• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

What are your thoughts?

LukeAFC

Hi all,

What are your thoughts on this article?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=397

It basically goes against everything else I've read regarding break in, i.e. It's basically saying that your engine is run in after 5 tanks. How can peoples opinions of a break in procedure differ so much?

Sorry that was the wrong article and I now can't find the one I'm referring to. But basically it was saying that on tank one let the engine idle, tank two drive figure of 8's at 1/4 throttle, tank 3 drive about ocassionally going to half throttle, tank 4 drive half throttle ocassionaly going to full throttle, tank 5 drive more often at full throttle and then engine is run in....

i sit it on somethong so the wheels aren't touching the ground for 2 tanks at idle with the glow starter in. then up to 1/4 on the ground for a tank then. up to 1/2 for a tank. then the full beans on the following tanks. however i never give it full throttle all at once till its 10 tanks old and slowly build up speed also only give it the full throttle after a couple of slower runs up an d down a longer strech ( about 250m)

There are loads of methods and that was the one I used. Just been to the UK Endurance masters today and they didn't idle at all, just stuck it straight on a track and gradually leaned it off. As long as an engine isn't leaned off and run at full throttle straight out of the box and you at least try and gradually increase the running temperature over a few tanks it doesn't matter which method you use.

• Like 1

It's just that my local model shop said that I need to run about 5 litres of fuel through a new engine before it is fully run in, seems an awful lot!

Anyway, it's had 5 tanks through it now so new time out I'm going to start tuning! :-)

tbh, i'm of the school that an engine isnt properly run in until about a gallon of fuel. however there is a difference between 'run in' and 'run in enough to run it properly'. depending on the engine it would be perfectly reasonable for it to be able to run normally after 5 tanks.

Its run in when the mechanical pinch has gone...that doesn't mean to say that you can't tune it but I'd usually say an engine isn't done till about 1/2 to 1 gallon. Until this point it can behave irratically and performance is hindered. But I do about 10 tanks at temps around 200F then tune....but I don't expect the engine to perform well until the 1 gallon mark

I have a right wing view to all this "running in".

Lets think what the actual run in procedure is doing? it's making a good seal/match for the piston and liner and putting the mechanical components through a heat cycle or 3.

IMO all this talk of an engine not hitting its "sweet spot" after a gallon of fuel is totally daft. imagine how many times that piston has been up and down at that point in its life and all the heat cycles, how can it possibly not be ready for full performance even after 3 tanks of fuel and three full cool downs?

At half rpm, lets say 17,000 Rpm and a tank say lasting 6 mins rich thats the engine rotated 102,000 times so 4 tanks 408,000 revolutions. Realistically is going to be about 300,000 revolutions in total when running in. I think the engine is more than run in at that point?

I would put money on the fact that any nitro engine after 4 tanks of running rich is ready for full tuning up, abuse and full throttle. All the model shops and manufactures are doing are covering there backsides.

All my engines get 4 tanks rich and then they have it, Ive used this method on RB's GO's and piccos with no issues. I believe running temps and fine tuning is the key to long life, not the running in procedure. But that's just my opinion :) . If I recall Picco say 4 tanks of steady running anyway for there procedure.