• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1/5 savage build

teapot

loads of idea's and options guys, thanks. like i said i'm gonna concerntrate more on getting the chassis and electrics set up properly- once its complete bar an engine i'll be more tempted to splash out on a new one i think. at the moment i'm thinking an sts .28 as that what was in my last track but going by the size of this thing i'm thinking a .30...

I didn`t say there were the best engine but for new price they are good value for money very strong engines. The only problem with buying a second hand engine is exactly that its second hand regardless if its a RB or OS engine 2 tanks in it could self destruct no matter how well its been looked after, but a new engine will come with a manufactures grantee

you could also look at the nosram 30 monster engine or an sts 30 both very powerful with loads of grunt :good:

the shell is sitting as low as it will go on savage body mounts but with some custom post`s it can sit lower but i like the way it looks it looks like a proper monster truck.

keep going chris no doubt it will fantastic once you finished i had great fun building ir to start with :good:

yeah i know what you mean regarding used parts which is why i'm not in an immediate rush to get the engine, do new nitro engines have guarantee's etc? i'll mainly be using the truck for bashing and hill climbs so i'd consider low down power before top end, the sts .28 seems a good all round engine and was easy to set up right.

yeah i agree the body needs to be lower but like kev said with those posts it wont go any lower, plan is to replace the shell if i can find something big enough i like, if not i'll fab some kind of roll cage i think. where can i find 1/5 scale bodies? cant seem to find much at all.?

i'm not stopping yet kev, baby steps though!:good:

Edited by teapot

what work would have to be done to run a twin motor? in all honesty thats out of my leauge- at least for the moment plus i want to try and keep it simple but i am thinking of either a larger or twin tanks...

would i run front baja shocks on the front and rear ends of the savage? and would they go straight on or would the losi shock mount adapters work?

the savage suspension conversions are rare these days arent they? and would i still be able to run the big shocks with that kit? i'm planning to lower and widen it to hopefully make the handling better, what extended arms kits are about? not sure on the axle extenders- look like they could be a weak spot. really tempted to FastLaneMachine this bad boy but 1. cost and 2. i want to keep as much plastic as realistically possible to give the thing some flex, maybe i wont snap so much and wont be so expensive to replace!

no idea about the diffs not taken anything apart yet but i assume its all just standard hpi parts.

fat baja rims? i'm looking into wheels and hex upgrades but i cant really find anything 'out of the ordinary' but i am toying with some billets?

so many options...lol

good.gif

Ok ill leave the idea of the twin engines to the side for now.... when you are ready, ill go into it and find all the links... there are kits out there... ME PERSONALLY if you are not an experienced engine tuner... i would stay away from twin motor as it can be very annoying to tune...

Baja shocks- yes you would run the front shorter baje shocks on the front and rear of the savage... (alloy big bores are good enough, but will look puny on such a big savage

Extended arms- FLM do them... but only an increase of 0.5" per side... NOT WORTH THE MONEY and we all want to keep flex in the setup... I have been toying with other ideas such as LST Hubs and CEN Genesis hubs... but have been running into issues... but hopefully will have it sorted out... here are some pics for you to see how close yet so far we are

LST Hubs on savage lower a arms... CVDs just too long causing the hub not to be sitting at the right height... this is due to the LST having wider bulks by a 0.5"

DSCF4758.jpg

DSCF4760.jpg

DSCF4759.jpg

Anyway... ill let you know when i figure something out...

the main reasons for me working this out is because

i want to use CVDs on the front...

I want a better hex

I want larger hub bearings to deal with the XXL size, weight and larger wheels as the 8x16x5mm savage hub bearings fail too quickly and are not designed for such large wheels...

also i want to be differentwink.gif

If you are lucky to find the suspension conversion kit.. it is awesome and it great for steering... but with these hub conversions they are not necessary obviously.

Baja rims are kl... especially for nitro applications... the 24mm hex kit is the most solid around for the savage IMO....

gd luck with your ideas... and get ready to lighten that wallet haha

Edited by Josh1A1H

Ok ill leave the idea of the twin engines to the side for now.... when you are ready, ill go into it and find all the links... there are kits out there... ME PERSONALLY if you are not an experienced engine tuner... i would stay away from twin motor as it can be very annoying to tune...

