• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Rota start spinning

mattadon

Hey guys only recently started playing with nitro. Brought a GST 7.7 ( i know not the greatest choice in the world, but got it at a good price ). Still in the process of breaking in but today for some reason the rota start just freely spins. After looking on the internet i get the opinion it might be the 1 way bearing is this a possibility? and also where can i buy a new 1and does it need to be a cen 1 or can i get a universal 1? Any info muchly appreciated.

Thanks Matt.

Rota starts are very common for it , let it cool down , unless it's split ( possibily) it should go back to catching

Otherwise , alternatives are , pull start , starter box of fly wheels below chassis .

Thanks for the quick reply pearce i will try again tomorrow. Any idea where i can get a new owb if it is faulty? and does it need to be a cen one? once again thanks for assistance.

Matt

The outer bearing is different on many models, you will probably need the correct on for the engine.

If you are breaking the engine in, there is a far chance the OWB has been overloaded and failed, did you slacken of the glowplug a 1/4 a turn when starting to allow the engine to turn over easier?

If the bearing is just slipping it can be cleaned out with spirit or brake cleaner to remove any excess oil that may be on it.

my savage 3.5 is very bad for the roto start slipping eg not gripping. seems to be a lot of oil etc getting through the back plate onto the one way bearing and shaft, if i take it apart and clean the oily stuff off it it works like a charm for a few minutes lol

ive basically resorted too using a fuel filter that also has a little squeezy thing to prime it with and my roto start catches for the first second of pressing the button then stops, i so i keep priming it with the wee squeezy pump bit and press the roto start in 1 second bursts it always ends up starting but its a pain.

Those Savage back plates are terrible for leaking when they get a bit worn, I tried cutting O rings into the starter shaft and all sorts or bodges to stop it, some helped some didn't. Ended up drilling a small hole in the center of the rota start to be able to squirt WD40 at the bearing, which helped clean it up enough to work most of the time.

dad ended up with a spare trophy truggy 4.6 engine so i just put that in the savage and no more problems lol cept its a pig too handle at the speed the savage does now, i hope that back plate lasts longer :)

Edited by Yrkoon

you may have to just bite the bullit and get a new backplate for it to stop it slipping :(

Yrkoon dont crow so quick lad as when that engines had the fuel the savvy has had through it its gonna be just the same ( i believe its same backplate for 3.5 and 4.6 ) rofl.gif

you may have to just bite the bullit and get a new backplate for it to stop it slipping :(

Yrkoon dont crow so quick lad as when that engines had the fuel the savvy has had through it its gonna be just the same ( i believe its same backplate for 3.5 and 4.6 ) rofl.gif

lol dad has spoken id better save up for a new 4.6 backplate, just happy i can prime and start the savvy now with no messing about :)

Edited by Yrkoon