• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My Hyper SSE is almost ready to run! Few questions (with pics) before I get going!

MrBThatsMe

Hey all,  I'll jump right to it.

jjKkOD.jpg

Is this ok as far as connection goes?  The wires seemed too fat to fit properly inside the connector so this is as far as I could get the metal prongs to go without trying to force it with a screwdriver or something.

GP7r2V.jpg

Next - Do I need to adjust the position of the small cog to be perfectly in line with the bigger one? The position it's in above is where I assumed it should be but I can push it closer towards the motor if needs be but it feels like it's going to grind against the orange metal once moving.

goaBCV.jpg

Finally: I'm presuming I'm plugging the 3-colour cable from the esc into the receiver as opposed to the black/red one.  Which way in do they go as they aren't labelled as positive or negative.

Thanks for the help!  I know these are total newbie questions but best to ask i guess. :)

Edited by MrBThatsMe

Servo wire wise, white and orange wires are the signal wires, so they need to line up with the "S" on the rx

Pinion wise its positioning looks fine from the pic, Dead center is ideal, but no always possible.

edit: im pretty sure the "gold" parts of the tabs on that connector are meant to go all the way to the end:

hi-current_connector_m.jpg

Be careful not to stab yourself with a screwdriver getting the blades to locate properly 

I've never had any problems with the pinion not being perfectly centred to the spur before now, so wouldn't really worry.

The red and black plug coming from the ESC, if the ESC has a fan on top will be for that, so plug it in the receiver CH3.

Yeah the pinion looks fine, the servo plug goes in channel 1, the red white and black ESC goes in channel 2 and the red and black ESC cable goes into channel 3.

Not sure on those connectors as never used them but I generally stay away from connectors which are part of a plastic body as I have had issues with the plastics melting and causing connection issues.....5.5mm or 6mm bullets would be ideal for this and are super easy to solder even for a newbie like myself. :thumbsup:

That TRX connector is going to need rethinking. With the connectors pushed back like that they will push even further back when you try and connect them to the battery. If you've got nice chunky wire coming in then I'd swap to bullets as suggested above. Otherwise you could try thinning the wire down just a little and peeling the insulation back further so it doesn't interfere with the plastic TRX housing, and then re-insulate with heatshrink.

Thanks for the replies guys, I think that's everything sorted :D

As for the TRX connections... I never realized that the metal connectors are just really hard to push in all the way and it wasn't a case of my wires being too chunky after all.. just took a bit of firm prodding with a flat head screwdriver and a bit of praying that I didn't slip and stab my thumb ;)

My Mamba Monster ESC/motor comes with 6.5mm bullets so I may switch to them soon.  I'll see how things go,

Cheers!

I had the same issue when i did my first ever soldering the other day.....to much solder was on the pins in my case! And yes they will just push out when you connect them as there are tiny bumps on the pins which slot into place locking them in.