• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

I know mate but there are some tho :insane:

of course if the old Trouble an Strife likes the hobby then that can kybosh it lol :rofl:

Edited by Stormbringer
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Strugglecuddle7 said:

Just picked up a carnage for £40 with a blown brushed motor, i have a spare 2950kv motor and etronix esc from an old ftx outback that i shall put in it, was there any other differences apart from different colour shell and wheels?

Nope that’s basically it 👍

…the only other difference in the RTR kits is brushed comes with 1800mah nimh and brushless comes with 3250mah lipo

That’s a cheap car in anyone’s book, nice one 👍

Edited by walkbythesea
  • Like 2

Just now, Strugglecuddle7 said:

I assume its pretty easy to turn into a vantage if i fancy?

Smaller wheels, ever so slightly shorter arms and a spoiler. Think that’s the main/only differences?

Hi all if just rounded the hex on my 2an lot of carnage tyres .  The alloy hex seams to round off the plastic hex .

Can I buy metal wheels .as iv only ever seen plastic .and which ones fit the carnage /and tyres   as i have 2 good sets of tyres and 2 rubbish sets of wheels . ..

As i will take the carnage tyres off there bust wheels and put them on to new wheels that fit . Thanks 

7 hours ago, Iain .R said:

Hi all if just rounded the hex on my 2an lot of carnage tyres .  The alloy hex seams to round off the plastic hex .

Can I buy metal wheels .as iv only ever seen plastic .and which ones fit the carnage /and tyres   as i have 2 good sets of tyres and 2 rubbish sets of wheels . ..

As i will take the carnage tyres off there bust wheels and put them on to new wheels that fit . Thanks 

Personally I haven’t suffered with this problem, but I have noticed that the nut which secures the wheel on has eaten into the plastic on it and if it gets worse May cut right through.

I think there is a fine balance between too tight and too loose. Seems to me that you could tighten yours a little more to cure your problem, and maybe I should stop ‘He-Maning’ mine on to meet in the middle somewhere?

I would be concerned about using alloy rims for 2 reasons:

- could bend out of shape for on impact 

- will add additional weight/strain to the drivetrain

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ant.p said:

Personally I haven’t suffered with this problem, but I have noticed that the nut which secures the wheel on has eaten into the plastic on it and if it gets worse May cut right through.

I think there is a fine balance between too tight and too loose. Seems to me that you could tighten yours a little more to cure your problem, and maybe I should stop ‘He-Maning’ mine on to meet in the middle somewhere?

I would be concerned about using alloy rims for 2 reasons:

- could bend out of shape for on impact 

- will add additional weight/strain to the drivetrain

Hi . I have mine done up tight as I have the small ☆washer on there as well soni need them tight to get the lock part the nut over the thread as I could do with these being slightly thinner nuts or longer thread . But there tight . But saying that if there was very tight the hex would not be able to move inside the wheel then . 

Even the alloy hex has worn on 2 of them there almost round now . 

I get you with the alloy wheels tho .   Oo well need to buy my 3 set carnage wheels . And mess about removing tyres again     more pink wheels coming 

1 hour ago, Iain .R said:

Even the alloy hex has worn on 2 of them there almost round now . 

If the 12mm wheel hex is at all worn, this is likely the main issue. I’d replace these at the same time and I bet that combined with new rims will cure the issue!

On 27/05/2021 at 13:23, Ant.p said:

You’re welcome. It does seem mad, especially when you are likely to break it again on the very next outing!

the torro bumper is quite a bit larger than the carnage one, so does change the aesthetics. When I’m home I’ll post a photo for reference of the two next to each other (if I get a chance).

I didn’t know anyone either, but a quick search on Facebook marketplace found a local chap for me. You may have the same luck?

Managed to get the spare Torro Bumper and Ally chassis plate.  Is it all quite easy to swap over?  Anything I should be extra careful with etc??  I have exploded diagrams and will photo as much as poss!

If you turn it upside down and take all the screws out then the whole lot should come off the chassis in one piece and you can lay the new chassis over it and screw it all to the new one. Don't over tighten the diff housing screws they strip the thread really easy.

Torro bumper can be a bit of a pain to line up and screw in properly you'll need a bit of patience with it

Edited by Scottyb

On 04/06/2021 at 17:44, Ant.p said:

Don’t get me wrong, I owe a lot to the carnage. It only did good things for us. Was my sons 1st car and my return to the hobby car. 

they’re cheap and fragile, but with select upgrades done, they are super fast and relatively durable. Just a fantastic option for those considering stepping into RC without breaking the bank.

the carnage reminded me how much fun you can have and we’re now hooked!

My vantage has topped 60+ MPH has hit a few curbs and gone end over end  on tarmac, so far damage is just a non standard rear wing

• Like 1

4 hours ago, pgainey said:

Managed to get the spare Torro Bumper and Ally chassis plate.  Is it all quite easy to swap over?  Anything I should be extra careful with etc??  I have exploded diagrams and will photo as much as poss!

You’ll need a little double sided tape to re stick your esc to the alloy chassis. Just wiggle the esc till it releases from the plastic chassis before doing anything else.Otherwise, as already said above:

flip the car over and it’s a straightforward job if methodical with the screws. Good luck 👍🏻

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

My vantage has topped 60+ MPH has hit a few curbs and gone end over end  on tarmac, so far damage is just a non standard rear wing

By contrast, mine tops out around 35mph and has been broken beyond use within minutes of most outings. This isn’t because Ive been ‘sending it’ either, just little bumps have snapped parts. I can only remember 2 times I was able to take the car out after a previous use without repairs in between. I have lost count of the amount of almost fully charged lipos I have had to discharge to storage mode and then wait for spares to be delivered.

To be fair, most of this happened between December and early April and I appreciate plastic is more brittle in colder conditions, however in general I have found them (I have 2) fragile.

That said, still a great car, especially now I’ve replaced the weak points with alloy. The main issue I sometimes have now is the front diff breaking.

Edited by Ant.p

I swapped the CVD drive shafts over    on the weekend. To the same as the front .  As I was fed up after I crashed only when the car goes bum over tit cartwheels .the rear wee shaft would come out . So I swapped them over to the same as the ffront.And yep I done a supa fast spin so the car would flip cartwheels  and the car fine   no looking for we drive shafts.  

I also changed the small   suspension holders from plastic to alloy  and drilled the 2 small lineup holes bigger as the back section didnt sit straight if the wee holes lined up the suspension holes didnt    so now they do . 

19 hours ago, walkbythesea said:

Put the screws in order as you take them out and the reverse the process so you don’t get them mixed up - they’re different lengths. 

The Torro bumper will need 20mm screws to secure the top brace. 

Cheers Bud.  Are the screws M3 or M4?