• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Desert Buggy thread! (Turnigy, Kyosho, Losi, Axial Exo, HPI C1 buggy) Axial Exo Update Page 6!

Hey guys, I thought i would pop up a thread for the more scale buggys that are comming out now :)

My Turnigy Desert Buggy arrived yesterday and i've just gotten round to uploading some pictures... so i thought i would post up my initial thougts and oppinions pre run (havent had a chance to put 4mm bullets on it yet) :)

Full setup:

35A esc

3300kv 540 motor

5000mah 35c 2s NLB lipo

Flysky GT3B

Stock servo (will look inside on wednesday)

Planned upgrades:

Light kit ;)

Clear body painted in my "bazzokajoe" design with a rockstar Xdurance twist :)

maybe some proline gladatiors at some point in the future if it proves its worth :)

now on with the pictures!

the site that meets you on opening your annonamous brown box,

02122011212.jpg

Well packed and looking good

02122011214.jpg

stickered up

02122011221.jpg

oooh is that a full size 540 can? :)

02122011218.jpg

it looks like it!

03122011224.jpg

quality looking slipper setup, bearings all around.

03122011226.jpg

rib reinforced rims, look fairly durable and tread feels soft and grippy

03122011225.jpg

a quick look in the manual... fairly standard of a lower priced car... the more difficult parts are shown exploded...

02122011220.jpg

the rest of the chassis is shown in an exploded diagram... but whats that at the top? UPGRADED version? comes with metal hubs, shocks, and pivot blocks... may be one to watch :P

02122011219.jpg

My Initial out of the box thoughts:

Wow... its big :P

Seems well made, mesh wasnt perfect (always something to check on assembled vehicles) but everything else seems very well assembled and made :)

Their seems to be a little slop in some of the hubs... but i havent had time to strip down and find the cause of this (wether spacing will fix it)

plastics feel nice, flexible but precise...

Shock oil is WAY to heavy... but springs feel alright for a basher

Love the wheels and tires, feel like they will last a long while and give a lot of grip on grass

the body is as hard to remove as it looks :P have to kinda bend it back on itself to remove it from the font... but that might be my initial technique failing :P

and thats it! i should get tine to solder it up on sunday and have a first run (hopefully i will get a flat mate to film it ;)) and a full strip and further pictures of interest will be posted on wednesday or thursday

so i'll leave you with an overview picture again:

03122011223.jpg

and ask you to post up any comments, queeries and pictures of your own scale looking buggies and trucks!

Edited by Bazzokajoe

Interesting stuff Joe :)

Bearings all round is nice to see....none of those cheapo brass bushings.

Also interesting to see there is an upgraded version. Should mean the upgraded parts will be available to replace broken plastic bits too.

Threaded shock adjustors are good...as for me anyway...is the fact that it has a proper gear diff rather than ball diff. As long as the gears are well made anyway!

Overall it looks like a nice bit of kit :)

I'd consider fitting a bigger rear wing though :)

yep, alot of truck for your buck!

I was also pleasantly surprised by the bearings :) for the price i was expecting tamiya/ansmann brushings ;)

A bigger wing? I was planning on taking it off and mounting a spare tire Dakar style? ;)

I've read its an all metal transmission... But that remains to be seen :)

Edited by Bazzokajoe

Looks great for the money Joe, are you gonna bash it 'normally' or are you going for a 'test to destruction' stylee?

soldered up... First run will be today :) and i should get some video! Bear in mind it will be stock oils... And setup ;)

pop up pictures of your db! Would love to compare them in a bit more depth :)

Edited by Bazzokajoe
  • Like 1

It's been fine for me so far, but I'm only running a 13.5t (2450kv) on 2s, so hardly strenuous on the drivetrain :P Only things I've broken so far have been the rear arm mounts and a turnbuckle. Replaced the rear arm mounts with Hot Racing examples and the turnbuckles are being replaced with Lunsford Titanium ones, so should be pretty bashable now.

Matt

remember nickname... the blue ones are the kyosho ;) the yellow is the hobbyking :P

my light kit has been ordered! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220908282979

after first run yesterday i have a few videos :P

http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh157/Bazzoka_Joe/Turnigy%20desert%20buggy/?action=view&current=04122011015.mp4

http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/hh157/Bazzoka_Joe/Turnigy%20desert%20buggy/?action=view&current=04122011014.mp4

sorry their short :P it was during a brief brake in the racing at HHRC

drives nicely, fairly fast and seems quite strong (quantra crashed it into a curb :whistling: )

but i cant stress enough... CHECK YOUR SLIPPER SETTINGS... as you should on any car

dumb ass here didnt... and now i have a gearbox click... not checked it out yet... but its more than likely the spur... so i have a chance now to see if the kyosho one will fit!

i have 2 more videos to upload later on, and the full strip and picture's will be uploaded next weekend