• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Old Skool Tamiya Sandrover from 1981

TMaxxDave

Thats coz it will well old. Lol. I am gonna clean it up and replace the missing steering wheel. Steering links and fix the headlight. Im not sure weather to restore to orginal spec with msc or update to esc and 2.4ghz. And defo not sure what to use to power it. NiCd NiHm or Lipo. May not be Lipo as i dont own any of them. Lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Great freebie , nice to see its still in good nick other than odd bits need doing, if you go lipo break the old battery open on the seals an fit a soft case lipo inside ,look forwards to strip down & rebuild thread . Would be good to see it left alone an put in a sealed clear case with barn find engraved on a plaque hehe .

Yeh that the way once every year to the day you got it maybe ? . The front tub was a weak spot on shock tops poss why your mate put that brace on ,I'm sure you could make it a bit better from alloy like it grew there . Some upto date gear in there an & good to go. I see its had the 540 upgrade the 380 you will get mad run times with that even on a standard Nimh . The battery mod was a big thing back in the day upgrading cells in ww1s / scorchers etc an still is today with lipo it just keeps it looking period . I may even still have afew empty cases .

Edited by Trans4Mation

It came with the 540 motor as standard in the box. I thought the brace was standard fitment or a hop up.

Longer reply for me after the kids bedtime

Yeh from what I see on my phone pic it has the standard small canned 380 fitted that was standard in kit from the day , the 540 in box was an upgrade in the day good to have it all even both motor mounts . 380 had brass pinion from stock if my 40 year old memory not playing up hehe . Do you have the missing spot light ? I may have a pair on a grass hopper body stuffed in garage if you need them I'll have a look over weekend

I do have the missing light. I dont have the missing steering wheel :-(. Ive got more replies here than the Tamiya forum. I thought it would have been the other way round. Yeah the smaller 380 can is fitted. Not sure which pinion it has got. The best part for me is that..... this car is older than i am. About 4 years older.

From pic it's ally pinion he must have prised the old one off as they was not held on with grub screw think they was sweated on . They was a lot smaller too so putting the bigger alloy one on gave it a bit more va va voom lol, cool on the light the steering wheel be an easy source with the rere about the bruiser one could have been the same one too not 100% though . don't forget the stolen rear no plate decal . Or you could get a uk set made off the guy on eBay to your own taste . Look forwards to progress pics . Another thing if the rims have light chips on outer bead you can strip wheels an put them face down on wet & dry sandpaper & clean them up , or go all out on some polished outer cover hehe an Srb tyres . An hilux surf board propped up in back on cage so much you could do to it . Google search sand rover pics I'm sure there's loads to temp you hehe .

Mexico / big belray /stp decals are from an original sand scorcher decal sheets by the looks of it so poss he got them with a scorcher or he had them extras from shop. Jackman wheels decal was monster beetle poss others. Sorry srb same tyres on brat rears an sand scorchers an rr. Them tyres you have on the rear was only used on s rover & holiday buggys. To get some of the original sand rover decals you need a rere sheet but not all are same as original like rear no plate an few other but you get dash decal California one an few more but they look wrong with stickers on body imo screen decal an rear plate look more beach & road ready an just right.

Edited by Trans4Mation

Ahhh that explains about the decals then. I know one of the tyres has a tear in it on the side wall, think it's a front tyre. I'm really unsure about what to do with the electrics

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

Rear wheels fitted are original front are off a fav looking at tyre tread cross ply looking, front in box are off it rears are the tyres I'm talking about you want like off brats etc. on iPad now so can see pics bigger lol

True better than iphone , just swop fronts you be good to go, new tyres for rear your talking silly amounts ebay will show you that but good part worn do pop up now & then. With age they do crack split an get flat spots one of them things, it's all down to how you want to go with it wash an general check over or light resto but I'd leave it un washed lol think it looks good un touched time warp .

That's a lovely thing to get, please don't over restore it and make it look too shiney, there's re-re's for that. The originals should wear their years with pride :)

When we recommissioned a couple of our old ones, we managed to bring one set of old electrics back. They're pretty crude and can be cleaned up. Worth a try.

Also a word of caution on driving it, the plastics get old an brittle and rubber splits and cracks. Drive careful :)

Edited by Geeze