• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What did you do to your model today?

stretch

Actually started to build my RC today, got around a quarter of the way through step one, building the link mounts, I built 1 out of 4 of them, must say considering the amount of raving people do about Tamiya's instruction manuals, I'm far from impressed.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grogg said:

Actually started to build my RC today, got around a quarter of the way through step one, building the link mounts, I built 1 out of 4 of them, must say considering the amount of raving people do about Tamiya's instruction manuals, I'm far from impressed.

You have most likely seen this. Might help if not.

2 minutes ago, totlxtc said:

You have most likely seen this. Might help if not.

Yes, dozens of times now, and I was actually prepared for the issues he had with the link mounts - which I've now built 2 out of 4, my issue has been with the E-Rings, the manual says it comes with 4mm and 5mm ones, and to build the link mounts you need to use the 5mm ones, only every one in the kit is 4mm or less, and they are all in the same bag, so they are not separated by size, like the washers are, so I had to measure every single one of them as the manual, unlike I was led to believe, doesn't actually have 1 to 1 scale diagrams of the parts you need for each step - if you measure the image of the E-Ring in the manual for step one, it's close to 10mm, it's the same with the screws - I dry fitted everything before using threadlock, the screws that are the same size as the images in the manual are far too long to use that they come out of the end of the ball connectors before the ball connectors have been tightened anywhere near enough to touch the plastic parts - C3 and C6, so I had to measure screws to find the 10mm ones.  So I spent more time measuring and sorting bits into a divided small storage box, than I did actually building the RC, a lot more time as in a good few hours.

Hopefully I'll make more progress tomorrow now that I've sorted all the bits into different storage compartments.  I'm far from impressed with both the manual and how the parts, especially metal parts like screws, washers, ball connectors, nuts and so forth are not only packaged, but also the labeling of the packages they are in, nor does the instruction manual tell you half the time.  It's all part of the fun I guess, but after having watched perhaps 100 hours on YouTube about building Tamiya RC cars, and how they where all raving about how good the instruction manual is, I guess I was expecting more from it, it's very different reading the instruction manual to familiarise yourself with it, than it is to use the manual as you are building it.

6 hours ago, Kpowell911 said:

This looks incredibly complicated and ridiculously, pointlessly over engineered. I want one so much!!

The shop Modelsport has it rated as a 4/5 for difficulty, and not only have I never owned an RC before, I've never built one before, this is my very first RC car.  And just to make things even harder for myself, I'm ''converting'' it into a truggy/stadium truck.  I'm not going to be using a lot of the parts that came with the kit, maybe even going so far as swapping out the stock Tamiya transmission - currently considering an Elements one.  I'm already swapping out the stock Tamiya Diffs, bearings, gears, suspension, and hopefully wheels - that's if I can find any that either are a direct fit or a way to convert or adapt to fit a hex fitting.

It's a very marmite RC from everything I've been reading and watching about it, you either love it or hate it.  I can already see why those who love it love it, the two rail chassis gives you a huge amount of options in terms of what you can do to it.  I have read and heard many people refer to the CR-01 chassis as ''the meccano of RC cars'', even just using the parts that come with the kit and nothing else, you can do a lot with or to it build wise, the simplest being altering the wheelbase, which is just a case of putting the link mounts in a different position - screw holes, than is indicated in the manual.  In hindsight having read the manual dozens of times, researching for upgrades, gearing, engines, transmitters, receivers, servos, engines......, and actually started to build it, if I was to start again from scratch I'd just buy the chassis rails and the Rock Socker body shell, and everything else from different brands or even just one brand to mount between the rails, keep in mind that this is not going to be used for rock crawling but racing around goal posts on a football pitch.

Edited by Grogg
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, Alex97 said:

100% for this scale they are fantastic, I'm fortunate enough that part of my apprenticeship was doing CAD so that's a skill that has become pretty useful. 

Thank you, I got it earlier this year in memory of my Grandparents who unfortunately passed away last year. I still need to get their initials engraved onto a link at some point. 

Thats really very cool. What software you using?

• Like 1

Part one of todays installation. Big boi ARB (well for a 1/10). 

12DF6A58-D2F6-491B-9C74-D1B5C292A4B5.thumb.jpeg.1391c6765dbd54e58f0f226a46a11117.jpeg

Now onto something a bit more drastic and time consuming…raising the rear bulkhead by 2mm.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, James.S said:

Took the MT10 out for a spin

20230307_154823.thumb.jpg.b10b05b51cc363d1d8da49e811b0fec9.jpg

20230307_154846.thumb.jpg.06c48fcc75207b53d3552634f7768651.jpg

20230307_154900.thumb.jpg.ad3f72e26e60f10af2e633a5164f8823.jpg

what an awesome fun little truck it is!

And I love the extra touch of front & rear lights. I think it adds a lot to the look.

20230307_155034.thumb.jpg.85f1fe0fe3d281713baff28b00f8ec4a.jpg

20230307_154917.thumb.jpg.f8855ddab8d15f4cb8b519b1205c3118.jpg

Also it was quite wet out so thought I'd give it a try without the dust cover. No worries at all!

20230307_155113.thumb.jpg.6d057893891ffe3a64e8081096035178.jpg

The MT10 seems a decent truck and cool you had fun with it :good:

Does it come with the dustcover or is that an extra ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, totlxtc said:

Very envious! The MT10 does look a lot of fun!!!

All done now. Added the 2mm chassis plate under the rear bulkhead and added the graphite lower brace to try to get more traction on the track (Raises rear bulkhead and suspension). 

IMG_2269.thumb.jpg.3c1024c80be05ac20fec01af35e136e1.jpg

IMG_2279.thumb.jpg.c4f75650996c94f9f9f324dd42c2e770.jpg

IMG_2276.thumb.jpg.6a9574ce40e7d259cfb849b8cdcca344.jpg

Then tidied up some wiring and moved the motor 90 degrees as it fouls on the '21 bodies.
IMG_2278.thumb.jpg.9b464fbfc5b1e67907f3aa83f1607ed6.jpg

And finally, put on a new chassis protector.

IMG_2273.jpg

Looking really good :good:

• Like 1

Cheers bud. She was a little loose at the weekend but better than before so I am hoping this will tighten her up out of corners. Shocks feel better after the change. Just need to do a few tweaks but that is just geometry changes at the track.

• Like 1