Baja shocks- yes you would run the front shorter baje shocks on the front and rear of the savage... (alloy big bores are good enough, but will look puny on such a big savage

Extended arms- FLM do them... but only an increase of 0.5" per side... NOT WORTH THE MONEY and we all want to keep flex in the setup... I have been toying with other ideas such as LST Hubs and CEN Genesis hubs... but have been running into issues... but hopefully will have it sorted out... here are some pics for you to see how close yet so far we are

LST Hubs on savage lower a arms... CVDs just too long causing the hub not to be sitting at the right height... this is due to the LST having wider bulks by a 0.5"

Anyway... ill let you know when i figure something out...

the main reasons for me working this out is because

i want to use CVDs on the front...

I want a better hex

I want larger hub bearings to deal with the XXL size, weight and larger wheels as the 8x16x5mm savage hub bearings fail too quickly and are not designed for such large wheels...

also i want to be differentwink.gif

If you are lucky to find the suspension conversion kit.. it is awesome and it great for steering... but with these hub conversions they are not necessary obviously.

Baja rims are kl... especially for nitro applications... the 24mm hex kit is the most solid around for the savage IMO....

gd luck with your ideas... and get ready to lighten that wallet haha

yeah like i said the twin motor set ups are a bit over my head, want a truck i won't have to mess about with too much hence the idea of sticking with one i already know. will the baja shocks fit straight onto the savage arms and towers or will they need fabbing/modding like the losi one's need?

the FastLaneMachine arms are a fair bit for not much difference but man they look sweet, might still bin the idea of them and buy the billet bulk heads instead.? but what other bolt on extended arm kits are about as thats the only one i can find? any plastic alternatives?

regarding the suspension upgrade kit, does it alter the width of the truck at all, as with my ideas for chassis mods i cant really see what advantage that would give me? plus then there's shock issues or will the baja/lst one's still fit? been looking at the integy tie rod deletes that were mentioned earlier.

your hub conversions looks like a good idea, is it possible to cut the shaft down and reweld it or will that just cause a weak spot? i'm sure i read on savage central a while ago some one made their own from scratch, i'll try to look it up unless you've already seen it? won't the savage one's fit? (sorry if they're newbie questions i havent the first clue about losi's or cen's)

think i'll leave any custom mods like that for now too though!

the baja wheels could be an idea as i'm not too keen on the mega wide savage wheels- look a bit out of proportion and going by my last FLM savage made turning much worse? would the baja hex's fit my savage or is there a specific kit? will have to do some more looking i think. i'm bidding on a 17mm kit at the mo if i can get it cheap enough, wheel bearings were my next concern...

i can hear the wallet screaming already!lol

thanks

Edited by teapot

I use them... i love them... my truck never rolls...

You can see how agile my savage is on SPIs

Full replacement upon damaging them! And i have yet to do that.

I do replace wheel bearings ever 5-10 runs... due to the crazy offset, a lot of pressure is placed on the bearings...

I use them... i love them... my truck never rolls...

You can see how agile my savage is on SPIs

Full replacement upon damaging them! And i have yet to do that.

I do replace wheel bearings ever 5-10 runs... due to the crazy offset, a lot of pressure is placed on the bearings...

are they the same size as 40 series or standard savage wheels?

cheers

yeah like i said the twin motor set ups are a bit over my head, want a truck i won't have to mess about with too much hence the idea of sticking with one i already know. will the baja shocks fit straight onto the savage arms and towers or will they need fabbing/modding like the losi one's need?

the FastLaneMachine arms are a fair bit for not much difference but man they look sweet, might still bin the idea of them and buy the billet bulk heads instead.? but what other bolt on extended arm kits are about as thats the only one i can find? any plastic alternatives?

regarding the suspension upgrade kit, does it alter the width of the truck at all, as with my ideas for chassis mods i cant really see what advantage that would give me? plus then there's shock issues or will the baja/lst one's still fit? been looking at the integy tie rod deletes that were mentioned earlier.

your hub conversions looks like a good idea, is it possible to cut the shaft down and reweld it or will that just cause a weak spot? i'm sure i read on savage central a while ago some one made their own from scratch, i'll try to look it up unless you've already seen it? won't the savage one's fit? (sorry if they're newbie questions i havent the first clue about losi's or cen's)

think i'll leave any custom mods like that for now too though!

the baja wheels could be an idea as i'm not too keen on the mega wide savage wheels- look a bit out of proportion and going by my last FLM savage made turning much worse? would the baja hex's fit my savage or is there a specific kit? will have to do some more looking i think. i'm bidding on a 17mm kit at the mo if i can get it cheap enough, wheel bearings were my next concern...

i can hear the wallet screaming already!lol

thanks

Baja shocks... some modding is required.. but you can figure that out for yourself... people have put them on without much modification...

