• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

First Plane Help

I would not recommend that plane in your link....

You've got landing gear,,,which you will break off..:whistling:

Low wing's ,do not make is stable for a newbie flyer...

What I would recommend is one of these..

New 4Ch RTF RC EP Aerobatic TW742 SkyHawk Glider Plane on eBay (end time 01-Apr-11 16:11:55 BST)

This is what I started with last november...

Spare's are cheap...

Can be up-grade to brushless motor , so it'll fly faster...

See my other Vid's on the up-grades you could do....

Sean

I would not recommend that plane in your link....

You've got landing gear,,,which you will break off..:whistling:

Low wing's ,do not make is stable for a newbie flyer...

What I would recommend is one of these..

New 4Ch RTF RC EP Aerobatic TW742 SkyHawk Glider Plane on eBay (end time 01-Apr-11 16:11:55 BST)

This is what I started with last november...

Spare's are cheap...

Can be up-grade to brushless motor , so it'll fly faster...

See my other Vid's on the up-grades you could do....

Sean

cheers for the reply,

what do you mean by low wings? i had a look on that ebay add and they have their own website, so went to that and found this i take it that because the wings are low thats what you are talking about? and how does it make them harder to fly?

i like the idea of a glider as they look like they would be quite easy to handle, is that the case?

cheers and sorry for silly questions lol

There's no such thing as a silly question..:D

That link,wound'nt recommend that either,I'm not saying that you couldn't fly it ... higher the wing the more stable thay are to fly..

Look at the Trainer's, the like's of the J3 or the Cessna both very good training plane's and recommended by any club training a new pilot...

I personaly like the gliders as I've 3, the cheapo skyhawk (1 metre wing)..

Parkzone Radian and a phoenix 2000 ( both 2 metre wing spans)

Now the Skyhawk you fly with power on all the time except when coming in for landing...Mite be OK for slope soaring,but haven't try it yet.

it's not a propper glider..just something cheap to get you flying... very aerobatic and fun to fly...

The Radian and Phoeinx I only use the motor to get way up hight , shut motor off and glide or slope soar if on a hill..:good:

Ooo, i do quite like the look of this J3, plus its cheap so i wont be too worried about crashing lol ... which will no doubt happen on the first go :whistling:

i do like the look of the gliders, but i prefer the scale look, if that makes sence? lol

"higher the wing the more stable thay are to fly.." ah ok, so me looking at the red arrow on their site probably isnt a good idea for a starter lol

iv been watching loads of videos online on some of the planes and some of them are just stupid fast! think it will be a long time before i could fly one of them without worry

cheers for the help

Ooo, i do quite like the look of this J3, plus its cheap so i wont be too worried about crashing lol ... which will no doubt happen on the first go :whistling:

i do like the look of the gliders, but i prefer the scale look, if that makes sence? lol

"higher the wing the more stable thay are to fly.." ah ok, so me looking at the red arrow on their site probably isnt a good idea for a starter lol

iv been watching loads of videos online on some of the planes and some of them are just stupid fast! think it will be a long time before i could fly one of them without worry

cheers for the help

you'll get there...

I've a Slipso that need's to be built , with the right motor and prop that will fly at around 125mph :D

you'll get there...

I've a Slipso that need's to be built , with the right motor and prop that will fly at around 125mph :D

:o i dont think that i would trust mysefl with something that quick lol! would be good to see it going tho

cheers for the help again mate :good:

With a high-wing monoplane, all teh weight sits under the wing, which makes it a lot more stable and more 'self centreing'. With a low-wing plane, the weight is above the wing, so it's less stable. That makes them much more manouverable, but harder to keep steady. For a trainer, you want stable and forgiving.

• Like 1

With a high-wing monoplane, all teh weight sits under the wing, which makes it a lot more stable and more 'self centreing'. With a low-wing plane, the weight is above the wing, so it's less stable. That makes them much more manouverable, but harder to keep steady. For a trainer, you want stable and forgiving.

