• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Some of my Friends

atom3624

Cheers mate.

Relatively speaking I feel great, full of beans, raring to go, then at work they all say 'damn, you sound rough'!!

I just tell them its lucky they didn't see me last week!!

The shock mount's over 8 mm thick (5/16").

Sorry for the shoulder, and if its ligament, not muscle, TAKE IT EASY!

I stuffed mine 30 years ago being silly on the weights!!

Al.

Edited by atom3624

This is now a former friend - sold to help 'a new project'.

Beautiful paint job - Mark of Outlaw of course!! - but I never used it. Just a giant paperweight!!

Sneak preview

Watch this space - nothing for a month I reckon as parts are coming through from all over.

Mark's going to work his magic on the shell as well ....
Al.

Edited by atom3624

Fitted the spacer to the side brace on the FG MT, refitted the wheels, FINALLY.

Closed the 'office' door, opened the window, and FIRED UP!!

Just NEEDED to see it running again!!

Just a few seconds, that all.

Fired on second pull, as usual.

Al.

Dropped the wife off at Goodison - works in the catering there!!

It's been raining for hours here in St Helens and all the dirt is soft and boggy - PERFECT for the FG MT to rip up dirt.

Last couple of hours its been sunny with odd cloud, so out comes the newly repaired FG MT.

Pullstart's seized.

I'm not risking it - out comes the plug - it's OK!

I turn the engine over with my fingers at the flywheel without problem - it's the pullstart that's tied itself in a knot somewhere.

It's been a bit 'funny' for a while to be honest.

Baby's still asleep, but with the wife away, I can't risk it - had to put Blue Thunder away for another day.

FRUSTRATING!!!

Fairly easy fix so no problem.

Al.

Checked the electronics, steering - had to trim to centre, brakes, then fired her up.

Pull start is perfect - I've possibly overtightened the pull spring a little so I'll need to keep an eye on it.

Fired second pull, and had a blast for 10 minutes just before midday, then another a bit later.

Great to see it blasting around again!!

Al. 

• Like 1

Missing the FG already - go to work its still dark .... return and its already dark .... I'll make up for it at the weekend!!

Space where the F360 was is now part-filled with my Juggernaut.

There's a little extra room ..... waiting for ..... the new project.

I'm building up parts, so it'll be another few weeks before any real pictures.

Received a set - front and rear - of alloy bumpers today to replace the standard plastic ones!

The difference is AMAZING - I was accused of preparing a truck to ram raid!!

Al.

Parts have been pouring in thick and relatively fast for the 'new project'.

I finally received a couple of Castle Creations MMP / 1410 5 mm combos.

I'm going to run these simultaneously, from a single 65/130C 5Ah 3S Turnigy Nano-Tech battery to maintain consistent power feed.

Some recommend against twin BL powering of vehicles, and particularly Castle, but I'll give it a go and see how it motors....

There's a Japanese video of a guy swapping the twin 540 brushed motors for 2 separate systems, and running each from a separate battery - this is WRONG!

Still it seemed to go well.

As the batteries came with 4 mm HXT connectors, I thought I'd give them a go and have soldered up the ESC battery connectors with 4 mm HXT fittings to suit.

I have a HXT parallel connector, which will connect to one battery, to split power into the 2 ESC's as relatively evenly as wires and connectors permit.

Should be fun!!!

If I get a few quiet hours. I'll try and assemble the shocks - they're the Tamiya 54472 piggy backs - some of the nicest looking model shocks I've ever come across!!

2 kits / truck are required - 8 shocks......

Al.

Problem is when you're looking after the baby, and making up things, photos aren't at the top of the agenda!

Made up all 8 shocks - very smooth!!

They recommend 200 cst for 'my' truck, but 400 for the Clodbuster, 500 for the TXT-1.

I've put Associated 30 weight in, which they say is ~350 cst, as it might be wheel related, and I'll be fitting large heavy alloys.

We'll see, but not for a few weeks.

Al.

Looking forward to the pics al :D

Might be a surprise, but its not going to be standard - there are a couple of modifications being made!!

Next time you see Mark, ask him to show you the paint scheme!!

Al.

I mentioned I have a new project.

It was prompted by my liking of MT's, discussion in a 'Replica' thread regarding realistic MT's, and the fact I had a really nice 1/5 that was sitting around, doing nothing - so I sold it!

