• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

FTX Vantage/Carnage owners Thread

2 hours ago, Ant.p said:

I took a measurement before dismantling the first time. The distance between the m4 nut and slipper drive cup was approx 8mm as factory fitted.

image.jpg

I did measure mine at 13mm before i took it apart and set it back to that but didn't run it with the standard spur on it so didn't know if it would be any different. I have adjusted it to 7mm now though and seems to be catching better so i'll try it out tomorrow 👍

Edited by Scottyb

You know when your old  your kids drive  to fast   lol 

Its just i want to  buy a other set and there 2 sets one 17mm and carry remember what the other set was  just thought if you can/could member what you used   I'll just buy them any way as I know they fit on the front of the carnage.   Cheers 

2 hours ago, Iain .R said:

I know it says rear  and iv got them on the front  (as long it dont make the car go in reverese  lol ) 

I did have to use a pair of grips to make the bottom a bit smaller as it was almost the same size as the black base cup  but small squeeze of the grips and fits perfect . And supa firm  no bottom out with these .  

I just typed in the part number and its come up as   FIRM     so I guess the ftx ones are soft as there is a real diffenace between them  . 

Just thought I'd point that out    so there are stiffer ones out there  to honest I dont think you need any stiffer  as I push down on these and it shoots back up  drop the car on  and its bounch to a stop  no bottoming out and no bounching about   so any more than these I think be too much  I'll have a bash to tomorrow and let you know  how it handles .  

22 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

Well we lasted all of 5 minutes today 

IMG_20210411_151210841.jpg

Ouch. Did you lose the dogbone? If you need to replace, get a set of the front CVD,s to stop it happening again

6 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

Do the cvd's fit the rear then? i just ordered some alloy hubs off rcgeeks, luckliy the dogbone popped out and wedged itself in the chassis

That’s exactly what I did. Since replacing a few bits with alloy, the cars great!

yeah, they fit both ends. Makes me wonder why they don’t just use the CVD as standard each end 🤷🏼‍♂️

Yea it's a bit stupid they didn't, i think i'll just replace anything that breaks with ally, it's relatively cheap bar the front hub parts.

Bit peeved though about the crap quality of the plastic, it only jumped about a foot in the air and it landed flat with no slap and it just snapped 🤬

A bit of superglue and no jumps til the postie arrives 🤣

Edited by Scottyb
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

Yea it's a bit stupid they didn't, i think i'll just replace anything that breaks with ally, it's relatively cheap bar the front hub parts.

Bit peeved though about the crap quality of the plastic, it only jumped about a foot in the air and it landed flat with no slap and it just snapped 🤬

You know what they say - Buy cheap, buy twice. 
I’ve enjoyed the challenge of making the carnage more robust. I’ve spent a small fortune doing it, but it’s a great car.

1 minute ago, Scottyb said:

Would the cvd's be the same as the vantage do you know? can get them for free off amazon 😛 

I believe so, but not 100% sure. I know the chassis are very similar.

Took part in the ONS Covid survey so i get swabbed every month to see if i've got it and a £25 amazon voucher for the trouble lol

The chassis is exactly the same as far i can see but the CVD's are slightly different part numbers, might be worth risking it 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

The chassis is exactly the same as far i can see but the CVD's are slightly different part numbers, might be worth risking it 

I agree, but I’ve just had a quick look on google and can’t see it mentioned anywhere that they are actually the same. Having looked on Modelsport etc, they’re  even sold at different prices, so I’m now in a little doubt they are cross compatible. Still can’t be sure though 🤷🏼‍♂️

4 hours ago, Jack Reacher said:

I need to put a different shell on my Vantage, with the 120amp hobbywing i am struggling to get the shell on now, any idea`s what to use to give a little more room

I've always wondered if the Strada xb shell would fit? Or maybe a phat bodies shell if they make a 1/10 one? Other than that I don't know

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scottyb said:

Vantage CVD's are 107mm, Carnage/Bugsta ones are 123mm 😆 ah well

hope you managed to find this out before you ordered? If not at least you can return to Amazon!

42 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

I didn't order than was trying to find out if they would fit first and obvs not. 

Got a bit of bling in the post today, let's see what we can break later 😂

IMG_20210413_111714296~2.jpg

I’ll be interested to know how the shock towers last. I’m well pleased with the carbon ones I have, but my son wants some ‘bling’ on his, so to keep the visually different but still pimped, I may go down this route.

They feel great in the hand and look pretty robust, at least with these if i do bend them i can just hopefully hammer them back, much better than the crap that came on the car though. So much more satisfying screwing screws into metal rather than plastic too lol

21 minutes ago, Scottyb said:

They feel great in the hand and look pretty robust, at least with these if i do bend them i can just hopefully hammer them back, much better than the crap that came on the car though. So much more satisfying screwing screws into metal rather than plastic too lol

I have a few alloy parts on mine as well as the carbon. Just a heads up, I have had a few screws come lose from the alloy, so I would recommend some loctite on them. 
ive bent a few of the alloy body posts and on trying to reshape them, they tend to just snap. They’re cheap enough, so not a big issue, and that’s not to say you’ll suffer the same problem if you try to reshape, but just to go easy if you ever try.

if nothing else, the chassis are much easier on the eye with the carbon/alloy parts. Generally speaking though, it’s massively improved the overall crash resistance to breakage having upgraded a handful of parts on each car, so well worth it.

Got through 2 batteries with loads of somersaults and no breakages today 😁😁😁

I'm only getting 20mins out of each battery though and @Jens said I'd get around 40mins each with my setup. The low voltage cutoff is set to intermediate on the esc from factory, I don't know if I should change it to low?  Have multimetered them both when I got back and they both read 6.9v but the car won't go anywhere. There's no guide in the book as to what voltage the cutoffs are. I'm guessing low would be something around 6v.

I don't think it's the thermal cutoff as the motor is hot but not hot enough for me to not hold my hand on it

Edited by Scottyb

Nvm i just put them on the charger and they are both 3.4V per cell, i got about 40mins out the first one on gravel with zero traction which i thought would run it down quicker and 20ish out the 2nd one on grass so must be the surface i'm using it on!

Edited by Scottyb