+1 as it is going to have a few crashes :P lol

really looking forward to getting it now lol, have to wait until may.... i dont think im going to be able to wait lol

i cant stop looking at um now lol. i found thislittle guy, it drew me in because i dont really have alot of room to store my kit, the RC cars take up most of the room lol. but would this be a good starter? it looks quite durable and have just watched a review on it and it seems quite cool, the thing i like is the magnetic wings as i could take um off at the end of each run and store it without a problem

i cant stop looking at um now lol. i found thislittle guy, it drew me in because i dont really have alot of room to store my kit, the RC cars take up most of the room lol. but would this be a good starter? it looks quite durable and have just watched a review on it and it seems quite cool, the thing i like is the magnetic wings as i could take um off at the end of each run and store it without a problem

Read the add again...:confused::(

ARF . . . It's all most ready to fly.....

Required Items

Motor: Park 250 Outrunner 2200Kv (EFLM1130) Speed Controller: 10Amp Brushless (EFLA1010) Battery: 2 cell 7.4Volt 430mah Li-Po (EFLB4302SJ) Radio : Spektrum DX5e/DX6i/DX7 Receiver: AR6110E/AR50 Servos: S60 Sub Micro x 4 (EFLRDS60) Prop: 6 x 5.5 (HFL7608)

• 3 weeks later...

i would defo say the hobbyzone champ without a doubt one of the best starter planes u can get and the control surfaces can be made to have more travel to make it more responsive as you get better u can get them rtf for way less than

by plug and fly do you mean the ones that charge from the handset?

it arrived today :D not gana get to see it till tonight tho so will get some pics up later, and should be out for its first crash fly tomorrow ... il let you know how it goes :good:

Yeah..Let us know how you get on...

well he is a quick pic, after much swearing at the manual for being in chinglish i finally got it together! nice bit of kit and feels quite strong. bit let down by the 2.4 gear, it feels cheap but then again its what you get for a plane under £80 lol will let you know how i get on with the flying tomorrow

DSC_0636.jpg

Here's a few Tips for you..

Put some heat shrink around the clevises,

stop's them popping open , which they mite..

Go to McDonals get some of them sticks that stir the coffee,

stick them to the L.E and T.E,

to stop the rubber bands cutting into the foam wing if they move.

when you crash land :whistling:

B+Q sell fiber tape.. cover the upper side of the wing with it,

make's it a lot more stronger..

The Prop is a 7x4 you can buy them on E-Bay..

or give me a PM as I have a few that I don't use...

Good luck tomorrow on your maiden flight...:good:

Edited by seanmcgrath48

well fist bash today with the plane..... first time i have been out with an rc and not had fun....

the plane is really really nose heavy, even with full throttle and full up rudder (prob not the correct term, but going up lol) it just wanted to nose dive which made it impossible to fly at all! i have now moved the battery further back and it seems better spread now. it seems to be made of cheese as it just fell apart at the first crash, was pretty much straight from hand release to the floor, i broke a prop off, the band wrecked the wing (only just read the above post as to what i should have done to stop that) the black bit at the front fell off and snapped clean in half (not sure how?)

really gutted as i had a quick go on my mates cub and i managed to get it in the air and fly for a short while without too much issue! is there a special technique to flying gliders?

also can you play flight sim with any 2.4 radio gear? i know you can use a wired xbox controller but just wondered if you could with a 2.4 radio? would be good to get some practice with something that wont mind being flown into the ground lol

few pics of the damage...

DSC_0636-1.jpg

DSC_0637.jpg

also the screw has come through this piece of red cheese plastic, should.can this be upgraded to maybe and alloy one?

DSC_0640.jpg

cheers

Edited by niallrbroome

CG is 70mm from Leeding Edge...

Wing can be repaired..

You'll need a new spinner and 7x4 Prop...HobbyKing Online R/C Hobby Store : LiPo, LiFe, NiMH Battery>30C Discharge

Put a rubber band around the canopy,stop's it coming off

Even better read this... as the Soaring Eagle and the SkyHawk are more or less the same glider..

TW-742 Sky Hawk Aerobatic Glider

How many channels does your Tx/Rx have

Edited by seanmcgrath48

phoenix flight sim you can use your own tx you just need the adapter for it ( you can get phoenix that comes with a fully functional dx5 or without a controller )

http://www.phoenix-simv3.com/news.asp