• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

16 minutes ago, Gari_Ferret said:

Anyone know if there's stronger driveshafts available for the vantage? I seem to keep twisting or bending mine.

Iv bent my carnage center shaft but not twisted it yet, do u mean center shaft or the dog bones from diffs to hubs? I know u can use the front cvds on the rear on carnage so assumin u can on the vantage, if it's the center shaft I'm pretty sure theres nothin else out there.. jus stay away from the Chinese "stainless steel" as it's jus chromed aluminium and very weak.. found out the hard way as it snapped in my friends bugsta 

9 minutes ago, Madmoz7610 said:

Iv bent my carnage center shaft but not twisted it yet, do u mean center shaft or the dog bones from diffs to hubs? I know u can use the front cvds on the rear on carnage so assumin u can on the vantage, if it's the center shaft I'm pretty sure theres nothin else out there.. jus stay away from the Chinese "stainless steel" as it's jus chromed aluminium and very weak.. found out the hard way as it snapped in my friends bugsta 

I usually bend the front CVD shafts and the rear dog bones, the other day I bent a CVD and sheared off the c-clip holding the left drive cup of the front diff in place... Maybe 3s and a 4350kv motor with a 23/24t pinion and 49t spur gear is too much for it? It did hit 47mph at like 75% throttle with just RWD and the clutch slipping.

10 hours ago, Gari_Ferret said:

I usually bend the front CVD shafts and the rear dog bones, the other day I bent a CVD and sheared off the c-clip holding the left drive cup of the front diff in place... Maybe 3s and a 4350kv motor with a 23/24t pinion and 49t spur gear is too much for it? It did hit 47mph at like 75% throttle with just RWD and the clutch slipping.

Wow, I'm runnin standard etronix motor and ESC, was gona upgrade but think IL stay standard until the motor gives up 

11 hours ago, Gari_Ferret said:

Definitely beyond the stress limits of its design! I’ve had issues when using 2s with a 3300kv, 3s on the same motor was constantly breaking something in the drivetrain. Would probably be okay if eased in on speed runs, but off road jumping around and start stop throttle control is always gonna chew something up.

I ended up accepting its not fit for Any kind of abuse and moving onto a more robust truck. It was a great starting point for me though and I still have it, but spends most of its life on a shelf.

16 hours ago, Gari_Ferret said:

Anyone know if there's stronger driveshafts available for the vantage? I seem to keep twisting or bending mine.

Dont know about stronger but I need LONGER ones for my carnage . 

• 2 weeks later...

Might have my upgraded brushless carnage up for sale soon, if anyone's interested send me a msg 👍 it's got 2s and 3s battery's with chargers and Dumbo RC with gyro and all the old parts to make standard again.

Will make a proper for sale post soon jus thought I'd gauge interest in here first 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Recently bought a brushless Vantage on ebay (£63 Inc postage, with no transmitter, receiver, battery or charger) and have not had a chance to look it over until now. I was hoping to double check the motor, esc and servo are correct as they look different to the images I've seen on line. The esc I couldn't find much info on at all.

20211016_112742.thumb.jpg.2f91cba09492b00ade352d290ab683cd.jpg

It seems to have Schumacher wheels (rear branded but not front) with proline dirt hawg tyres all round, which I assume are better than

the originals?? (Apologies for the inadvertent middle finger 😂)

20211016_114125.thumb.jpg.7bb7697b2f44a349bee0aaf3877533a1.jpg

I don't have a part list as I don't have the manual if anyone could point me to a cheap copy of that it would also be appreciated 

Obviously I bought the car as a project so have realistic expectations but just making a list of things I might need to double check as this is my first Brushless RC and will be my first experience with lipos (once I buy some lol)

Ordered the dumborc x6 from banggood which I guess should be compatible.

Any general advice on what to check would definitely be welcome.

20211016_114017.thumb.jpg.666d6809dad8e69e28df593d99defca9.jpg

Servo don't look standard buddy, also the motor and ESC look like the older version, would try and Google it and make sure it's lipo safe, as for manuals I'm sure on the ftx website u can find one on there, looks a cracking little buy tho especially for peanuts, and those tires should grip a bit better than the standard too, I'm running the Dumbo x6 transmitter and X6FG receiver on my carnage and it's excellent although I would advise to order a foam ring off eBay for the wheel as the plastic feels a bit naff lol and if it is lipo safe should be an animal on 3s 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Madmoz7610 said:

Servo don't look standard buddy, also the motor and ESC look like the older version, would try and Google it and make sure it's lipo safe, as for manuals I'm sure on the ftx website u can find one on there, looks a cracking little buy tho especially for peanuts, and those tires should grip a bit better than the standard too, I'm running the Dumbo x6 transmitter and X6FG receiver on my carnage and it's excellent although I would advise to order a foam ring off eBay for the wheel as the plastic feels a bit naff lol and if it is lipo safe should be an animal on 3s 

Cheers mate,  will do some more Google digging. I thought the servo may have been changed as normally the FTX servos seem to be Etronix to match the motor and esc.

The esc is confusing as the twin resistors/capacitors(?) sticking out the side actually overhang the chassis slighty and stick up high enough to stop the body from sitting properly. 

Cheers

Fml did another Google search for the esc and got a load of results this time 🤦🏻‍♂️ including one on this forum from 2013 chastising someone for being lazy and not googling it 😬🤣

I swear it only gave me a load of other unrelated esc sales posts...honest guv!😂

Even more embarrassing is the first result is a pdf of the $%$^ing esc manual 😂

Edited by Ratty McRaticus
  • Haha 1

@Ratty McRaticusThese things break quite easily but luckily parts are cheap.

