• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

3 hours ago, Grogg said:

How do people feel about doing it all on your kitchen counter top, and with tools bought from Poundland years ago in the days when everything they sold cost a quid?

I have built a scale version of the Mclaren Technology centre in my garage. Fitted with the most expensive gear I could find. I have an auto laser tolerance gauge, CNC machine, CF autoclave, 3D printer to name a few pieces of equipment. 

Then I wake up and realise I'm actually scumming it up on my office desk with keyboard and screen still there. But I do have fancy tools but not RC specific as I do think you get what you pay for when it comes to tools (plus I use them not just for RC).

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, totlxtc said:

I have built a scale version of the Mclaren Technology centre in my garage. Fitted with the most expensive gear I could find. I have an auto laser tolerance gauge, CNC machine, CF autoclave, 3D printer to name a few pieces of equipment. 

Then I wake up and realise I'm actually scumming it up on my office desk with keyboard and screen still there. But I do have fancy tools but not RC specific as I do think you get what you pay for when it comes to tools (plus I use them not just for RC).

I've been looking at buying a 3D printer, not for RC use I started looking at them years ago.  And I just can't justify them, I don't think that they are currently capable of being used to produce anything better than prototype quality, single/minimal use parts, or sacrificial molds, no matter what style or type of 3D printer used, or medium printed with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hell horn. said:

Lately I have mostly working on this. 

It's almost done now. Just a few bits to finish off. 

Full interior with tools and drinks. McDonald's breakfast included. Full engine bay.  Bonnet lifts up to see.  Bed is a working winch setup.  I'm going to make the Frame adjustable with some rams at some point. And I needs some better Axles at some point too.  But it's very close to being finished 

PXL_20230410_175127100.jpg

PXL_20230410_175120101.jpg

PXL_20230410_175110861.jpg

PXL_20230410_175058706.jpg

PXL_20230410_170621803.jpg

PXL_20230410_170617881.jpg

PXL_20230410_162919732.jpg

Awesome.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, totlxtc said:

Agree about the tools, I mostly have Amazon specials but do have a couple of Wera drives for the 1/24 stuff, definitely makes a huge difference.

24 minutes ago, Grogg said:

I've been looking at buying a 3D printer, not for RC use I started looking at them years ago.  And I just can't justify them, I don't think that they are currently capable of being used to produce anything better than prototype quality, single/minimal use parts, or sacrificial molds, no matter what style or type of 3D printer used, or medium printed with.

I run a Ender 5 pro. And have parts in my cars I printed over a year ago in pla tough.  It's definitely strong enough to make real world parts and parts that are strong enough to take a beating. 

I have a Skid on my Rock crawler that's a year old.  Been beaten to hell and back and still going strong.  Pm me if you want dude.  More then happy to help you sort it.  I run Viking cove RC on Facebook and make all sorts of stuff 

• Like 1

Just now, Stormbringer said:

Told you 

Resistance is futile :rofl:

Well if I can sell the stuff I have for sale I’ll buy one 👍 along with a truck load of parts like the TRX4 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Stormbringer said:

Fitted the metal bumpers that arrived today 2 weeks early lol

4MdVmTl.jpg

Jio1gQs.jpg

7tue9DQ.jpg

For some reason, the 1/18 scale look never appealed to me but that looks brilliant.

Love the big Lanny mudflaps.

• Like 1

Nothing.

Apparently my kids highly technical, remotely controlled, off road capable models (apparently they call them toys?) needed fettling so my stuff sits quietly.

IMG20230416073423.thumb.jpg.4f7bbf82f37dd572a43ed396a70efb76.jpg

• Haha 1

Replaced the worn drive pins with some fresh ones on my RC8B3.1e. Managed it without a dedicated tool in the end. UK monster don't sell them any more and all the others are daft money. I used a bike chain tool and a bench vice instead. Not actually too difficult, I would recommend trying this to anyone before buying a new driveshaft.

image.png.242ab9805d37dc77c6948d3a72b38f49.png

• Like 2

Well had planned to start the baja for the first time have a go on the scx6 and fit the 2 speed and diff lockers on the trx4 only managed to fit the 2 speed as people would not leave me alone today 🤣

• Haha 2