• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

6 hours ago, Ant.p said:

Glad the thicker oil helped. I did it to mine on some good advice from the guys at Modelsport and it made all the difference for me.

The springs are more for the ride height than the dampening. Maybe try raising the collar a bit, so the spring doesn’t cause the car to bounce with aggressive rebound.

Yeah I did try it before but it seemed to sit really low at the front when I wound them up a bit

Hi, I’ve been out with the vantage today and have somehow melted the wheel nut and hex into the wheel, the wheel fell off and it turned out the nut had melted through the wheel, I can’t seem to get the other one off either, it also seems to have started to happen to the front. I’ll attach some pictures, has anyone else had this happen?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, oscart2005 said:

Hi, I’ve been out with the vantage today and have somehow melted the wheel nut and hex into the wheel, the wheel fell off and it turned out the nut had melted through the wheel, I can’t seem to get the other one off either, it also seems to have started to happen to the front. I’ll attach some pictures, has anyone else had this happen?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Blimey, looks like your wheels have been in contact with the knuckle arms and hubs. Have you changed from the stock wheels?

there are alloy 12mm hex nuts on eBay (amongst other places) which are slightly thicker than the original plastic ones, adding space between the wheels and hubs/knuckle arms. I purchased these after replacing my wheels with aftermarket as I could clearly see there was going to be a problem if I didn’t do anything - the wheels hardly turned so I had to do something!

6 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

Blimey, looks like your wheels have been in contact with the knuckle arms and hubs. Have you changed from the stock wheels?

there are alloy 12mm hex nuts on eBay (amongst other places) which are slightly thicker than the original plastic ones, adding space between the wheels and hubs/knuckle arms. I purchased these after replacing my wheels with aftermarket as I could clearly see there was going to be a problem if I didn’t do anything - the wheels hardly turned so I had to do something!

I was only on the stock wheels, would it be worth getting the alloy hex's that ftx sell and the alloy knuckles because I have a feeling there was just a lot of heat that melted all the plastic bits around it?

I was doing a lot of drifting on a very dusty bit so that might have caused a lot of heat build up.

Edited by oscart2005

7 minutes ago, oscart2005 said:

I was only on the stock wheels, would it be worth getting the alloy hex's that ftx sell and the alloy knuckles because I have a feeling there was just a lot of heat that melted all the plastic bits around it?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-mm-wheel-hex-nut-rc-car-1-10-hsp-ftx-upgrade-fast-UK-dispatch-/233808130067?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Edited by Ant.p

sorry for the ridiculously long link. They are the ones I got. Quite cheap and did the trick!

you don’t need to upgrade to alloy hub and knuckle but I chose to just because they look nice.

the original tires and inserts aren’t great anyway, so replacing them is a good thing.

Edited by Ant.p

Just now, Ant.p said:

sorry for the ridiculously long link. They are the ones I got. Quite cheap and did the trick!

you don’t need to upgrade to alloy hub and knuckle but I chose to just because they look nice.

the original wheels aren’t great anyway, so replacing them is a good thing.

Are the fastrax ones any good because I already have a rear set so I'll only need a front set?

Iv got them on all 4 my cars   as they are way better that the waste of space plastic ones . they slightest bit thicker so it moves the wheel away from the car just a wee bit  and they nice tight fit so less chance the wheel turning in them.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iain .R said:

Iv got them on all 4 my cars   as they are way better that the waste of space plastic ones . they slightest bit thicker so it moves the wheel away from the car just a wee bit  and they nice tight fit so less chance the wheel turning in them.  

2 minutes ago, Ant.p said:

the original wheels aren’t great anyway, so replacing them is a good thing.

Okay cheers for the help👍

1 minute ago, oscart2005 said:

Are the fastrax ones any good because I already have a rear set so I'll only need a front set?

Found some cheaper, so just edited the link. I’m not sure you can buy just 2 at a time?

23 minutes ago, oscart2005 said:

I'll look around, are there any suggestions for wheels and tyres for buggies? 

Mine are fantastic, but I’m worried to recommend them as I have been having no end of trouble with my front diff since fitting them. I now wonder if they are too large and heavy; adding too much additional strain to the drivetrain. Im not even getting through a single battery without taking teeth off the diff gears. My carnage is currently running rear wheel drive as a result, as I simply can’t be bothered to strip it all down again for 30 mins of bashing.

That said, I’ be been landing on concrete in a skate park from over 2 meters and the cars otherwise been taking the punishment! 😁

Edited by Ant.p

Just now, Ant.p said:

Mine are fantastic, but I’m worried to recommend them as I have been having no end of trouble with my front diff since fitting them. I now wonder if they are too large and heavy; adding too much additional strain to the drivetrain. Im not even getting through a single battery without taking teeth off the diff gears. My carnage is currently running rear wheel drive as a result, as I simply can’t be bothered to strip it all down again for 30 mins of bashing.

I have the vantage so the front ones are lighter so I think it should be a bit better?

2 minutes ago, oscart2005 said:

I have the vantage so the front ones are lighter so I think it should be a bit better?

Yeah, sorry can’t really help here. I’m sure there will be someone on here will pipe up soon with ideas.

24 minutes ago, Gtiracer said:

Have you modified your diffs or had any diff problems yet?

no not yet, not sure how long i plan on running this car, i keep telling myself no more money going it  then i make a tweak and get a little more out of it

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Scottyb said:

Has anyone found stronger diff cups that fit? Mine seem to be slowly bending out where the shafts sit

I got these and I am quite happy with.

Feel subjectively stronger:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FTX-CARNAGE-VANTAGE-HOOLIGAN-Diff-Drive-Cup-4-PCS-UPGRADED-PARTS-UK-FTX6235S-/184500890499?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l10137.c10&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

Sadly, out of stock for now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jack Reacher said:

no not yet, not sure how long i plan on running this car, i keep telling myself no more money going it  then i make a tweak and get a little more out of it

Thanks, I'm sure you've probably said in an earlier post but what motor esc and spur/pinion do you use please?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jens said:

Thanks mate, i'll stick them on my watch list

7 hours ago, Gtiracer said:

Thanks, I'm sure you've probably said in an earlier post but what motor esc and spur/pinion do you use please?

surpass 3660 3300kv motor, hobbywing 8bl 120 esc with a bit of chassis cut away to get it in, 23T pinion and 48T Acetal spur

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

surpass 3660 3300kv motor, hobbywing 8bl 120 esc with a bit of chassis cut away to get it in, 23T pinion and 48T Acetal spur

Hi  this is a vantage   yea   hows this off road or is it just for road   ifnits not vantage  what car is it again   again hows it off road if it goes off road   cheers