• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

I've been breaking in an LRP ZR.32 in my LST2 Spec 1/8 Raminator - neighbours must love me, but I keep it to after 11:00, before 19:00 in Summer (or 'dark' in Winter).

I've questioned the 5.25 / 5.5 needle settings as it seems quite high, but they are correct, possibly a little lean when it's warmed up!

It's a 'beast' but I'll have to be patient and respect the heat cycling, and after-run oil .....

Can't wait to get this fully running.

It's had 3 tanks on 'suspended static' and now 1 tank on light throttle openings. Time to start stretching it's legs, a little !!!

Al.

Damn!!

That about sums it up!

It's a flyer.

Still very rich and have 'glugged' (my selection!) the first plug, so have leaned 1/5 on the high and left the low, and have started holding it a little in 2nd gear.

I still haven't gone before perhaps 1/4 - 1/3 throttle for more than 5 seconds.

I did this with the last one - a ZR.30 and it lasted at least 15 litres or 70 tanks +/- which is fairly good going from my limited experience.

I like 'spannering', but I have my limits!!

The '30' was being over-revved but still quite strong, whilst I had transmission problems - turned out to be a OWB on the 2-speed.

This possibly changed/overheated the block and I first 'threaded' the plug requiring a replacement button, then on inserting the new one, a couple of the cooling head bolts were threaded - reckoned this was more than co-incidence, and not just because I've been heavy-handed after spannering the LargeScales.

Decided to call it a day on the '30' as I already had the '32' when I first thought the '30' was stuffed a few months ago.....

A reset was required on the throttle / brake, so the throw must be larger. I'd tried using an RB Concepts carburettor as it's not all alloy .... another story.

The 32's running well.

Al.

It's a flyer.

Still very rich and have 'glugged' (my selection!) the first plug, so have leaned 1/5 on the high and left the low, and have started holding it a little in 2nd gear.

I still haven't gone before perhaps 1/4 - 1/3 throttle for more than 5 seconds.

The 32's running well.

Al.

Also been running in my 32 today Atom! The standard needle settings didn't seem rich enough for break in, so I reckon I've had to richen the HSN a full turn, maybe more, this afternoon.

EDIT: In fact, scratch that. I richened up the HSN whilst the engine was hot and running. When coming to re-start a cold engine, the thing was WAY too rich to be started. Fuel everywhere! I havent touched the LSN yet. Run about 3 tank fulls so far... And by golly the thing is tight! Even loosening the glow plug/pre-heating, my arm feels like its dropping off.

Even running on stock carb settings though, this thing really hauls the truck around. Good grief I need a better throttle/brake servo now! Keep your thoughts coming please Atom! Either here or on the LST forum/thread? (if there is one?)

Also been running in my 32 today Atom! The standard needle settings didn't seem rich enough for break in, so I reckon I've had to richen the HSN a full turn, maybe more, this afternoon.

EDIT: In fact, scratch that. I richened up the HSN whilst the engine was hot and running. When coming to re-start a cold engine, the thing was WAY too rich to be started. Fuel everywhere! I havent touched the LSN yet. Run about 3 tank fulls so far... And by golly the thing is tight! Even loosening the glow plug/pre-heating, my arm feels like its dropping off.

Even running on stock carb settings though, this thing really hauls the truck around. Good grief I need a better throttle/brake servo now! Keep your thoughts coming please Atom! Either here or on the LST forum/thread? (if there is one?)

MoFoHo your description covers much of my observations.

I did notice once warming up that the smoke was less, thus 'leaning off' as you say.

I re-richened perhaps 1/5 turn.

It was VERY messy when it was initially being broken in on the stand.

I'm going to go against the trend.

The LRP R5 is a cold/medium plug, which the OS8 definitely isn't.

It's always been named 'the default' big block plug, so like a Lemming I've used them, and they are good, but the ZR engines are always running hot.

I've fitted an A5 I had knocking around, which matches the LRP plug by definition - Cold/Medium - and it runs no differently.

Whilst still super tight, if it croaks, when really hot, it is difficult to re-start.

I'm waiting to run a few more tanks through it and start tuning better.

I've ordered the Losi standard fuel tubing to replace the showey fluorescent tubing, in case there's something there - OLD Losi gear was always near as dammit perfect.

I've found that Apex have the best 'local' (UK) price for LRP R5 plugs, so I'll be going there for a few I reckon.

Al.

spannering: a definition please,.. :blush:

Spannering? Really?

Getting your hands dirty / Got the tools out to adjust the settings, etc. ....

Spannering!!

Al.

Also known as "wrenching"...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Ran my merv (only 3 runs old) today, after 15 minutes that little s#!t stock servo gave up on me. So i took it inside, bring savage out and ran it on car park.

Colleague at work here in St Helens has just recently received a MERV.

2 steering servos have gone for apparently no real reason.

My MERV's one of the originals and I've - touching a load of wood .... - never had this problem.

I'm waiting for a replacement rear diff as the gears are stuffed - probably just the ring, but I've 'spannered' this quite a lot, so for not much more I found a full back end on US Fleabay.

Steering servo seems to be a problem - lowered quality?

Get in touch with the shop mate - it seems to be a known problem, unless you really stuffed it?

Al.

Went to our home water and gave my newly fixed turnigy centurion a blast round the pond.. Beautiful day and proper crack :)

Edited by smash