• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Need a RC Truck for 8 year old

eazyrog

Hi Guys,

I've got the RC Bug, last week i bought myself a Nitro HPI 4.6 Trophy from modelsport and i love it, my boy alos loves it but just too hard for him just now, he's only 8.

I've deceided to go for electric for him for now and a but dont know what to get.

Here are my thoughts.

Sub

You cant go wrong with either of these:

http://www.modelspor...D=474&ShowCar=1

http://www.modelspor...D=593&ShowCar=1

or a bit more monster truck like

http://www.modelspor...D=629&ShowCar=1

I've had or have all 3, All brilliant :)

To make completely RTR see the combo deals at the bottom

The traxxas models come with battery packs, So you would just need a charger, But the HPI needs a battery.

You could go over budget and buy a decent charger that will charge bits for your nitro (your RX Pack and Glwo starter) and share it. I always suggest spending as much as you can on a charger

More batteries = more run time too :)

Edited by 19 Inch Guns

I agree with alot of what 19 inch guns said above but this is also an super tough little truck that for the money is fantastic - i love mine, bash the hell out of it laugh.gif

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=ShowSpecification&ItemID=28559

Also worth looking at the brushed e-revo dont think the titan motors hold up that well but the overall design is really solid - a mild brushless system would be a great add on once your son has mastered the controls a little.

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=ShowSpecification&ItemID=34003

I love me E-Revo, but the fact it requires 2 batteries really wears thin for someone new to this. I have a charger that can charge 2 and im looking at buying a second to cut time. It just ends up been too expensive, and an 8 year old is going to be over the moon with a Rustler, Pede or Firestorm :) No need for the big Guy yet ;)

Mini LST is cool for the garden i suppose :) Its VERY Small though (1/18th)

WOW,

Amazing, thought i' be the only one on the forums tonight.

Thanks Guys.

I've 100% decided it will be a Traxxes, seem like they know what they are doing.

Been looking around the SLASH looks very intresting, my boy also likes the looks of it, but they start at

I love me E-Revo, but the fact it requires 2 batteries really wears thin for someone new to this. I have a charger that can charge 2 and im looking at buying a second to cut time. It just ends up been too expensive, and an 8 year old is going to be over the moon with a Rustler, Pede or Firestorm smile.gif No need for the big Guy yet wink.gif

Mini LST is cool for the garden i suppose smile.gif Its VERY Small though (1/18th)

Have you ever had a mini lst2 ?????

just because its a 1/18 doesnt mean its no fun - they can take one hell of a bashing ........................................ also last time i looked most 8 year olds were quite small too wink.giflaugh.gif

I've not had a Mini LST, But ive had about 8 other minis and the novelty wears off fast :(

I did think of the Slash so popular, but I dont like the look of them, and they arent really a truck IMO, But they are GREAT!

I cant see a £299 one, (unless thats the new 4wd version) the most espensive i can see on mdoelsport is £129. But Basically, The difference between the Slash's are one is a VXL and one isn't. The more expensive (VXL) comes with a brushless set up, Which is MUCH faster than the normal one. You wil lget longer run times and more speed (Comparable to your nitro speed, maybe even faster with a Lipo).

If the £299 one is the 4WD, Its a brushless powered 4WD version opposed to the 2WD

IF you can afford its the one to go for, Its only about £50 more (£219) and the Motor/ESC is worth £130 new. As when he used to the speed on 6 cell nimhs, you can upgrade the batteries and get more speed as opposed to buying a new ESC/Motor. You can drive a fast car slow, but cant drive a slow car fast )

However, the brushed one will be enough for a 8 year old IMO

Edited by 19 Inch Guns

The slash is extremely tough and great to bash but also drives like a tank by all accounts rolleyes.gif

The vxl systems have alot of reliablity issues, mainly with the esc having poor/brittle solder joints - and personally think the speed would be too much for an 8 year starting off.

If its a traxxas product you want then i'd go with the rustler myself good.gif

Tough

parts are plenty

hop ups avalible

good beginner car

and when your son feels the need for speed a mild ez run brushless can be put in biggrin.gif

the stampede is nice being the monster truck but will topple over on cornering if used mainly on tarmac, so is better suited to offroad wink.gif

hows about this? stinger

2wd brushless so is very child friend :good: in terms of hot parts exhaust,engine.Use lower mah rated battery so he can get use to it :)

an @£135 rtr bargain

stepup-brushless.jpg

Edited by R46

There are a lot of good trucks out there for the money, the stinger is an example of it.

