• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

I've just broken the lower suspension arm on a Carnage and have found two different representation images of the aluminium upgrade (FTX6358) in shops. Does anyone know why this is? Are they both legit? Is one an updated version? 

Modelsport have this; https://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?search=1&search_string=FTX6358 

Wheelspin have this; https://wheelspinmodels.co.uk/i/115297/

It’s not an upgrade. It’s a shiny waste of money. When they bend they are fit for nothing except the bin. Also, as there is no flex you’ll be getting through a lot more hinge pins and holders as there is no give.

• Like 1

On 18/05/2020 at 01:41, threedee999 said:

Hello people.

My first post here.

I'm generally multirotor/flying person, dont know much about cars beyond what i learned buying Quanum Vandal.

Hope no one rips my head off for discussing Vandal instead of Vantage :D

Bought Vandal kit back in 2015, separately got brushless setup 9.5T motor and 100A esc, FlySky GT3C radio. Lipos were plentiful from my flying hobby. Set it up quick, not much thought was given beyond that its spinning its wheels and steering. Did some bashing, broke some arms, repaired, bashed some more and then put it away... Dug it out yesterday, as my son is pestering me to make it go brrrrr again (Blooming zombie apocalypse outside, kid's going stir crazy sitting at home).

Upon close inspection i noticed bent CVD, brrrr was seriously thrashing front end. Also, something i missed the first time i set it up - servo horn/linkage bolt was knocking against the servo body, there's a divet in there now. Yeesh. THATS where uneven steering was coming from all those years ago :D

Started looking if parts are still available - they are, good.

Now for the questions.

1. Is it a good idea just to try straightening cvd shaft ? Hammer on it for a bit ?

2. Is servo horn, being centered, default angle 90deg ? Fished out Vantage manual but there is nothing about that.

3. Going though this thread seen some people machining their own parts. Any chance someone here can share cad files ? I have a laser cutter and a cnc, so... Also, aluminium parts are stupid expensive for a cheap car (not even talking about carbon). Towers, top plate, arms, bottom/skid plate etc... If i get files - nice, if i dont - i'll just disassemble the thing, plop it on a scanner in bits and do cad myself.

4. Any way to prolong tire life ? Thicker tires ? Solid rubber tires ? Any hacks on this front ?

5. Any way to convert it  to RWD ? Just for tail swinging action, for kicks. Seen lots of conversions from 2wd to 4 wd, and all different models (not vandals/vantages).

6. Brushed setup - got plenty of drill motors kicking about. Also got some cheap dc esc, but not sure if it would manage to survive that size motors (320A, ebay, really ? :D)

7. Taller shell for Vandal ? Stuff barely fits in there. Fat esc and stupid wire angles on softpacks from my flying gear collection.

As you can tell, not an rc car person. Give me fpv gear and a drone, i'm ok, cars - no clue :D

I don't know any decent answers to these questions, but I would like to know if CVDs can be straightened too. If anyone could find/manufacture a slightly CVD with a slightly thicker shaft, I would be interested.

23 hours ago, Nickarla said:

It’s not an upgrade. It’s a shiny waste of money. When they bend they are fit for nothing except the bin. Also, as there is no flex you’ll be getting through a lot more hinge pins and holders as there is no give.

I have a car with the alumininum suspension arms on the front (I got them with a second hand chassis). I would not pay extra for them over the plastic as they are heavier and you need both front and back to be balanced or else it nosedives a bit. I may even put the plastic ones back. I haven't had them bend though, and they have been hit pretty hard. Personaly I would get the aluminum hingepin holders, because the plastic ones pop with just a tap. With certain sorts of crashes I suppose the stronger hinge pins translates force to other parts of the car though.

Thought I would share the pictures of what the Carnage body looks like painted in Tamiya PS59 Dark Metallic Blue Polycarbonate Paint. It looks nice with the white brushed wheels. I did a reasonable job of the masking, but mucked up the headlight stickers. Don't think it will make too much difference once my son smashes it up a bit. Does anyone paint the headlights and other details on the inside?

I will probably get a proline or other body for my brushless Carnage. Any alternative body suggestions welcome.

IMG_2016.jpg

IMG_2015.JPG

IMG_2014.jpg

• Like 1

On 18/05/2020 at 15:57, SgtStress said:

Apologies if i've missed this somewhere in this thread, but are there any options for increasing the strength of the servosaver? Any other model/brand saver fit in at all (even if it needs a little work) ?

I haven't done this myself but I read a post here a while ago. Glue the stock servo saver shut and replace the servo horn with one that has a built in servo saver. 

