• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

On 15/07/2019 at 16:29, Fat Freddy said:

Can you “check” for faults like this? Back in the day (30+ yrs ago) I had radio gear pack in, just stop working, but I never had a fault like this. It either worked, or it didn’t, no middle ground.

I’m not sure how much the tech has really moved on, these days it’s all digital isn’t it(?) I have no idea how much of a leap that is from the old school crystal sets so no idea what is or isn’t possible. 

How easy is it to check how well a transmitter transmits, or a receiver receives? Is a local independent shop likely to have the required equipment to do it? 

I’ve not taken the radio gear in since early on in this little saga, but good point, will pop in tomorrow with it and see what he says. 

I don’t have money to burn but can just about run to a cheapish set of radio gear that will no doubt be an improvement on the ftx stuff, even if it doesn’t solve my little mystery.

tbh, I’m waiting to find out it’s something embarrassingly obvious that I should have spotted from the start. 

Its electronics there fore its magic and elves. Weird crap happens to complex electronics if something fails. Rust can cause issues with amp draw possibly reducing runtime, maybe there's a short somewhere making the rc think there's less voltage than there actually is. 

Maybe Satan possessed it and is messing with you. 

Point is with newer stuff, unless you know how it works, you just get a new one. 

3 hours ago, Jamil237237 said:

Its electronics there fore its magic and elves. Weird crap happens to complex electronics if something fails. Rust can cause issues with amp draw possibly reducing runtime, maybe there's a short somewhere making the rc think there's less voltage than there actually is. 

Maybe Satan possessed it and is messing with you. 

Point is with newer stuff, unless you know how it works, you just get a new one. 

Wisdom..... 

thanks 😄👍

Hello. I've finally got my brushless carnage handling the way I want it to so I'm looking for a bit more power now.

Will it handle a 3s lipo without tearing things to bits? Or am I best to just upgrade the motor and ESC?

Thanks

Motor is good for it with a bit of heatsink, standard ESC is a big pile of garbage so I wouldn't rely on that (it is rated for it in terms of voltage though if you want to try).

Obviously your pinion and spur gear will need to be either alloy or acetal. The plastic one will be destroyed in seconds. Other than that it will probably survive assuming you are just on a flat surface without hitting things. Any kind of bashing will need the same upgrades as I recommend for the factory car on 2S:

1) Suspension pin holders need to go to aluminium.

2) Carbon upper chassis plate.

3) Hardened acetal spur & pinion.

4) Quanum Vandal rear spoiler.

Edited by PH001

1 minute ago, PH001 said:

Motor is good for it with a bit of heatsink, standard ESC is a big pile of garbage so I wouldn't rely on that (it is rated for it in terms of voltage though if you want to try).

Obviously your pinion and spur gear will need to be either alloy or acetal. The plastic one will be destroyed in seconds. Other than that it will probably survive assuming you are just on a flat surface without hitting things. Any kind of bashing will need the same upgrades as I recommend for the factory car on 2S:

1) Suspension pin holders need to go to aluminium.

2) Carbon upper chassis plate.

3) Hardened acetal spur & pinion.

4) Quanum Vandal rear spoiler.

Thanks for that.

I've already done the carbon top plate, sway bars (huge difference with those 2 mods) and I've currently got it on vantage rear wheels and tyres all round with the ride height dropped slightly and it handles really well.

Has anybody fitted a more powerful motor and ESC combo?

I bought the set of motors n esc from mydoddy69 its a sensor less BL Motor 3650 4 pole 3900kv. No idea what motor your running. Going to buy the hardened 65t spur n 23t pinion to go with the above motor. No idea how it's going to go like. 

Edited by Viper1968
Re wrote whole thing

57 minutes ago, Viper1968 said:

I bought the set of motors n esc from mydoddy69 its a sensor less BL Motor 3650 4 pole 3900kv. No idea what motor your running. Going to buy the hardened 65t spur n 23t pinion to go with the above motor. No idea how it's going to go like. 

It’s just the standard motor and Esc from the brushless rtr in there at the moment.

Well this BL I think might be bit more powerful being a higher kv then what's in the carnage brushless I believe, but being this set was a bargain budget price I've no idea how it will compare. I am just going to be careful not to try running it on the brushed vantage stock spur n pinion. It's a completely new stock brushed Vantage so thought best to upgrade the gearing along with the brushless set I bought. Plan is to buy a kit vandal for grandson and put the brushed stuff into that for him. 

Edited by Viper1968
Spelling

Oh nother thing the radio tx needs 8 aa batteries, was bit surprised it needed so many as the hpi 2.4 uses 4. Been wondering why its twice as many as the stock hpi radio. Might put in the hpi tx n rx into the vantage and pass the radio over to grandson and the vandal roller. As I upgrade my vantage the vandal roller will get stuff I changeout on my vantage. Saves buying a whole brushed model over for the grandson. 

Looooong time r/c user, first time poster.   Thought I'd show a pic of my son's Bugsta with an alternative bodyshell.

I'd show the red version but limited upload.  Is that because I only just signed up?

Cost about £6.50 and very durable. The red version has been bashed about and down the road on its roof a huge number of times and has never had a crack.

