• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

1/5 savage build

teapot

right, kyoshokev's rolling chassis arrived today... i had got the tape measure out before i bought it to roughly gauge the wheel base, but i was surprised to see such a big box arrive! bloody thing's massive! i was wondering what i'd bought now and didn't even register it could be that ohmy.gif

so i here's my build thread, not had anything to do with RC for a while so its more to get as much help, info, tips and idea's for my little project than anything- i want to keep it simple ish. thinking of an STS .28/30 motor, LST2 shocks and some form of extended arms in the future. i'll also keep as much plastic as i can- save some money replacing parts in the long run!

so where do i start? any common parts or mods in particular i should do or change/upgrade before i start buying bigger parts or should i just carry on with my little shopping list on my head? what are people's opinions on chassis set up etc?

like i said any help would be much appreciated, once its done it'd be cool to meet a few of you!

MASSIVE THANKS to kev, would be great to deal with you again dude!

thanks good.gif

Edited by teapot

glad it arrived safe and sound mate when you take the next set of pics put some thing next to it to give the guys an idea of scale like a coke can or even better a beer can:lol: :good: this is a huge truck OH and dont forget to glue the tyres as they need doing again.

cheers kevin

glad it arrived safe and sound mate when you take the next set of pics put some thing next to it to give the guys an idea of scale like a coke can or even better a beer can:lol: :good: this is a huge truck OH and dont forget to glue the tyres as they need doing again.

cheers kevin

will do mate was late home from work tonight so kinda rushed to get a pic up! had a quick look tongiht but will get on it tomorrow evening! i'll get some better pics under good light...

is there any better way to upload pics straight onto the thread rather than onto say imageshack etc then posting a link?

get an account with photobucket , upload photos and then copy the IMG code and paste it on here , i was thinking you could put a .32 force engine in there

ok mate i'll set it up tomorrow too, whats the force engine like for set up and maintenance? ideally i want some thing big but easy to use. would like to be able to pic up a used one for the right money if possible...

thanks

i did hear they do drink or what i got in my savage is a force .28 and my savage flys , very easy to tune and run it on 25% big bang

i reckon this thing will drink like a pikey at the fair what ever motor i run going by the size of it, got some idea's on tank mods though as there's clearly plenty of space in there!

what sort of money am i looking at for a decent .32 with a suitable pipe and are they about second hand?

thanks

i reckon this thing will drink like a pikey at the fair what ever motor i run going by the size of it, got some idea's on tank mods though as there's clearly plenty of space in there!

what sort of money am i looking at for a decent .32 with a suitable pipe and are they about second hand?

thanks

you missed out on a 32 engine on here that savage bones was selling for half the price

ENGINES have a look at a few of these

you have plenty of space for a twin motor setup in there... maybe twin picco 28s? twin ERCM exhaust? all running through a custom centre diff?good.gifgood.gifgood.gif

Run Some front baja shocks on it for the massive look as LST Shocks are weak on a savage

get some integy tie rod deletes or try and get your hand on the savage suspension conversion as that thing will turn like a fat bus...

Pus some PHAT baje rims on there with the 24mm hex and upgrade the drive train to XL or flux unless that is already done

Has it got BP diffs already?

Some ideas i would love to do on such a big savage...

you missed out on a 32 engine on here that savage bones was selling for half the price

ENGINES have a look at a few of these

fair play, thats the sort of money i'm looking at spending on a new sts .28, how would the equivalent force .28 compare to the sts over all? do they come up used very often or is it another job foe ebay? for now i'll probably aim to set the chassis up right and then pick an engine.

force engines are great easy to tune and very very fast this should have the power to get your truck along the ground pretty rapid http://www.wheelspin...-Engine__13905/ :good:

cheers kev

you have plenty of space for a twin motor setup in there... maybe twin picco 28s? twin ERCM exhaust? all running through a custom centre diff?good.gifgood.gifgood.gif

Run Some front baja shocks on it for the massive look as LST Shocks are weak on a savage

get some integy tie rod deletes or try and get your hand on the savage suspension conversion as that thing will turn like a fat bus...

Pus some PHAT baje rims on there with the 24mm hex and upgrade the drive train to XL or flux unless that is already done

Has it got BP diffs already?

Some ideas i would love to do on such a big savage...

what work would have to be done to run a twin motor? in all honesty thats out of my leauge- at least for the moment plus i want to try and keep it simple but i am thinking of either a larger or twin tanks...

would i run front baja shocks on the front and rear ends of the savage? and would they go straight on or would the losi shock mount adapters work?

the savage suspension conversions are rare these days arent they? and would i still be able to run the big shocks with that kit? i'm planning to lower and widen it to hopefully make the handling better, what extended arms kits are about? not sure on the axle extenders- look like they could be a weak spot. really tempted to FastLaneMachine this bad boy but 1. cost and 2. i want to keep as much plastic as realistically possible to give the thing some flex, maybe i wont snap so much and wont be so expensive to replace!

no idea about the diffs not taken anything apart yet but i assume its all just standard hpi parts.

fat baja rims? i'm looking into wheels and hex upgrades but i cant really find anything 'out of the ordinary' but i am toying with some billets?

so many options...lol

Some inspiration for You

cheers for the info and links so far guys

good.gif

Edited by teapot

force engines are great easy to tune and very very fast this should have the power to get your truck along the ground pretty rapid http://www.wheelspin...-Engine__13905/ :good:

:lol: Force aren't all that great. There are a lot of equal if not better motors out there from OS, RB and the likes which could be picked up for cheap second hand.

the shells to high :whistling:

Agree with Aj.The truck looks great but that body needs lowering.I reckon some Proline Tech 5 wheels with Trencher tyres would look cool on that :good:

Edited by martin34

:lol: Force aren't all that great. There are a lot of equal if not better motors out there from OS, RB and the likes which could be picked up for cheap second hand.

I didn`t say there were the best engine but for new price they are good value for money very strong engines. The only problem with buying a second hand engine is exactly that its second hand regardless if its a RB or OS engine 2 tanks in it could self destruct no matter how well its been looked after, but a new engine will come with a manufactures grantee

you could also look at the nosram 30 monster engine or an sts 30 both very powerful with loads of grunt :good:

the shell is sitting as low as it will go on savage body mounts but with some custom post`s it can sit lower but i like the way it looks it looks like a proper monster truck.

keep going chris no doubt it will fantastic once you finished i had great fun building ir to start with :good:

Edited by KYOSHOKEV