• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

Euuuugh, new grub screw into the front diff to make it 4WD again. Take it for a spin in the garden without the shell on it -> Rolls, knocks the cap off a shock and breaks the rear body post. Getting real tired of this!

are you using the car with throttle up full all the time? If your not experienced using car then i'd suggest turning it down til you've mastered control, not meaning to sound patronising in anyway mate

I'm pretty careful with it, just regularly overestimate it's speed, grip and my driving ability. Is there a way to "turn it down"? It's all learning I suppose, for when I invest in something more costly to repair!

On the transmitter you can adjust the throttle down, your right it's all about experience and it's better then smashing up a more expensive model when you first starting out.

Invest in the sway bars for it, will help with the steering and there cheap enough from model sport fella.

Try practice in more open space areas til your used to the car........talking from experience of bending two front cvds on second outing with it haha

That drive cup was exactly what happened to mine. It is a bit of a job and requires a full gearbox strip down.

On the subject of handling I think I had the suspension too firm previously. If the arms sit just about level it means the COG is lower and is less likely to flip. The sway bars will then help as they prevent excessive body roll.

I am thinking of getting a new servo as the stock one is slow. Has anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks.

Just started the process of toughening up my Carnage, ordered a set of T-Bone bumpers from eBay (does anyone have any experience with delivery times?), a HPI Firestorm body shell and a new set of body posts. Undecided on what to do with the shell, I'll probably just leave it clear or a solid colour, as i'm artistically challenged. Step 2 will be carbon top plate and sway bars (once I'm paid!).

Just started the process of toughening up my Carnage, ordered a set of T-Bone bumpers from eBay (does anyone have any experience with delivery times?), a HPI Firestorm body shell and a new set of body posts. Undecided on what to do with the shell, I'll probably just leave it clear or a solid colour, as i'm artistically challenged. Step 2 will be carbon top plate and sway bars (once I'm paid!).

Send the shell off to be painted. 

I can find links. Don't have any off hand. Hit the search button.

Check this thread: http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/192327-shell-painting/

Edited by chewbacca

Nope fella, that's the drive cup from the spur to propshaft. You need these bits:

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/ftx-diff-drive-cup-4-vantage-carnage/rc-car-products/365780

ta very much will get that ordered.

Does anyone know of a wide bumper that will fit a vantage?  Looking for some protection of the wheels.

ta very much will get that ordered.

Does anyone know of a wide bumper that will fit a vantage?  Looking for some protection of the wheels.

You're welcome.

Try T-Bone on the bay.

NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH:

Welp, it was fun while it lasted! Just turned her on for a quick nip around the garden and then there was smoke pouring from the ESC! Thought I'd dodged a bullet when she turned on and worked perfectly a few days back, after a thorough drying out (took a small dip in the garden pond whilst out of my control). 

I of course take complete responsibility and have no bad things to say about FTX/Carnage's, I've learnt a LOT of lessons over the past fortnight and can safely say, RC models have a hell of a steep learning curve!

As such, the car will be for sale in it's current form + spares, which, assuming only the ESC has shorted is otherwise working. Check the sale section for more details!

P.s. Thanks for all your help. :)

Edited by Mmmmays

Took mine out for. Heavy bash tonight, new spur and 19tooth pinion fitted

The fan one the esc seems to have given up and my front diff has finally given up and turned to actual dust

On a brighter point, the 50's pickup body is now almost finished so I'll be ordering some drivetrain bits and waiting to give the pickup it's virgin run

Just come back from our first blast with my son at the track.  He has a brushed Carnage and I have a brushless Vantage.  Great fun and suprisingly quick, but I splashed through the water a little too much and after large amounts of smoke and a burning smell, I've killed the Vantage's 60A Etronix ESC.  Can anyone recommend an alternative without breaking the bank?

Just come back from our first blast with my son at the track.  He has a brushed Carnage and I have a brushless Vantage.  Great fun and suprisingly quick, but I splashed through the water a little too much and after large amounts of smoke and a burning smell, I've killed the Vantage's 60A Etronix ESC.  Can anyone recommend an alternative without breaking the bank?

Ironically it's on Backorder atm but this is what's going in my Carnage, it's effectively the same as the Etronix but at a fraction of the cost:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__29642__Turnigy_TrackStar_1_10th_Scale_60A_Car_ESC_Version_2_UK_Warehouse_.html

I'd recommend DONT USE AN ELECTRIC. You'll strip threads left right and centre, do it the 'old fashioned' way by hand so you can feel when things get tight.

A lot of the small fixings will strip easy enough by hand before putting electric power on them