Really depends on your budget, but I’d say get a steel spur and pinion. Stock is cheap as chips but they get chewed up really easy and replacing them gets to be a pain in the arse after the third or fourth. Metal one eats gravel for breakfast, fit and forget.
Change the servo saver. Get a metal copy. Plastic one is just a bad design.

Get the alloy swing arm holders.

Also replace rear dog bones with front Cvd’s, straight swap and more robust.

Carbon top plate stiffens chassis up nicely. If you get the carbon shock towers, DON’T get the pro versions. They have all the same cut outs as the plastic version and snap nearly as easily. Get the one that just has the mounting holes drilled, WAY more durable (and slightly cheaper).

Have fun 👍

• Thanks 1

@Ratty McRaticusOh, and if that’s a non standard servo, check it isn’t fouling the drive shaft. Stock servo is slightly shorter than some, I replaced mine and the new one was 1.5mm bigger. It barely brushed the drive shaft but I guess at high speed, these forces are magnified.
Took me ages to figure out why everything was overheating and going slow. Packed the servo mount with washers and it’s been fine ever since.

• Thanks 1

Its most definately a non standard servo, unless FTX were giving out Hitec servos at some point... Hitec make really nice servos, the one you have is one of the more humble offerings, but one that will likely be able to meet its specs rather than offering you specs plucked out of thin air and stamping it with 25kg...

https://www.robotshop.com/uk/hitec-hs-311-servo-motor.html

Speaking generally, some ESCs won't list lipo support and its usually due to them not having the right LVC for Lipos, e.g. some Tamiya's have a LVC of approx 4.9v which for a 2S lipo is a huge no no. There's an easy work around, which is a 50p volt meter, or probably the better option, one of those converters that have a lipo alarm/buzzer built in.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Bert_w164 said:

Speaking generally, some ESCs won't list lipo support and its usually due to them not having the right LVC for Lipos, e.g. some Tamiya's have a LVC of approx 4.9v which for a 2S lipo is a huge no no. There's an easy work around, which is a 50p volt meter, or probably the better option, one of those converters that have a lipo alarm/buzzer built in.

This is a screen shot from the esc manual I found, I believe it's the correct one, if I'm reading it correctly it says you should use min 2s max 3s.1627190832_Screenshot_20211017-220004_SamsungNotes.thumb.jpg.657372fb93dca287f1a2d76ff4376834.jpg

please correct me if I'm wrong as I would prefer to not burn down my building if possible...our neighbours are a bit funny about things like that 😄

• Like 1

That's fine on 2/3S 🙂 I have the 2.1 version in our Kyosho MT 2, with 3300kv brushless without any issue. Ha, I had a Surpass Hobby ESC catch alight, luckily my neighbours didn't seem bothered, luckily the heat desoled the lipo terminal to the ESC! 

PS it looks like that's a "540" / 3650 (36mm diameter, 50mm lenght), not teaching you how to suck eggs, but if you didn't know, what's how the number convention on brushless motos work, so for example my 4274 in the Losi is 42mm diameter 74mm lenght. Fwiw I use exactly the same sized motor and KV spec as you on the Etronix. 

Edited by Bert_w164
  • Like 2

Been havin a little bash with an outlaw for a few days, didn think they were any good until I used my 2s lipo in it, an Jesus it's a changed truck 😆 might get myself one for Christmas off the kid as I'm really impressed jus don't suggest using 3s as it can't handle the power an not sure if u can get a wheelie bar for them lol if anyone's selling one soon let me know 

• Like 1

I went out sunday for the 1st time in 2 weeks  felt like ages Haha.  My son was playing football  so rather watch him I thought I'll take my carnage an outlaw  so much fun on the running track and speeding in to the long jump sand  lol   .as the wet weather has landed might pack 2 of them up and just use the other 2  one of each .carnage and outlaw . 

Just want to keep two incase we get some sun lol .. 

• Like 3

i got my first rc car in january and it was the ftx vantage recently i need to replace the 550 motor so as the oppurtunity arose i decided to try doing a brushless conversion with no experience at all i bought a etronix 60 amp esc and a etronix bushless motor fitted it all this week what a nightmare i had programming it in without researching anything,

eventually got it to work but now its chewed up my spur gear because of the power on a 2s 

so i am now awainting a new steel spur gear from modelsport has anyone had any problems with the steel spur gears i have a steel pinion too

will it be able to cope with 2s and 3s with this change or do i need to change anything else

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Spunkymunky88 said:

i got my first rc car in january and it was the ftx vantage recently i need to replace the 550 motor so as the oppurtunity arose i decided to try doing a brushless conversion with no experience at all i bought a etronix 60 amp esc and a etronix bushless motor fitted it all this week what a nightmare i had programming it in without researching anything,

eventually got it to work but now its chewed up my spur gear because of the power on a 2s 

so i am now awainting a new steel spur gear from modelsport has anyone had any problems with the steel spur gears i have a steel pinion too

will it be able to cope with 2s and 3s with this change or do i need to change anything else

No issues running steel on steel, use a bit of paper to check its meshed right and you should be golden for many hours, dont forget a dab of threadlock on metal to metal eg grub screws / pinions etc
I put 4s though my ftx and its just dandy!
Enjoy!

4 hours ago, Spunkymunky88 said:

Steel spur is a good move. Runs quieter than brass on plastic too. Fit and forget 👌

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Redback said:

No issues running steel on steel, use a bit of paper to check its meshed right and you should be golden for many hours, dont forget a dab of threadlock on metal to metal eg grub screws / pinions etc
I put 4s though my ftx and its just dandy!
Enjoy!

Programme card turned up today and also the new spur gear lets get it in and get it going