing on. Any ideas as to why its not Wheelying as advertised?

Thanks 

Hello firstly congratulations on an excellent choice of a mini basher.

most likely problem is the slipper clutch, either needs tightening up or it's worn and needs replacing. These little trucks like to eat them like there's no tomorrow.

If it just needs tightening this can be done easily by removing the shell and simply tighting it with a spanner 🔧 , look between the chassis from above.

If it needs replacing then you will need to remove the gearbox, a lot more wrenching involved but easy enough. If you don't have a manual then you can download it from HPI's website and follow the step by step instructions to remove gearbox and replace slipper clutch.

When it is sorted, happy times you will have wheelies on tap.

Ok thank you, the slipper clutch was slipping when I first got it so I tightened it up so it doesn’t slip but it still doesn’t have the acceleration. However when I try a 3s pack it wheelies and backflips on demand. Could this be a dodgey battery pack as the 2s came with the truck. 

6 hours ago, mattbower78 said:

Ok thank you, the slipper clutch was slipping when I first got it so I tightened it up so it doesn’t slip but it still doesn’t have the acceleration. However when I try a 3s pack it wheelies and backflips on demand. Could this be a dodgey battery pack as the 2s came with the truck. 

Mine wheelies and does standing backflips on 2s so yeah sounds like you could be right and your 2s is faulty.

The other thing it could be is the punch on your esc has been turned down so it's not delivering enough initial power to the motor to make it wheelie or flip on 2s.

• 5 months later...
I used to just rinse mine in the shower then get the hair dryer out [emoji23]. 
Haven't used my xs in a while might give it a bash soon

I’d do that if my ESC were waterproof! I just carefully held it over the kitchen sink and used an old dish scrubbing brush with nice warm soapy water. Worked quite well!

14 hours ago, collective itch said:

with wheel and tyres you really get what you pay for. 1/16th wheeks will be too small, you want 2.2inch wheels. like the old 1/10th hpi trucks used like the firestorm, nitro mt2 etc. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I picked up a Savage XS Flux used and beat on it for a bit till the stock Vapor Pro esc went up in smoke taking the motor with it. (I guess it's fairly common?)

My son and I love taking our trucks out and now he's all bummed cause he has to drive alone lol

I bought a Hobbywing Quicrun Sensored 10BL120A + 3650 G2 10.5T 3600kv combo for ~$85 and now I'm having doubts if it's gonna be enough motor for the Savage XS.

It's ss to be strictly for bashing, jumps, grass and the occasional speed run.
Needs to be quick enough to beat our Mini E-revo VXL 😂

I'd appreciate any/all input.
You're welcome to tell me if I screwed up hopefully followed up by your better suggestions!

25 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

I'd have gone for the max 10 120a ESC with that motor. Perfect combo and waterproof. 

Damn...

I didn't think about it not being waterproof!!

Other than it not being waterproof, is the esc an overall good choice?

How bout the motor?

If I'm gonna send the combo back for the Max10 what motor should I pair it with (preferably sensored for smooth power delivery) 

ESC https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-ezrun-max10-sct-120a-speed-controller/rc-car-products/405158

Motor https://www.modelsport.co.uk/hobbywing-ezrun-3652sl-4000kv-g2-brushless-motor/rc-car-products/407498

Just double check that the 52mm length motor will fit. 

Waterproof and sensored don't go together sadly, it's one or the other. The hobbywing stuff is normally pretty smooth. 

Edited by Alex97

Blasted the xs round my dad's workshop yard at the weekend, forgot how much fun these things are. 

Broke some body mounts but that's it 

Took a videos which I might upload 

Got the Max10 Combo!

Should be installed by Saturday... can't wait to drive it again!

Can someone give me a definitive answer for what turnbuckles to get to replace the crappy plastic ones?

I bought 2 sets of traxxas turnbuckles that were supposed to be the #2443 and either of them fit... one was too long and one was way too short.

Lets give it the 'ole goldilocks try... 3rd times the charm!! hahaha

• 8 months later...

I used the traxxas rod ends and then I got some steel rod and coiled a thread on each end 

Just ordered a new esc for mine 

I'm still using the original motor and sc8 esc 

Finding it hard to find the original gt2 shell now though 😞

• 4 weeks later...

Really love this truck, they are little tanks, motor a bit high kv for my liking and gets hot on 2s.
Thinking of doing a motor swap for lower kv so more wheelie goodness.
I have an issue with the motor heating up my batteries, they get super warm in the truck much more than any other rig.
Any reccommenations on batteries for this 5000mha min. I run 7000mha 2s right now and the hard packs buldge due to the heat build up causing the cells to swell inside the battery case (they were poor batteries from the start)
I dont want to ruin good batteries cooking them like im doing with the 7000's do people cut vents in the battery door or have a solution or maybe my motor is running to hot and the motor swap will sort the issue.
Any way to mount a fan to the motor or is cutting required same for using longer than 540 can motors.
Got this mostly for the lad to save the outlaw spares but really having too much fun with it myself on 3s really wrecked the body, so backed it with tape and added some foam to stop the shock towers pushing through.
Body is very tough anyway one of the best shells ive come across. Doesnt crack but will bend and buckle.

IMG_20210320_233344.thumb.jpg.6750c0330da4e041990a4b466faa8b2b.jpg
IMG_20210320_233328.thumb.jpg.1acfb54c5d191188da5ccb8a81e552b1.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

It might be the C rating of the batteries causing the heat and using better batteries might alleviate that I think :cheers:

Same on 3s 120c, the 2 batteries have a 60c constant discharge rate with 100c peak but they are propper trash batteries so i take the c rating with less than a grain of salt, they dont heat up on the limitless or hyper.
Its just this battery compartment being next to the motor and an enclosed space. 😞

Just now, Redback said:

Same on 3s 120c, the 2 batteries have a 60c constant discharge rate with 100c peak but they are propper trash batteries so i take the c rating with less than a grain of salt, they dont heat up on the limitless or hyper.
Its just this battery compartment being next to the motor and an enclosed space. 😞

fair enough mate :good:

20 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

fair enough mate :good:

Even my the 3s 120c racepack gets too warm, I dont think its the batteries matey, If it didnt make the 3s warm i would agree it could have been but even with decent 2s packs with lower discharge same heat amount.
Am i the only one with this issue, i mean people would have thrown the packs out the amount they have swelled, cracked the hard case, but that happened ages ago, the extra heat just makes the swelling on those batteries worse.
I dont want to hurt the good batteries, happy to run the 7000s but every run kills the packs more than running them on the outlaw for example, thats on a 60amp esc and 4700kv motor so even higher draw than the savage with no woes.
Thus i see the car being the issue but why only me?

3 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

maybe is the motor then ?

Yes the motor gets hot and expect it too, its pretty high kv and as its a kid its flat out on grass thus he only gets 2s to play on. When i go to 3s its for very short times due to the heat, its not cracking 60c so i guess im ok but its just not great to have a heater next to a battery for the time the batteries last these days. Get about 20min run time from 7k.
The motor is also basically encased also, with no room without cutting for a fan, how hot does your truck get, this is brand new, maybe the pinion mesh is a bit tight from the factory, that being said its had a good 4+ packs through it so everything should be bedded in.
Rolls really nice, no rolling resistance for example. So its not something binding causing the motor to be hot. An its not like im concerned the motor is overheating, its just hot and thats ok just not for the battery.