• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

Finally got the clipped Bixler in the air after some minor mods to account for different wings.

Before:

20140105_125009.jpg

And after:

20140321_130840_HDR.jpg

Wow, what a different beast it is after just cutting the end of the wings off!!

Nose looks like it's had a bit of work too! :P

Yes, I've used the ground to re-shape it on the odd occasion.  :whistling:

It's actually taped so looks messier than it really is but I will admit it's not overly straight anymore. You can't see from that angle but it's been chopped 1/2 way through, just underneath the prop, when the motor slipped and the prop sliced through the tail. There's also a repair, just under the rear stabilizer, where I snapped the tail off trying to catch it lol.

Got a new one sitting in the boot of my car but waiting for all the bits to arrive from HK. That's the problem with having open orders from 3 different HK warehouses!

Was it expensive?

What, new Bixler? About $60 + shipping so no, not at all. Foam planes are really cheap from HK, just the shipping can sometimes be expensive.

It's the leds, connectors, new motor etc etc etc that is putting the cost up  :yes:

Yeah the Bixler. I guess it doesnt really matter too much if you remodel it, on every (crash)landing, quite so much then. :P

I still try and come in cleanly but when you can't, it's not a major issue. The hardest is when slope soaring. We're not allowed power up at dassett so landings are an all or nothing job. You screw it up, you have nothing to get you out of trouble.

Saying that though, my mate lost control of his and slammed it into the ground from about 50m up. When we got to it (it was in the adjoining field), it was sticking up, the battery had popped through the fuselage, the motor was no longer mounted and one wing had come out. I tried to be positive and said with a bit of hot water it'll be fine, he wasn't so sure. Turned up the next day happy as anything because the boiling water had re-shaped it fine and wings were easy to fix. He says it's more twitchy now but the wind today was ridic so it might have been that.

Balsa models, it seems to you set fire to them rather than try and repair. With foamies, it's generally accepted that when it becomes more glue than foam, you should consider replacing it. :xd:

• Like 1

I fitted a new 2 part air filter..re oiled my shocks...fitted a new one way bearing...changed all the E clip shafts to nylock nut and bolts...fitted the new upgraded battery tray....made and fitted some cooling fin protectors out of fuel line...fitted new fuel line and filter all on my Hyper 7

After doing some work on my own Baja I stole the steering servo out of it for the b!tch (as she is now known) apologies mods if I can't put that, I'm not trying to avoid the swear filter, that's the actual name.

The front end is fully complete, killswitch all wired up, got to stick a nut on the end of the hub bolts and it's complete anyway.

Engine is sat in but not secured yet, still need to build the back end up first, but yeah she's getting there, looking forward to giving her a run! :)

IMG_3471_zps62bd90a5.jpg

bought a helion dominus brushless truggy version on sunday bent it very badly (wish i had pictures) on sunday. chassis, driveshaft and top brace. all bent back now and working as should not a spare part bought.

Tried time after time to get the two winches on my recovery truck working without creeping ith my hacked GT3B with no success, so gave up with that and fitted another battery and gave the winches their own controller (Spectrum DX2).

So now I need to carry two TX's with me but it does look really cool when it's all up and running.

Roll on tomorrow at Yarwell.

Tore 3 of my nanda block tyres from there rims on 4s and my new / second hand 1965 scream motor. :nasty:

20140319_192433_zps36f1c805.jpg

I know ther not top end motors but so much smoother and loads more torque than my little un-known 60mm can. 

12cf6f62-faec-4d12-87d2-6303978339c2_zps

20140322_124550_zps4227cfce.jpg

20140322_124555_zpsd0c9ce83.jpg

Ran nice and cool but a bit slow on 3s.  Fairly rapid on 4s and still cool temps. I'm thinking this motor probably needs gearing up a couple of teeth 18/19 rather than 16. it clocked around 38 - 39 mph on roughish grass. So I may have to look into getting a hobbywing 150amp ezrun or xerun and run maybe 4s,5s,6s, lipos. would like to get closer to 55mph really. not sure why it just seems to be a target in my head.  :naughty:

Put some crawler tyres in the washing machine and they came out spotless and are nice and sticky again :lol:

Wait until SWMBO finds out lol. I used the dishwasher to clean a buggy while she was away, cleaned it out and everything.

Kids dobbed me in. Still don't hear the end of it, lol.

Edited by tonysmini

Started to pack me cars and kit for house move, although the Kalahari, lipos, charger etc, stay out and will be travelling with me tomorrow, off for the week up to Birmingham, residential training course.