• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Where do you get your nuts, bolts and fixings from?

Paul_TDi

I've never liked paying model shop prices for simple nuts and bolts which are worth pennies to the producers.

I thought it may be a good idea to make a list of websites which sell a large range of bits and bobs at sensible prices.

http://www.modelfixings.co.uk/ I haven't used this site for a while (several years) but after going through my old tool box I found there part bags. Any ways they stock a huge range of fixings, maybe a little more expensive than these other suppliers but they do offer a larger range of model specifics.

http://www.thesitebox.com/ Cheaper than above but doesn't have an as good range.

http://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/ A new one to me that I first used last night, they had everything that I needed, unlike the other sites I checked out first. Really good prices, you can buy just 1 if you want for 20 odd pence or buy a hundred for a few quid, they have sliding pricing scale depending on quantity.

http://www.jespares.com/ Another popular one from me, fixings aren't as cheap as the above ones but like model fixings you can buy bearings and lots of other RC spares at the same time so saving on postage costs, if you only need a small amount of fixings it could work out.

Feel free to review the above places and add your own suppliers.

I've not bothered adding model shops that stock only HPI official ones or such like. I quick google or forum search of the part number in your instructions will give you the size of the fixing you need so you can then buy it from the above cheaper sources, my Thunder Tiger S50 booklet gives me all the sizes so I can easily order the correct fixings.

More suppliers recommended by fellow members below-

eBay seller BoltBoy user name atters153. As used by Mashy88, Damo666 and Nitroholic.

Orbital Fasteners goldblades7 neighbour.

Namrick grumpygramps local shop.

Edited by Paul_TDi
  • Like 1

Hi

If you look on ebay at sellers who don't specify models - they just sell nuts and bolts

I found atters153 very helpful very very cheap and next day delivery

just an example 20 m3x16 cap head black tensile bolts

thanks for this, very helpful!

whats the best types of screw? zinc pated, self colour, or stainless steel??

I tend to do for anodized black if they have them or stainless steel. I'm not too fussy though.

Glad everyone is liking this, maybe once there's a few more suggestions I'll edit my original post and add them to the list.

as Mashy said, Atters from eBay is cheap and the products he sells are of decent quality IMO.

Before I bought some recommended hex drivers (eds) I bought a set of cheap allen keys (hex keys) from Him and they undid hex screws that rounded the stock wrenches that came bundled with my Traxxas and HPI cars.

Whenever I repair something i'll replace the stock hex screws with ones from Him.

Highly recommended and very quick despatch.

For a while I thought simply RC were the small brand product with good value but the packs they do are often more expensive than the actual official HPI, Traxxas, TT part!

Sorted, the 3 suggested suppliers have been added to the list.

Just as a side note the main reason I used Westfield is they were the only place I could find that did counter sunk washers I need to complete a mod. I've checked the new suppliers and can't find them on there either.

Edited by Paul_TDi

For a while I thought simply RC were the small brand product with good value but the packs they do are often more expensive than the actual official HPI, Traxxas, TT part!

Yep, the price is silly... I've put together a whole high tensile steel kit for my savage from Namrick, must've been about