• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Scaredycat

bashman

Hi guys (and girls).

I love this hobby. I'm really mad about it, but there is a problem!

I've had a few runaways (as many people have) and have taken the precautions suggested on the MSUK nitro forum.

Elastic band on throttle linkage, changed AA batts for hump pack etc. Even been setting throttle so it doesn't go fully open, which is stupid. I'm so scared this will happen again. This is stopping me from having fun.

Does anybody else worry about it or am i being stupid? Last time the throttle/brake servo gave up at full throttle but i still had steering and managed to grab it after hitting a goal post (the car, not me).

If i just bash hard and have fun i know it will all end in expensive tears.

Failsafe is the way forward. Also just making sure all of your batteries are charged fully before you go out even if it just gives you peice of mind.

Also turn that throttle back so it go's FULL! and tbh if things go wrong they go wrong and fixing it is part of the hobby although most of us do try and avoid braking things

Yes forgot to say that my radios have built in failsafes but will not work if servo burns out at full throttle.

Set your failsafe for 3/4 breaking, enough to stop the car safely and without burning the servo out.

If you take all the precautions you can and it still happens, then thats fine. Also i agree that rebuilding it is part of the hobby and can be just as fun. What i was more interested in was if other people worry as much as me. Or am i just being silly?

Depends on what you mean by worrying.

If you mean crashing into people and hurting them or damaged peoples property then yes i think a majority or all of the people in the hobby do care, but if you're worried about breaking a part of your car then you're being a bit silly unless it is an expensive part i.e engine, motor, battery ETC....

Driving, Braking and re-building is inevitable and will happen. It's just all part of the hobby.

Set your failsafe for 3/4 breaking, enough to stop the car safely and without burning the servo out.

I did not explain very well. The servo packed up at full throttle so no way failsafe will work as the failsafe makes throttle servo move to put on brakes. This cannot happen if servo has burnt out.

I mean worried about hurting someone or damaging other peoples property mostly. I accept that the cars will break (especially with me driving)

Killer rc do a nitro fuel kill switch what works just like a fail safe but kills the engine too you can also remolly kill the engine with the 3rd ch on your radio

Since I don't drive nitro I don't worry about run aways in this sense but when I was having radio problems in my brand new pride and joy (TRF417X) I was very worried and spent many hours diagnosing and fixing the problem until I was confident enough to race it again. That whole time the cars wheels never touched the ground in case it was going to try one of it's full lock, full throttle manoeuvres. Still the same radio gear in that car now but with a Rx that works properly with it's aerial secured in a way it can't be chopped in a crash, so confidence is back again with my radio gear =]