• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

A starter car for my girlfriend.

louder

Hey everyone,

My girlfriend has been driving my Slash 4x4 a lot recently and has really gotten into it, she used to occasionally drive my Mini Z round the house but she is obsessed with the power of the Slash, going sideways and wheelies but most of all she is learning to jump (my poor slash shell!)

I am trying to find a car for her to give her after Christmas for our anniversary. It really needs to be electric and off road. As regards 2wd or 4wd I dont think she would have a preference as lot as it's a hoot to drive, the only issue she is having with the slash at the moment is it has a bit too much power and she often ends up flipping it. Also the simpler the better. While I will be fixing it at first I want something she can easily come to understand and work on. I don't know if a monster truck would be appropriate as she takes corners quite hard. There don't need to be lots of upgrades available for it. I just want something she can grow with (and so I can get my slash back!)

Any ideas?

All of the above are a good choice.

Firestorm: Strong out of the box, handles very well but replacement parts are expensive.

Rustler: Strong out of the box, handles well, good electrics, cheap replacement parts.

RS2: Competiviely priced. Decent handling, cheap replacement parts

I run a Rustler and cannot fault it and is my personal recommendation

Edited by Horny_Lambo

Well I myself rate the Rustler as a great car (having owned one years ago) My concern over the Firestorm is the price difference to the Rustler for parts. If something breaks on the Rustler I can not only get cheap parts but also look at the possibility of upgrading to RPM for her at a later date (if she breaks stuff a lot.

I am also wondering if I should go with brushless? She has been driving my Slash 4x4 with a 2200kv MMM in and she does ok, flips it a lot but then I do as well! Does the Firestorm come with a battery? I will let her use one of two of my LiPos but it would be great if she had her own. I think realistically I will fall between the Firestorm and the Rustler. I guess it will come down to price in the end. My brother has a Rustler VXL so it might be better to pick that seeing as there is a bunch of spares already in the house.

Edited by louder