• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

2 hours ago, Strugglecuddle7 said:

Well I used my vantage once and sold it and made a profit! If anyone needs a spare vantage rear wing give me a shout as it's free

Not for me sir but that'll be a very kind offer for some lucky guy.

Well done on the sale BTW. 

6 minutes ago, Buggy Malone said:

Cheers Ant, MS only received a resupply of FTX6225 parts on the 17th Jan but my order was submitted to a different supplier yonks before that when MS had no stock.

CML has had no stock for about 10-12 days at least so that's a pain too.

This makes buggy ownership a proper pain in the arse, lol.

Especially when its FTX! I quickly learnt to order at least 2 replacement parts when anything broke on my carnage. That way, you have stock parts which should mean more playtime and also FTX parts often cost less than the postage so makes sense to grab while you can.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ant.p said:

Especially when its FTX! I quickly learnt to order at least 2 replacement parts when anything broke on my carnage. That way, you have stock parts which should mean more playtime and also FTX parts often cost less than the postage so makes sense to grab while you can.

I’ve just done the same for mine, having crashed twice snapping the front suspension holder in one crash & again in the other, adding the servo saver as well. I ordered quite a few parts to stock up on, front arms, tower, servo saver, Ackerman etc as, like you say, they are cheap enough. I thought £30 on stocking up would future proof any damage and save waiting for postage. 

Today, the servo gave in so contacted MS asking advice about a replacement & could they do anything warranty wise as it’s only a month old. They must have checked my ordering history as they said it must have had an impact lol 

with the amount of spares I’ve bought, they understandably think I’ve properly totalled it ha ha. Can’t blame them to be fair lol. Anyway, I ordered a new one, a 15 kg metal extronix 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Simmy said:

I’ve just done the same for mine, having crashed twice snapping the front suspension holder in one crash & again in the other, adding the servo saver as well. I ordered quite a few parts to stock up on, front arms, tower, servo saver, Ackerman etc as, like you say, they are cheap enough. I thought £30 on stocking up would future proof any damage and save waiting for postage. 

Today, the servo gave in so contacted MS asking advice about a replacement & could they do anything warranty wise as it’s only a month old. They must have checked my ordering history as they said it must have had an impact lol 

with the amount of spares I’ve bought, they understandably think I’ve properly totalled it ha ha. Can’t blame them to be fair lol. Anyway, I ordered a new one, a 15 kg metal extronix 

this is the servo saver you want:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alloy-Servo-Saver-Set-10147-For-RC-Car-1-10-VRX-Octane-VETTA-Karoo-FTX-Outlaw-/223719447902?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

3 minutes ago, Simmy said:

Thanks 

The original one would be fine, it doesn’t necessarily break, but the 8mm e-clip pops off so easily and is always lost forever, leaving you with sloppy steering.

I did try to mod the plastic one with a bit of success by replacing the e-clip with 2 circlips at 180 degrees to each other.

when I learnt about the alloy version with adjustable tension, it was a no beainer at the price. Plus it looks nice!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ant.p said:

The original one would be fine, it doesn’t necessarily break, but the 8mm e-clip pops off so easily and is always lost forever, leaving you with sloppy steering.

I did try to mod the plastic one with a bit of success by replacing the e-clip with 2 circlips at 180 degrees to each other.

when I learnt about the alloy version with adjustable tension, it was a no beainer at the price. Plus it looks nice!

Yeah, when I replaced the one I broke I noticed the circlip was missing on the original. Might have come off in the crash but I’m sure it was missing before as the steering was so much better with it on the new one. 

I got fed up today not being able to run the car due to the servo breaking so I ordered one off Amazon Prime, a 25 kg one. Arrived about 5pm  and I’ve fitted it and it seems ok. It’s a no make one but I’ve got one coming from MS so I can always keep this is a spare. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Simmy said:

Yeah, when I replaced the one I broke I noticed the circlip was missing on the original. Might have come off in the crash but I’m sure it was missing before as the steering was so much better with it on the new one. 

I got fed up today not being able to run the car due to the servo breaking so I ordered one off Amazon Prime, a 25 kg one. Arrived about 5pm  and I’ve fitted it and it seems ok. It’s a no make one but I’ve got one coming from MS so I can always keep this is a spare. 

I’ve used a few of those Amazon servos and can’t complain about them. Cheap, and do the job just fine for bashing.

If you’re doing anything competitive, it’s probably worth investing in a more premium branded servo, but otherwise I find it hard to justify, especially in 1/10 scale.

• Like 1

I’ve tried searching the thread before asking this question but I couldn’t find any answers. 

Just wrecked a set of Fastrax Arrow wheels that I’ve managed to crack by catching a kerb and I cracked the rear wheel just by jumping a speed bump. The grip on those with the road style tyres was brilliant but, the rims are pretty fragile. 

Can anyone recommend a good road tyre like the Arrows had, but with a stronger rim ? 

Thanks 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/02/2022 at 19:25, yourfuturetech said:

Hey guys,

New to the group as well as the Carnage. I picked up this secondhand car called the Laegendary Thunder which is another Carnage rebrand. I was a bit let down in the beginning having issues finding parts for it(I'm in the US); the car was missing a front bumper and had a cracked chassis where the bumper bolts onto. Also the body mounts would break easily.

I was able to resolve a few of the minor issues with my 3D printer and some readily available designs I found online. I hope this can help anyone else out there with similar issues. 

IMG_20220212_104134239_HDR.thumb.jpg.20fb39332130761e758503e493a299d2.jpg

Steering fix - 3D printed a solid piece with bearing inserted to replace the servo saver. Steering is solid now with almost no play but will need a servo saver arm added to the servo itself. 

IMG_20220212_104313639_HDR.thumb.jpg.565e6b54f25930cace7aea295cd80ca2.jpg

Body chassis plate and front bumper. The yellow plate fixes the broken chassis that prevented the bumper from being mounted. Bumper works okay I keep spares on hand.

IMG_20220212_104150947_HDR.thumb.jpg.c01086e213e06fc6063825e245cb6d27.jpg

Rear suspension guards. Just a simple mod not sure how good it will work 🙂

IMG_20220212_104355666.thumb.jpg.70278f2e6e0e793e28984482a976f498.jpg

Extended the battery posts to allow my taller battery to fit.

IMG_20220212_104426360_HDR.thumb.jpg.87e9ded7fb9fd190c274d9e0707712e6.jpg

Custom designed Velcro body posts. Allow for easy removal of the body and no more clips that go missing/broken body mounts. I still have more testing to do but so far so good.

IMG_20220212_104218293_HDR.thumb.jpg.68ea7388d2395e99ea4ff080017ac687.jpg

Spot on 👍👌👌

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

this has been a useful thread that I have been reading through. I have a vantage brushless that I am running on 3s and am very happy bashing about with it, have been having problems with the rear shock mount as it is a bit bendy and started to resemble a banana. So I then made the mistake of getting very lovely shiny carbon fibre front and rear shock mounts, they both lasted all of 2 runs!! Have now ordered aluminium ones, am a bit worried that I may end up snapping the diff housings but am hopeful they will hold up. Has anyone else fitted these and how did they get on?

i also went to my local stainless steel fixing shop and got all the screws in the car for £13! I am very happy not to have those rusty screws any more.

I have fitted the sway bars recently aswell has made a big difference to the Handling at high speed would definitely recommend fitting them!

party on!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Vanden Plas said:

Hi all, 

this has been a useful thread that I have been reading through. I have a vantage brushless that I am running on 3s and am very happy bashing about with it, have been having problems with the rear shock mount as it is a bit bendy and started to resemble a banana. So I then made the mistake of getting very lovely shiny carbon fibre front and rear shock mounts, they both lasted all of 2 runs!! Have now ordered aluminium ones, am a bit worried that I may end up snapping the diff housings but am hopeful they will hold up. Has anyone else fitted these and how did they get on?

i also went to my local stainless steel fixing shop and got all the screws in the car for £13! I am very happy not to have those rusty screws any more.

I have fitted the sway bars recently aswell has made a big difference to the Handling at high speed would definitely recommend fitting them!

party on!

I have the carbon towers on my carnage and they’re one of the only parts on the truck I haven’t had problems with. Usually the advise is to stay with plastic, but FTX plastic is just so brittle. I’ve now a mixture of carbon and alloy replacement parts for common weak spots and its been pretty good compared to stock. 

The alloy ones will be better than the stock plastic, but it will bend, probably before doing damage to the gearbox.

Hmmm, perhaps I have strange plastic ones as they are about as far away from brittle as you can get, super bendy things, they bent do much that the shock housing now binds on the mount! 
talking of shocks, has anyone changed the stock ones? My car bottoms out all the time, even when adjusted right down, would a thicker oil prevent this?

Perhaps brittle was the wrong word to use? Perhaps rubbish is a better description? 😂 I’ve often used the carnage in cold weather conditions which hasn’t helped. Basically I found that something had broken before I’d put a single pack through it almost every outing. Not so much now various parts have been replaced with the upgrades. I also learnt to order duplicate replacements when something broke, so to avoid waiting on replacements next time. As the parts are so cheap, it’s a good idea to stock up.

8 hours ago, Vanden Plas said:

My car bottoms out all the time, even when adjusted right down, would a thicker oil prevent this?

I changed my wheels (as the stock inserts had turned to dust within a few runs) and also put 40wt shock oil in mine. Both these changes were an improvement. The standard shocks are fine in my opinion, and a belly slap is quite normal on bigger jumps, so don’t worry about that too much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ant.p said:

changed my wheels (as the stock inserts had turned to dust within a few runs) and also put 40wt shock oil in mine. Both these changes were an improvement

Ah, yeah the foam is no longer present, hadn’t really thought about that can you recommend some wheels that are more durable?

8 hours ago, Vanden Plas said:

Ah, yeah the foam is no longer present, hadn’t really thought about that can you recommend some wheels that are more durable?

If I was to buy wheels today, I’d be trying these out:

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/jetko-mt-extreme-tyre-rockform-belted-on-trx-rustler-hoss-black-rims-12mm-hex-2--1337903

heard nothing but good things about this brand!

• Like 1

I only go out about one a week now due to weather an cold  as said above   carange /ftx plastic   dont like the cold . As I went thor loads of parts when i 1st started but as the weather turned i see the diffrance . So once gets a bit warmer I'll have all cars out  lol 

Those wheels were a little Extreem for my little buggy! Although have gone a bit mad this week on buying shiny aluminium parts, I also got some big bore shocks as I have continued to be underwhelmed by the stock shocks, slight tweaks needed to get them to fit and the buggy is now sitting higher which might effect its cornering but I am hoping it will handle landing jumps much better, will see how it goes if the weather is ok tomorrow 2DFFAD05-95B0-4791-A806-F5A18F944136.thumb.jpeg.23c6b97958eb3222b6d9b7df19edf02f.jpeg90A51DDA-B627-4ED1-BF76-7436B7C2831C.thumb.jpeg.3fe495cca1c64d2c823fc715600cc19b.jpeg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Vanden Plas said:

Hmmm, big bore shocks didn’t work out so well, the constricted the turning so it was pretty undrivable! Never mind was worth a try

Isn’t there another mounting hole on the swing arm? 
Maybe if you mounted them slightly more vertically they’d clear the steering?