My recommendation would be the same as what I run; a Thunder Tiger Sparrowhawk XT http://modelsport.co.uk/?CallFunction=ShowSpecification&ItemID=34886

It comes brushless ready (metal drive train) and is easy to work on. Damn strong as well.

However, the rustler is a great starting point and very solid. The Slash 2wd will be just as solid as they share the same basic chassis layout!

Make this chap an offer, good truck, and you can pout it into 'training mode' giving half speed whilst your lad gets used to it.

http://www.msuk-foru...showtopic=71548

+

http://www.modelspor...on&ItemID=32526

&

http://www.modelspor...on&ItemID=33646

Take you slightly over budget, but gives you a brushless, lipo powered setup, ready to buy a few more batteries.

Which is were you will end up in a few weeks anyway.

My 9yr old tired of a brushed setup almost straight away, he now runs a Stampede VXL

good.gif

Oh so many replys and advice....

Thank you to all that have helped me in this....really great advice, i'm sure other's will use this post in the future.

So, I'm now in a little better position but still confused.

We have 100% decided we want the Traxxas range.

Here are my contenders :

I'd rather buy a better car now than latter so i've raised the cash to

The 1/16 revo VXL is miles faster than the stock brushed rustler and slash. I have owned the slash, the 1/16 revo, and now a rustler and I can safely say that the revo handles miles better than the slash. :good:

If you so much as touch the steering on a slash on tarmac it rolls. :lol: Sure, you can and will roll the revo. But its not as easy to do as it is in the slash. The revo might be better for him as its smaller. But it packs so much of a punch you can wheelie it with the stock pack. Training mode is a good idea though. :good:

The rustler...... Hmmmm

Not driven mine yet as I am still waiting for the top deck. (I have converted my slash to a rustler, got bored of the handling.) But I guess it wont flip as easy as the slash due to its wider wheels and stance.

Out of the three I would have the 1/16 revo any day of the week. Its fast, strong, cute, it handles well and unlike all the other traxxas cars the ESC and motor should last. :)

Oh, and its 4WD, so it wont spin under power quite as easy as a slash or rustler. Could be useful with a trigger happy 8 year old! :lol:

Hope it helps.

Edited by TiM!

Thank Tim,

I agree with your comments, the 1/16 Revo VXL sounds like the best all rounder for him.

Just called the shop to make the order and a chap tells me if i have the time to wait for the Slash 4x4 as its meant to be amazing..so never ordered it ?

Do you think its worth waiting for ?

I must say, the slash 4X4 looks a right beast. But in my opinion it looks a bit big and heavy for the brushless system its got. (1/10 VXL) The 1/10 VXL is unreliable at the best of times in a rustler or other lighter car.

But they might of sorted it. I can't see them selling something they know is going to cause them a lot of problems in the long run.

Should be very strong though, and again 4WD.

Hard to choose really. :lol: Both are and should be fantastic cars. :good:

I think he was talking about the 1/16th Slash not the 1/10th. The 1/10th Slash is bigger than most 8 year olds!

The Traxxas 1/16ths aren't that small, not much smaller than a 1/10th buggy but yes I guess they are easier for smaller people to handle so thats a sound idea.

They come in 3 flavors:

Mini E-Revo VXL

Mini E-Revo XL2.5

Mini Slash XL2.5

The one everyone talks about is the VXL version with a brushless motor and far too much power. Even with training mode this is not suitable for a small child. Its simply too fast and too wild.

You would be better off with the brushed Xl2.5 version to start with. Its slower (and still has training mode) and a little tamer, but otherwise identical. Slower by the way does not mean its a slouch!

Furthermore, if at a later date your son feels its too slow it can be easily brought up to VXL spec with this. Obviously this costs more in the long run, but when you factor in the damage caused by an 8 year old novice with a 40mph mini missile I think its not so bad!

As for the Slash vs Revo bit - they are the same chassis, just different bodies and wheels. They will drive pretty much the same. The wheel enclosing body on the Slash offers slightly more protection to the chassis, but is also more likely to get caught on rough terrain