• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Savage Flux owner club

bulletflux 345

The motor on our almost new Flux has slipped forward in the mount, so that it's stopped engaging with the spur gear on the transmission.

Obviously I can put it back and tighten it up again, but is there a way to stop this happening again ? It seems that there is just friction grip between motor and mount and I'm wary of overtightening it

As as aside, wow, it is fast - on 4s it's way faster than our nitro Savage :thumbsup:  (which I think will be up for sale soon as I cant see us switching back)

I had same problem so I used sum tape and its been swwet now...20150308_192929_zps5ivkaipv.jpg

20150308_195045_zpsbzyobxqx.jpg

Edited by evssv

Arse! When I Test ran mine with the 1717 it was reasonable on 15/52, but I don't think I'd go any higher. Was he using the gearbox or direct on to a CD?

I have just had a little test in the front garden but it was on/off throttle constantly and got a little warm so started to cog a little :( what timing and punch do the 1717's like?

And he was using a centre diff....so it was stupidly overgeared

The motor on our almost new Flux has slipped forward in the mount, so that it's stopped engaging with the spur gear on the transmission.

Obviously I can put it back and tighten it up again, but is there a way to stop this happening again ? It seems that there is just friction grip between motor and mount and I'm wary of overtightening it

As as aside, wow, it is fast - on 4s it's way faster than our nitro Savage :thumbsup: (which I think will be up for sale soon as I cant see us switching back)

You can fit a cable tie around the motor between the motor wires and the rear clamp and again between the front clamp and the motor heatsink, this will stop it from being able to slide forward

I have just had a little test in the front garden but it was on/off throttle constantly and got a little warm so started to cog a little :( what timing and punch do the 1717's like?

And he was using a centre diff....so it was stupidly overgeared

Depends what you mean by "warm", also how fast the temperature climbed?

Depends what you mean by "warm", also how fast the temperature climbed?

It was within 5 mins and it was hotter than I would deem acceptable :lol: but I was literally going 5 meters then stopping time and time again, plus the batteries weren't charged and I was in slightly long grass

I had same problem so I used sum tape and its been swwet now

You can fit a cable tie around the motor between the motor wires and the rear clamp and again between the front clamp and the motor heatsink, this will stop it from being able to slide forward

Thanks  :thumbsup:  I've repositioned it now but will try those if it happens again

It was within 5 mins and it was hotter than I would deem acceptable :lol: but I was literally going 5 meters then stopping time and time again, plus the batteries weren't charged and I was in slightly long grass

14/50 should be ok, but proper testing with a temp gun is necessary to be able to confirm.

It's also worth looking at the data logging from the XL2 to see what the current draw was like.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent hauler bag (with wheels / handle ) which is a bit cheaper than the HPI one ? 

Most of the suitcases/holdalls I've found are either not big enough or are way too long - it seems that to get a wide holdall you also have to get a very long one

14/50 should be ok, but proper testing with a temp gun is necessary to be able to confirm.

It's also worth looking at the data logging from the XL2 to see what the current draw was like.

I think I may have to go down a tooth or two on the pinion, I have the big heavy baja wheels to take into consideration, 410g each wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone have a recommendation for a decent hauler bag (with wheels / handle ) which is a bit cheaper than the HPI one ?

Most of the suitcases/holdalls I've found are either not big enough or are way too long - it seems that to get a wide holdall you also have to get a very long one

Sorry I can't help you there, I carry it all the hard way :lol:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, another day, another (two) problems

- the esc has also shifted forwards despite being on a sticky pad and having a tie-wrap round it. The obvious solution is another tiewrap going the other way, possibly wrapped in fuel tube to prevent it chafing the motor wires. Or is there a better way ?

- one of the supposedly bulletproof diffs has shed the teeth on its pinion gear. Is this common ? 

- the esc has also shifted forwards despite being on a sticky pad and having a tie-wrap round it. The obvious solution is another tiewrap going the other way, possibly wrapped in fuel tube to prevent it chafing the motor wires. Or is there a better way ?

- one of the supposedly bulletproof diffs has shed the teeth on its pinion gear. Is this common ? 

Edited by evssv

Edited by DannyP

Thanks - I'll look at both of those.

is the shimming method the same as always (I have a nitro XSS with the older sintered diffs) or is there a different technique for the bulletproof diffs ?

edit : actually, if someone could give me a link to some diff shimming instructions that woud be handy as I cant find my copy and it's been a while since I did this

Edited by cat7

It turned out that the screws that hold the rear crownwheel to the diff body had no threadlock on them (from the factory), so they'd come undone enough to create a lot of play between crownwheel and pinion, resulting in a broken tooth on the pinion.

In a way I'm relieved because it points to an assembly error rather than parts that are not up to the job, so I'm hoping this will be an isolated occurrence

The broken bits are going back to modelsport for a warranty claim.

So, as well as shimming your diffs, make sure the screws have threadlock too.... needless to say I've checked the front one as well and apart from needing a little shimming it was ok