• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

another trx engine bites the dust.

RCbutcher

My revo 3.3 hasn't ran true since I got it used and I'm finally giving in I need a new engine but I have some video not the best camera man holding phone and tx but it shows the revo rev high at 1st then it sounded really low even with full revs and it was hardly moving then it cut out and smoked out from the cooling head. Far too much for it too be smoke built up in the shell.

If you have any sugestions please let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bafvH_NodIc <pc link>

Edited by wan2learn

No temp guage mate but I had the needles at factory the pinch test was pretty good too it reved high then last 5secs till it cut out. I'm planning on taking the engine out and having a good look around it and inside the piston and sleeve. The fuel lines on revos are very long would I be better off just having enough fuel line to reach the carb.

Edited by wan2learn

Worth checking the clutch. If it's fried the clutch, then that might explain.

Long fuel lines won;t be a problem as long as they are properly tight at both ends. they actually help if the truck rolls! If it's stuck in second it would pull away badly, but should atually run OK once you get some speed up. Just take a while getting there!

ok mate i will get the engine off and photo it from all angles and upload to this thread im trying to get anothere engine but if i can save this one i will be very happy. it was just the really low sound revs that i thought the internals are really worn cos it was fine for the 1st few mins then acted up but could get life here and there then it will almost die but the smoke is the cause for alarm theres quite alot of it lol

1st difficulty is the black ez start motor wire will not come off which i think is strange because a week ago it came off on its own and i put it back on so im wondering if that might have something to do with the smoke also when i connect my ez start into the truck and press the button i can see a spark inside the ez start motor does that sound right

edit...........

i think nitrohollic might have it sussed the clutch bell will not spin free it turns ok but wont spin free.

the black wire looks like its solderd itself the the ez motor tab very strange i cant get the engine off without snapping the black wire any sugestions

Edited by wan2learn

possibly a lean condition making it hot, you said it ran 5 seconds plus on the pinch test, you maybe overfueling the bottom end which would make the truck seem like its ok because of the excess fuel on bottom end compensating for the lean top end for a split second , but if at WOT too long you will start over heating it i think? but im no expert and could be talkin dribble as usual lol

its a good theory as im no good at tuning yet i thiunk im getting better with other engines but the trx is a different story i have a video coming of the piston being moved by spinning the clutch bell with my fingers please dont say crank shaft please say new shoes and bearings lol

My shoes need changing they cracked around the fly wheel pins ill get the pics loaded in a min so thats one solved.

Now for the ez start motor black wire appears to have solderd itself to the motor tab and when the engine stalled in the vid up top it had so much smoke coming from the cooling head and the exhaust has a deflector on it

heres the video of the pison would anybody agree that it has ok compression i dont know for sure but bcos i could here good popping sounds i thought its ok compression. i think a new clutch and new ez start is needed im also working on getting a new engine just so i have one but i want to get as much life from this one as possible before changing over. i won a piston sleeve yesterday for afew quid on ebay the seller had his con rod snapp and break the piston and assures me the sleeve is fine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55F87Q5t81U

no the con rod and piston is fine i was refering to the seller of the new sleeve im getting he snapped his con rod sorry for mix up. it was the cluch rubbing the bell so turning the bell fast also turned the engine over im waiting for new shoes now then i dont know weather to geta pull start or new ez motor.

but anyway does anybody have a theory for the black wire melting and all that smoke im getting a new engine very soon but i would like to store that and keep using this one.

and the video of it running is all bad even on the approach to the football feild it was full revs all the way but it takes so much time to build revs but we know thats most likly the clutch now

does the compression sound ok from the last video i loaded @ 30secs

Edited by wan2learn

I've already got my clutch shoes that was fast from mighty models at 7.oo it was a bargain to me can I use the old e clip or should I use a new one i think I have a full packet of traxxas clips and e clips

Well im impressed lol I did it in 10min start to finish and 5min was wasted watching a YouTube video and he said to put the shoes on the pull the spring around with plyers i tried that and pulled the new spring out of shape luckily my old spring looks good so I conected the spring around 1 shoe the wedged the 2 shoe in and clicked both shoes with spring on the fly wheel I did have new e clips im my traxxas clips packet good job too my old clip is bent.

Please now trx 3.3 just behave now or ill replace you lol new engine in the post anyway

I'm wondering if the clutch was dragging badly if htat caused the EZstart motor to pull too much current. That might have heated up the wiring.

Only way to find out is to bolt it all back up with the new clutch and give it a go :)

Thanks mate its all bolted down I was hoping to avoid gesh meshing since i thought everything's in the same place but free rolling doesn't spin the bell I did remove the engine mount tho not knowing how to take the engine out I unbolted everything I learn meshing now then check this thread before I attempt it it took me a fair bit of time to get the top 4 engine bolts to go in even now I think it was alittle tight getting them in but there all tight now I'm nervous about meshing even tho I have afew spur gears