• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

18 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

3s on the carnage isn't recommended by me. Don't get me wrong, its beyond fun, but it'll be short lived. the drivetrain, even if upgraded, will likely fail if you don't smash it to pieces first hurtling out of control into a tree!

Whilst it’s a truly terrible idea I am going to try my Outlaw with Max10 3200kv 3660 SCT on 4s…..   Just to see….     Because 🔥

Edited by walkbythesea
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, walkbythesea said:

Whilst it’s a truly terrible idea I am going to try my Outlaw with Max10 3200kv 3660 SCT ON 4s…..   Just to see….     Because 🔥

It'll be a short clip I imagine, but please can you try to film it 🚀😆

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, vimto2000 said:

That looks really sweet! 

I'll take some pictures of my rigs if we go out this weekend.. Nothing special about them though! 

What wheels and tyres you running? 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154220196248

@Jens reccomended these to me a while back. They are superb. I used a different tyre insert, but they come with some if you're happy to use them. You also need some CA glue as they don't come pre glued

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154220196248

@Jens reccomended these to me a while back. They are superb. I used a different tyre insert, but they come with some if you're happy to use them. You also need some CA glue as they don't come pre glued

Added to my list in case I ever need! 

Cheers

Installed the upgraded servo saver and Ackerman arm onto my daughters Vantage today with 2 annoying gripes..

Replaced the old setup as it was rubbish and had a lot of slop in the steering (which never sits well with me).

New upgraded servo saver was quite a lot wider and rubs on the moulded chassis braces.. To fixed with a bit of light dremmelage.. 2nd and more annoying issue is the ackerman arm is now alloy to alloy with nothing but a bolt through it, so tighten it up and it stops it turning, back it off and it's too loose. and after a couple of turns it just unscrews and falls out.

Now i know threadlock will fix this but it's a pretty rubbish design. Surely some normal rose joint connection would be better.

Was just wondering if anyone else had come across this and what are your suggestions to fix it?

Thanks guys.

47 minutes ago, Speedytriple said:

Installed the upgraded servo saver and Ackerman arm onto my daughters Vantage today with 2 annoying gripes..

Replaced the old setup as it was rubbish and had a lot of slop in the steering (which never sits well with me).

New upgraded servo saver was quite a lot wider and rubs on the moulded chassis braces.. To fixed with a bit of light dremmelage.. 2nd and more annoying issue is the ackerman arm is now alloy to alloy with nothing but a bolt through it, so tighten it up and it stops it turning, back it off and it's too loose. and after a couple of turns it just unscrews and falls out.

Now i know threadlock will fix this but it's a pretty rubbish design. Surely some normal rose joint connection would be better.

Was just wondering if anyone else had come across this and what are your suggestions to fix it?

Thanks guys.

You should have taken the bushes out of the old Ackerman and fitted them to the alloy one

1 hour ago, walkbythesea said:

You should have taken the bushes out of the old Ackerman and fitted them to the alloy one

You are a gentleman and a scholar and i'm a dufus!!

Thank you dude.

Which brushless motor would you get for the FTX Carnage,  3300KV, 3900kv or 4300kv. 

It will be used by my kids..who will be using it on short grass and can handle a bit of speed as the area we use is pretty open!

4 minutes ago, vimto2000 said:

Which brushless motor would you get for the FTX Carnage,  3300KV, 3900kv or 4300kv. 

It will be used by my kids..who will be using it on short grass and can handle a bit of speed as the area we use is pretty open!

I use a 3300kv and it’s plenty fast enough for the car on 2s, on 3s parts start breaking under the strain. I think the 4300 would be too much. The 3900 would work on a smaller pinion.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, vimto2000 said:

3300kv will be plenty - we just put a Max10 3652 SL 3300kv into a Carnage and on high c 2s it’s seriously rapid - make sure you fit upgraded pinion and spur, standard items will eat themselves in short order. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, walkbythesea said:

3300kv will be plenty - we just put a Max10 3652 SL 3300kv into a Carnage and on high c 2s it’s seriously rapid - make sure you fit upgraded pinion and spur, standard items will eat themselves in short order. 

The 3300kv one I've seen has a 5mm shaft? Is that the same as yours? What pinion are you using?

To be honest, I've not had any pinions or spurs go yet even on my brushless.

1 minute ago, vimto2000 said:

The 3300kv one I've seen has a 5mm shaft? Is that the same as yours? What pinion are you using?

The Hobbywing motor used has a regular 1/8 inch shaft and takes the standard size pinions, I’d always recommend one from RW racing. 

https://www.modelsport.co.uk/product/rw-.6-pinion-17-teeth-13756

RW Racing make helicopter pinions in the correct module and tooth count for motors with a 5mm shaft. 

https://www.rwracing.co.uk/product/-6-module-helicopter-pinion-5mm-bore-short-boss

• Like 1

The Carnage is better than the Outlaw in that it has an adjustable motor mount that allows you to change gearing a bit easier if you choose to - but 3300kv and a 17t pinion with the standard spur should be good for the region of maybe 35-40mph’ish

Edited by walkbythesea
  • Like 2

I think I'm running a 19t pinion in mine, I think its an FTX Siege one!

Will have a think, as I'll be buying 2 brushless setups and will have to think about more batteries! 

Will do one at a time! Just to make sure it is running ok!