• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Firestorm 10t Nitro Engine Compatability List

iamweasel

The aim of this topic is to produce a full list of comparable engines for the HPI Firestorm and/or any additional parts required to make a particular engine fit.

I have managed to fit the team infinity .18 engine. I had to use 4 small washers to push the engine up slightly as without them the clutch bell would touch the lower deck.

i would have thought most enginr would have easily fitted straight into the Firestorm

From a .12 upto the .18 sizes

Mind you - any engine could fit in with modifications

Ziggy

as Ziggy said, every .12 to .18 (small block engines) should fit straight in without modification

A standard crank (short) will not fit, the firestorm comes with an engine with a long ips crank,

yup the sg type crank ones are the only ones you can use hence the g3.0 and the t3.0, where the former with the sg crank is used in the firestorm and bullet while the T3.0 with the standard short crank is used in the onroad rs4 cars. essentially the two engines are the same but maybe the t3.0 might rev quicker (not higher) given the smaller and lighter crank.

I did see a couple of YOUTUBE clips of some ppl who have managed to fit hyper .21's into their firestorms - while a .21 would be cool, I am assuming it requires a bit of modding. I was looking at the SH .18 engine as a replacement to the one I have, but haven't seen anyone with the same set-up.

i have fitted a hyper .28 into my storm, i don't have it anymore as i sold it to another member, required a fair bit of work but damn was it worth it. one of the fastest rc's i have driven.

you need to mark and drill the stock mounts, then tap the holes.

cut a standard buggy manifold to make it 90 degree.

make a new exhaust wire.

turn the carb as far as it will go, fit straight servo horn to the throttle and set up the breaks.

hack up the body to fit around and you end up with something like this...

SDC10074.jpg

crickey...

thats pretty nice!

seems that you have done quite a bit of work to get that in though. I am lazy, would a Hyper .21 fit straight in? i see you can get those off ebay for pretty cheap second had.

otherwise, i was thinking about a SH .18 -> again, any advice on if the SH engine would fit, and if its any good for the Firestorm?

if your not into custom work then its probably not for you, but an sh engine should drop in pretty easy. you might need to get one with a rotational carb rather than a slide carb. or even drop on the one from your old engine. but if you buy an sh engine make sure you take it to bits first and check for swarf or rough bits in the engine case, their quality control isn't great so its worth doing.

At double the price of this one http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=261012135707&index=2&nav=SEARCH&nid=64382671921 do you think it's worth it? I'm getting a lot of mixed reviews on the forum: some say the HPI engine is a FORCE engine simply rebranded. The force engines are cheaper than the HPI ones, too. I don't want to unnecessarily spend more than I have too, but am happy to spend a bit more if someone tells me that the sh engine is that crap it's not worth bothering about...

Edited by iamweasel

• 10 years later...

Yes you can ..... In RC t erms, pretty much anything can be done.  I built a 6WD Hyper 7 last summer for fun. I have a twin engined Savage, my Firestorm has a mid mounted brushless motor.

What mods? ALL of them.

You will have to make your own engine mounts, find room for the motor, sort out gearing, find space for the fuel tank you will need (bigger than the stock one for sure ) and then find out how long hte diff and driveshafts will last.

Will you get a good result? Will it be driveable, will it break all the time?  Depends on your fabrications skills and what parts you can add.

Fitting smaller big block motors have been done, but I have not seen anything as large as a 5.9 put in.