20190721_220355.png

Edited by Jay R
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jay R said:

Looooong time r/c user, first time poster.   Thought I'd show a pic of my son's Bugsta with an alternative bodyshell.

I'd show the red version but limited upload.  Is that because I only just signed up?

Cost about £6.50 and very durable. The red version has been bashed about and down the road on its roof a huge number of times and has never had a crack.

20190721_220355.png

Like the alternative body shell. Where’s it from?

On 15/07/2019 at 16:29, Fat Freddy said:

tbh, I’m waiting to find out it’s something embarrassingly obvious that I should have spotted from the start. 

Update on my “mystery problem” (this might interest you @whitling2k ? Goes to show how much of an affect even a simple fault can have).

Early on in this little saga I decided to fit a new steering servo.....

I was fitting the carbon top-plate and noticed the blue anodising on the main drive shaft had worn.

It seems that when I fitted the servo, I failed to notice that it was a full 3mm bigger than the original and the base of the servo was touching the drive shaft.

Heres a rubbish picture of the base of the servo with the drive shaft alongside....

I packed the servo mounts with washers to pull it clear of the drive shaft but I didn’t think this was enough of an issue to cause the problems I’ve been having.

The next bash, I got a 30 minute run with no slowdown!

Although it didn’t cause enough friction to slow anything down when it was stationary, obviously at speed this caused enough drag to draw extra power from the battery and overheat the Esc enough to go into protection mode.

I feel a bit stupid it took me so long to spot it but I can’t tell you how pleased I am to have got to the bottom of it. 👍😄👍

4323B262-817A-4BF7-A84C-026495FDDA4F.jpegThanks to @BashingBrian , @mydoddy69 , @Fly In My Soup, @Nickarla , @Jamil237237 , and anyone else who offered helpful suggestions and support. Appreciate it, thanks.

(And looking at that pic, I really must spend more time cleaning!)

Edited by Fat Freddy
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Fat Freddy said:

Like the alternative body shell. Where’s it from?

Banggood.  £11.34 at the moment delivery included.    Cost me £6.42 when bought.   Takes a lot of cutting for the wheels to fit and I ended up heating it slightly to bend the bumper in a bit.  It still has the clear plastic manufacturing cover on.  I leave that on for a year till it is very scratched up, Peal it off and the car is like new again.

Gearbest do a nice Orange one.    Seems to be a standard mould that they paint up differently.

Edited by Jay R

20 minutes ago, Jay R said:

What's the rule on posting pics?   I can't upload another of the red one as it says I only have 1.8mb left.

I wasn’t aware there was a rule on number of pics but there is a max file size.....1.86MB.

Maybe crop it, or reduce the resolution of the pic?

31 minutes ago, Jay R said:

Banggood.  £11.34 at the moment delivery included.    Cost me £6.42 when bought.   Takes a lot of cutting for the wheels to fit and I ended up heating it slightly to bend the bumper in a bit.  It still has the clear plastic manufacturing cover on.  I leave that on for a year till it is very scratched up, Peal it off and the car is like new again.

Gearbest do a nice Orange one.    Seems to be a standard mould that they paint up differently.

What’s it called? They seem to have lots and I’m lazy. Maybe post a link?

https://www.banggood.com/110-RC-On-Road-Drift-Car-Body-Painted-PVC-Shell-for-Lexu-s-LF-A-Vehicle-p-1434465.html?cur_warehouse=CN

There you go.

Also....

https://www.gearbest.com/rc-car-parts/pp_009720496732.html?wid=1433363

There are loads that should fit on both those sites.  Some of the short course truck ones should fit well.  Sometimes they get a bit squished in the post but from the 3 I had delivered from China, only one was very slightly bent and it bent back fine.

They also do a ton of stuff like tyres, wings, lights, etc...   

Edited by Jay R
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jay R said:

https://www.banggood.com/110-RC-On-Road-Drift-Car-Body-Painted-PVC-Shell-for-Lexu-s-LF-A-Vehicle-p-1434465.html?cur_warehouse=CN

There you go.

Also....

https://www.gearbest.com/rc-car-parts/pp_009720496732.html?wid=1433363

There are loads that should fit on both those sites.  Some of the short course truck ones should fit well.  Sometimes they get a bit squished in the post but from the 3 I had delivered from China, only one was very slightly bent and it bent back fine.

They also do a ton of stuff like tyres, wings, lights, etc...   

Thanks

Bought an absima Hotshot kit last weekend, after building it and looking at available upgrades me thinks my FTX Vantage seems to be a bit, well don't wish to offend anyone with the Absima but think the Vantage having a two part lower chassis might be slightly better especially in a heavy frontal impact, though I think the plastic in the Absima has a bit more flex then the Vantage. I really like the Hotshot as well, but like the Vantage for its upgrade capacity. Absima may fair better in crashes due to the plastic being more pliable? 

Edited by Viper1968

Oh and  Freddy grats on finding the issue with your model, definitely something for me to watch out for, or think about when I change parts. It's something that can easily be missed it seems. 

Edited by Viper1968
  • Like 1