Base Kit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130913285089?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Took about a week - straight in as already Tax Paid in the EU - sorted!!

Wheels are from RC4WD, tyres are TXT-1:

Shocks are now built - last image shows retainers I'm hoping will work - Green Slime was used for the shaft O-rings:
(Each shock has 8 O-rings - check the build videos and photos on-line - lovely shocks - very smooth)
I've filled with Associated 30 weight, which they state is 350 cst and they're REALLY smooth.

Power is via TWIN CC MMP / 1410 5 mm combos:

To try an even the power, I'm going to use one battery and parallel split into the ESC's

To take the power, I'm mounting the gearbox gears into this, and cooling the motors (a little) with the mount (they will have their cooling fans of course)

I found some alloy bumpers that would be more at home on a Chieftain Tank!!

They will brace the TVP plates in combination with the centre alloy gearbox housing and make it SOLID!

I've found a means of mounting the steering servo and rear lock-out onto the axles, thus NO lower bumper to maintain the realistic look. They can be mounted outside or inside the axle. The intention is to mount both inside the axles, to give a 'clean look'. They are both creating a challenge to avoid other links - I believe it is on .... JUST!!:

Some modifications were made as they're no longer necessary - I HOPE!!
I've measured and measured - and the bumpers have been modified to permit mounting of the carbon plates - I believe it'll work.

More carbon bits - still seeing if I can mount the battery lower to not raise the CofG too much:

Some stainless screws - bought 2 sets to have some spares:

More alloy bits:
Bit of a shame as they'll have to be chopped once I decide on the height. They don't appear to be adjustable like most well-designed 'hop up' alloy mounts.

Some RC Bearings rubber shielded bearings - metal shielded did come with the kit, but rubber is better for off-road:

Shell is now with Mark in Outlaw Graphics for painting:

I'm going on a trip for the company next week, for a couple of weeks.

On my return, the build can start .... I'm all excited!!

The inspiration was this: 

I'm intrigued how the steering and rear lock-out will work out ...

Al.

Edited by atom3624

Got all planned 'development parts' completed - front bumper cut, trimmed and (sort-of) polished down. ESC's wired up and all 8 shocks made and filled.

Still waiting on parts for BF18.

There is a BF19 - basically the same as 18 to look at bodywise except its bright Orange with different sponsors now - probably get an alternative shell done as 19.

I just like the look as 18; and it was the truck that performed that jump!!

Took E-Ram out for a quick blast - motor warms a little, ESC basically not, and pick-up from rest is smooth.

Took Maxx out as well - seemed slower than the E-Ram. Hadn't bothered charging the batteries, so all 4 (2 in Ram and 2 in Maxx) were in the mid 11's instead of nearly mid 12's as they would charged.

Took MERV out as well - that needs serious space!! Will need to look at how I can reduce the gearing. Probably get RW to see if they can make be a 60t spur, so I can use a smaller pinion...... no hurry for that.

Ed took the newly resplendent 30th Anniversary Stampede Digger + all Traxxas lights - side skull and headlamps. Again, returned without issue.

All shells cleaned up, and ready for my return.

Build of Bigfoot only starts after I return from my little trip for the company for a couple of weeks - certainly going to be anxious to complete the job and return!!

Al.

All of the Carbon bits arrived today - values clearly declared and straight here ....

RC4WD rod ends arrived - didn't realise the admittedly reasonable price was for a single rod end - thought it was a pair - need more to keep to 'Plan A'.

Will complete the other 4 shocks this evening - just the rod ends thread-locked on.

Al.

Also got a load of HK hardened steel 32DP 5 mm bore pinions.

16, 18, 20, 22 in pairs.

No idea what gearing will be ideal for BF, so I thought I'd get a few options.

The smaller diameter-wheeled (shorter geared) TXT-2 (150 mm diameter opposed to 160 for the TXT-1 tyres I'm going to use, uses 19t pinions with the twin 540 motors going, permitting a maximum speed of 20mph.

Considering I'll be on 3S, using twin 3800 kV 1410's giving ~42000 rpm x 1.06 wheel factor, I'm theoretically going to see is about 45 mph if I were to stick to 19t as is standard!!

Speed's about right I reckon. No good going for the E-Ram and Maxx speeds of >50 mph - they have far more accomplished chassis'!!

Al.