• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Baja 5SCe Brushless - El Beasto \m/

Noj

cheers gents, have looked at the V2 and they are a nice piece of kit - I think I may have bought the wrong conversion kit so will pop onto petrol and follow up on that brake thread for some more info.

and yes, it did come from JE hence the Haribos, which are looooooong gone!

• 3 weeks later...

AAAARRRGGGGHHHHH - the sounds of frustration chaps!

Nothing has been added to the chassis for a long long time now, but there is a valid reason: NO CONVERSION KIT! Am attempting to order the RC-Monster kit, currently out of stock, but am e.mailing Mike to sort one out asap. In essence, although i have things such as shocks to build up, Mecatech brakes to fit, kinda pointless doing so until the chassis has been sorted out with the kit. Worst case scenario is having to run with the castle kit and no rear brakes, which I'm not inclined to do....

Nick will be sorting out the esc/motor but appreciate he's a busy chap.... :whistling:

Anyway, I'm a bit fed up with it all at the mo as the finish date gets further away :( .....maybe June, poss July???? Thanks for bearing with me, I shall bash away with the Losi until things move again.....

Joe....

Bless you for that link, cheap set up as well and MAY cure the new problem that has manifested itself (but then a build wouldn't be fun w/o them, would it???); Mike at RCM has been back in touch - he was putting a kit together for me, but got delayed by a bulk order. The kit will be ready in the next few days (and I was planning to order some of their CVDs for the Slash's anyway....) BUT the monster motor may not fit....as in, the can will, but the bullet connectors will foul on the rear chassis plate; the one you've linked to, by having open ends, could just solve that.

However I know 3 people on here run the RCM kit and it has a proven background; I'd be gutted to try something that then buckled first time out, esp with so much expensive equipment inside that chassis! I'll see if there are any reviews/vids of it. Thanks though, greatly appreciated :thumbsup:

Alza's stuff is well proven buddy, if you search on here for josh's haymonster build you'll see just what he can do =] hope this helps

http://www.savage-central.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=91444 if you have a read a lot fo stuff came from dejan and shows the quality of his work

Edited by norcoforever

wait a minute.... What motor have you ordered?

The 3080 is way too long to fit in a baja no matter what mount you use... Much much wider than the rear chassis plate. You would have to widen the whole back end to fit it in...

That motor mount is an almost identical design to the RC monster one as i said earlier, same dimensions so motor fitment will be the same in both :)

edit: i found a pic

sv3p6q.jpg

Edited by Bazzokajoe
  • Like 1

Whoa guys, info overload, let me process this for a moment......

K, seems I've not researched properly, oops. The Lehner motor hasn't yet been ordered, neither has the MGM ESC. I'm going MGM because of the waterproofing of the electronics; My experience of castle is thus - MM in the EMBE, re-branded system in the Losi Ten - I love the power available, my inherent fear is of moisture damage, based upon reading what owners here have said and advice from MS. I seldom use the EMBE as I'm fearful of moisture damage. Does this sound silly? Probably. I'm still very much a newb. Joe, you run the Castle system w/o any problems and do not use brakes - could you explain how this works, as I was led to believe by adding brakes, it reduces the need for the motor to brake the vehicle, thereby extending motor and esc life? Is this the system you run?: http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=39914

The motor was suggested as a very high end and quality piece of kit which would give me the power without the need to stress the components. I accept that my lack of knowledge on this has perhaps led me down a path of problem and headache. It wasn't until Mike mentioned the length issue that I was aware of the problem. From your picture Joe, it will never fit. Thank you for saving me a lot of money and heartache - a beer or three is owed for that :thumbsup:

Had I decided to go straight for the Castle set up, I would have been bashing now. In fact, I could have run it on petrol and then converted to brushless.... I would possibly have been less hacked off with myself had I done so, but we'll never know now! The Castle Conversion kit is sat here ready to go back to MS lol

I am very grateful for your input and advice - honestly, I was beginning to feel that I had somehow put people's noses out of joint with this build; newb comes along with little knowledge and thinks by throwing money at something all will be well. That was never my intention - when I find a hobby that sorts me out, I always go in full tilt and am fortunate to be able to do so. I am also not someone that will throw money into something where it isn't warranted either....it also helps manage my depression, or aggrevates it, which it is doing at the moment unfortunately. All I want to build is a sturdy and reliable SC that will provide lots of fun, on the grounds that when I get it right, another one will eventually follow (for Deb of course, not me.....)

....so basically I can still change my motor and esc choice. As for the conversion kit, I feel I am tied to buying from Mike as he has set time aside to actually get a kit made for me and I respect that level of customer service, tempting as Alza's kit is! Joe is happy with Castle, Jony, I believe you had some issues with your MGM but you and others run this system? If they are a PIA to set up and run, then am I right in thinking Joe that you can connect to the Castle programme box and set up via that rather than a PC?

Likewise the Slipper clutch, as I note neither of you run them? I said at the start of this I was a bit in over my head; methinks said hole has just deepened :shockingscary: