• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Need a little help please

Kennaz32

Hi sorry if this is long winded as this is my first post on here. I bought my petrol car about 5 years ago, used it a hand full of times before it ended up in my loft for the past 3 years. I've decided to get it out the loft as I want to get back in to using it again but pretty much don't know where to start.

There a million question that I feel I need to ask, we'll not a million but you know what I mean.

A, does the car need looked at (serviced) to make sure everything is still in working order?

B, does the fuel I have a shelf life and will it be no good now?

C, will the glow start and plug still work ok? (I've got it plugged in to charge and the light is still showing red on the plug) Can't remember if it turns to green off not when fully charged

I would have taking back to the shop in Whitley Bay where I bought it for him just to get it all sorted so it was back up and running but I believe the shop has since closed down and not sure where the next closest one is.

Any comment to help me out would be appreciated

Thanks again

Stu.

You say petrol car, you mean nitro?  If the fuel was in a closed container it should be ok.

If the glow plug is bright red then that is ok.

Fill it up and prime it then try and get it going, make sure everything is working ok first (servo's etc) and try it.

How technical do you feel? Any moving parts would be best stripped, checked and re-oiled/greased. Did you leave after-run oil in it before storing? If not, you'd be best off checking the insides of the engine. Either way you should flush some fuel through it to get rid of any gunk. If the fuel has been opened you probably want to replace with new and a new glow plug would also help cut down on possible problems. Taking it to a shop is handy to have it checked but if you're thinking of using it ongoing, better to learn what to check and how to diagnose problems. :thumbsup:

Don't feel massively technical when it comes to stuff like this. Scared in case I make more problems for myself. I ran the car dry before storing but there is still a bit of fuel in the pipes. I suppose I'll try myself and get it back up and working and if that doesn't work I'll have to find a shop that will at at it for me. Thanks for the reply.

First job, clean those pipes out. Ideally replace them, Fuel piping is pretty cheap on fleabay. The main problem is oil/grease goes gammy over time and nitro fuel degrades the pipes. Clean out the tank as well, bound to be crap in there from the dregs of the fuel. Take the glow plug out of the engine, tip some fuel down the carb, turn the engine over slowly and then turn upside down. Do it a couple of times.