Baja Shock mod http://www.rccoh.com/rc.how-to/savage.5b.shockmod.html

If you get alloy bulks.. go for Golden Horizons. They maintain similar characteristics as the savage X bulk.

Kershaw designs do 2" extended nylon arms that come with extended CVDs... Great Kit for large trucks... BUT replacement parts are EXPENSIVE let along the kit sells for $200!!! Plus i dont trust dan at kershaw too much! STAY AWAY! people who have dealt with him and only had probs...

Quote from site

Can be used on any stock Savage Flux chassis or with full conversion. Widenseach side by 50mm...That's almost 4" overall width! Made of your choice of blue or black nylon. Includes X-long dogbones, x-long linkages, input and output cups.Must drill out hubs with 5/16" bit for our heavy duty axles!

Savage1-6thConversion-ArmsHD.JPG

dont make custom shafts unless they are centre shafts..

you will break and bend drive shafts in tumbles... and will want to replace them with off the shelf parts.. not parts you have to custom make everytime or buy from places that may cancel their stock anytime such as kershaw.

What 17mm hex kit are you bidding on? because there isnt a 17mm hex kit that really works with the flux apart from stock and some integy stuff.....

are they the same size as 40 series or standard savage wheels?

cheers

Standard Maxx size wheels...

SPI are mainly perforance wheels... and rick at SPI says 40series is not right for alloy... leave proline and axial etc...to deal with 40 series...

You can ask him to make you a custom 40series alloy wheels but you are looking at $400-500+ Not worth it basically

yeah thats all big money, i'm really not sure on what mods i'll do just yet i'm tempted to just get the new easy access cases and sort out the wheels and shocks then leave it like that. are the extended axles any good? i'll take a look at the bulk heads, thanks.

its definitely gonna be a long term project.

this is the hex kit i've bought

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=220732314089

IRC have made an after market baja shock with 8mm shaft, a lot of money but do look nice, that kershaw arm kit is over my budet- if i go that far i'll build another FLM savage and go all the way, a bit over the top me thinks...

what other alloy/billet wheels are available? i'm sure the one's i had on my last savage were nova's but i can't find them any where, they were standard savage size and with the set up i had the worked well. i think standard size wheels would be too small for this size truck?

thanks

Edited by teapot

Yep those arms are really unnecssary unless you have money to throw away

The XL axles are ok... i dont really like them as i manage to break them all the time. Hence why i have SPI full offset alloy rims to give me the width i need... as you can see in the pic below... IT IS WIDE NOW good.gif

DSC00185.jpg

IRC do have those sexy baja shocks! EXPENSIVE yes! HEAVY yes! WORTH IT no.... but if you have the cash! You will have one phat savage! I only like to add alloy weight if i believe it will improve performance... such as Alloy bulks keep my diffs in check.. but my Alloy BB shocks will do the same job as those IRC Shocks!

There are no other Alloy wheels on the market that are proven to handle the abuse SPIs go through... PLUS LIFE TIME WARRENTY! HOW CAN YOU BEAT THAT!!!!

sorry so what shocks are you running? i'm sure you've said?

would all spi's wheels stand up to hard bashing or just the 3 specific one's? and will they be big enough for my truck?(not the 40 series)

cheers

im using the alloy big bore shocks... just the alloy versions of the stock flux shocks.

The 3 specific basher wheels will hold the warrenty... the others are racing rims and i doubt they can handle the really big jumps i like to do...

But honestly... i dont think the SPIs will look big enough on your truck... And on such a large truck i would run 24mm hexs...

So i think you should go with the baja rear wheels all round with the 24mm hex conversion from HPI.... solid conversion for your needs, and will look suitable for your truck

im using the alloy big bore shocks... just the alloy versions of the stock flux shocks.

The 3 specific basher wheels will hold the warrenty... the others are racing rims and i doubt they can handle the really big jumps i like to do...

But honestly... i dont think the SPIs will look big enough on your truck... And on such a large truck i would run 24mm hexs...

So i think you should go with the baja rear wheels all round with the 24mm hex conversion from HPI.... solid conversion for your needs, and will look suitable for your truck

no thats the problem with those wheels, more a nice thing to have than need. i'll keep looking at wheel options. think i'm realising this size truck is another step up.?

• 3 years later...