You'll have to research compatibility with your servo though. Some have different teeth on them. 

1 hour ago, Jamil237237 said:

I haven't done this myself but I read a post here a while ago. Glue the stock servo saver shut and replace the servo horn with one that has a built in servo saver. 

You'll have to research compatibility with your servo though. Some have different teeth on them. 

Worth noting, if it's a Vantage, a servo mounted servo saver won't fit under the body shell.

It's also worth noting, if you going with the servo mounted saver, you can replace the stock servo saver, with an alloy steering kit for the hpi bullet. Just use the stock plastic steering Ackerman instead of the alloy one that comes with the kit.

holy thread batman

i bought a brushless quanum vandal on some crazy black friday deal ages ago. crashed it a few times and fixed it a few times and then shelved it.  just pulled it out this week and had a blast again...broke it in half on a tree and fixed it up just now and i started looking into mods.... shouldn't have done that! now i've found this treasure chest thread.

anyone try 12 to 17mm adapters and some 1:8 wheels?

3 hours ago, moophus said:

anyone try 12 to 17mm adapters and some 1:8 wheels?

Yes. Doesn’t work very well as the Driveshaft thread is too short. See my car above. They are 17mm hexes but doesn’t stay on as I can’t thread enough of the wheel hex on to secure it.

On 20/05/2020 at 10:48, Jamil237237 said:

Has the e clip come out?

Edited by Nickarla

On 20/05/2020 at 10:48, Jamil237237 said:

Right makes sense, ill have a look and see what can be adapted. Thanks

14 hours ago, Nickarla said:

Has the e clip come out?

Nope glued it on after i lost a couple of them. Just seems like the saver is a bit weak and loads of play in that part of the steering so digging around trying to see what else can be made to fit to tighten it up a bit

On 20/05/2020 at 14:44, threedee999 said:

Rebuilding Vantage/Vandal.

Rear sway bar linkage balls corroded, plastic to metal fit. Looks like pressed in. Can i pop it out without breaking the link ?

My thinking is, pop it out, sand/polish, pop it back on. Or am i SOL and need to get new swaybar ?

Personally I’d replace with new. But then again I’m lazy 😂

(Quanum Vandal)

Did final reassembly after de-rusting, re-tiring.
Noticed the servo saver is super sloppy, there is near no strength in steering, let alone any precision.

Didnt see any adjustment mechanism for spring in there, or am i missing something ? Or missing parts post reassembly ?

How to stiffen the saver ?

Hi, I know this is for vantage and carnage but as the carnage is 95% the same as a bugsta I hope I can ask a question on it. I broke the rear suspension arm holder last night (daughter reversed into a wall!) so ordered some aluminium ones as the plastic ones are very weak. But now I’m worrying that these are a sacrificial part and I will be putting extra stress through the rear suspension arms.
Has anyone used the aluminium rear suspension arm holders on their carnage or vantage? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest that these are sacrificial parts. More than likely you will now damage pins or worse, arms.
I would not be purchasing aluminium parts for this car except for the steering ackerman and chassis which reduces gear damage as there is less flex.

Edited by Nickarla
  • Like 1

On 25/05/2020 at 19:57, Trustno183 said:

Hi guys about to upgrade the brushed carnage which combo out of the two would you go for as can’t decide!

will only be running on 2S

C3994403-87C4-4FB4-9D05-D91F3C675BBA.png

4CB9ED4E-7DE6-42CA-A7FA-E5097C91F01E.png

HobbyWing is a benchmark for most things motor and esc related and would be my choice. Saying that, I’ve never had a bad Absima product but they’re not as popular, we’ll know or tried and tested as the HW.

guys completely new to all of this RC stuff. Bought my son an FTX brushed carnage for his 9th birthday. Had about 20 minutes of driving then the battery was flat. Ran it again today for about 20 minutes today before the battery was flat. I have just looked at the car and the shell appears to have melted in just above the motor. Surely that cannot be right, have I done something wrong, how has this over heated so easily?

Am I being a total newby and missed something really obvious. Can post a picture of a rather indented car roof and a sad child as well! I will be going back to the company I bought it from or FTX directly anyway to discuss just wanted to see what you guys thought.

stupid question time! On my brushed carnage the esc / motor is wired red to blue and black to yellow. Is this not the wrong way round? I thought it should be red to yellow and black to blue.

If its wired wrong, does it mean my diffs are actually in the wrong way round too?

Can anyone tell me what off set wheels will

fit a Carnage please? I’ve got some old HPI tires that fit a 2.2” rim but I’m struggling to find suitable rims. Thanks