• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI 1/8th Petrol Engine

Garry

Still though, a petrol car has a bigger engine and it gets through fuel quicker than a nitro.

tbh on a stock set up petrol uses fuel at a lower rate than nitro they might be bigger but they dont rev anywere near as high.

tbh on a stock set up petrol uses fuel at a lower rate than nitro they might be bigger but they dont rev anywere near as high.

Petrol gets through fuel quicker but is still a fair bit cheaper I suppose. I've worked out that a petrol (baja) gets through 175cc of fuel every 10 minutes, whereas a nitro .21 engine will get through about a max of 125cc of fuel every 10 minutes.

The Sillouhette is a Savage XL by the looks of it.

I think its more hinting at the sort of car we can expect, rather than a sillouhette of whats actually coming..

I have to say though, a 1/8 Petrol from HPI will certainly dominate that end of the market.

Edited by TerrorTrooper

petrol uses less fuel than nitro?

baja: 45 mins a tank, 750cc tank, means 1 litre per hour

nitro: 125cc lasting 10 mins means 750cc per hour

[i think, forgive my shpengled maths].

but even so, i reckon a 1/8 petrol is a very good idea, just that 4 stroke nitro has so much promise. such a pity that this hobby isnt exactly subject to emissions regulations. it was that that made most mx racing 4 stroke, but rc can get away with 2 stroke

Baja has a much bigger engine though. Shrink the Baja engine to 1/8th sized and the rate of fuel consumption will be similar - except that petrol is much cheaper than nitro.

Petrols revving lower is more a factor of scale than any other design limitation. Nitro engines are , in effect, 2 stroke engines. they operate the same way...just on nitro fuel. the nitromethane coctail we pour in can be run in a larger scale motor...but not for long. Drag racers in 'top fuel' use this sort of fuel...and you can run a full sized 2 stroke engine on methanol....

So...making a tiny 2 stroke petrol engine isn't technically hard. It also may ,though, be pricey. 1/5 scale cars use the motors they do because they existed already. Makers didn;t have to design and build their own engine....they just slotted in the thing. If HPI have a source of smaller engines, then this is a simple enough task really. If they had to design their own engine from scracth, then the thing will be a bit more expensive really. They could potentially base it on existing nitro components.. but you would need ones that were ringed and suitable...

Persoanlly..I think it's a very interesting idea. It offers a lot of possibilities...not just for HPI. If htey base it on existing tech, and reuse a lot of Savage parts, it shouldn't be much more than an existing Savvy....but I suspect it will be more than that. If it runs pricewise at Flux HP level, they will find them hard to shift.

I might have a hunt around and see what 2 stroke motrs exist...if it's too pricey...I might be tempted to try my own conversion!

• Like 1

A purpose built RC petrol engine is likely to look a lot like a nitro one. Its probably a modified nitro engine design in fact. Baja's etc use strimmer and lawnmower engines not originally meant for RC use so don't always have the features that work best for a car (like a prominent cooling head)

I would just like a 1/5th electric. I don't care who makes it, I would buy it. I want a 1/5 but no where near me lets me run Nitro or Petrol so I want an electric one and conversations cost too much :(

A RTR 1/5th Scale Electric would be

A RTR 1/5th Scale Electric would be £1500+ So it would be a bout the same price as converting one!!

Really???

http://www.modelspor...-products/40239

EDIT:

There is also this too

http://www.hobbydirect.co.uk/fs-rc-brushless-desert-truck---15-scale4wd-371-p.asp

And many more out there all way under the £1500 mark.

Edited by carlcurtis83

I would just like a 1/5th electric. I don't care who makes it, I would buy it. I want a 1/5 but no where near me lets me run Nitro or Petrol so I want an electric one and conversations cost too much :(

conversations are free dude :lol:

conversions cost as little or as much as you want :P

A RTR 1/5th Scale Electric would be £1500+ So it would be a bout the same price as converting one!!

Kershaw Designs do one that you could get, RTR on 8s with a Mamba XL/Leopard 5692, for less than £950.. Probably end up paying an extra £250 to get it into the country and no idea what it's like though, might be a complete donkey! Looks okay mind-

Grenadier-RightFrontViewHD.jpgGrenadier-ChassisHD.jpg

Grenadier-SideViewHD-1.jpg

Edited by grumpygramps