• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Savage Octane: APRIL RELEASE!

Nick

The HPI is a ringed engine, so a proper petrol two stroke, whereas the Losi doesn't and is just a modified nitro.

Octane isn't a fuel, the quality of petrol is measured on it's Octane Rating.

The higher the Octane number, the cleaner and cooler it will burn and make more power, though it's not really noticeable on low - mid range two stroke engines such as these,

Edited by Pistonhead
  • Like 2

The HPI is a ringed engine, so a proper petrol two stroke, whereas the Losi doesn't and is just a modified nitro.

Octane isn't a fuel, the quality of petrol is measured on it's Octane Rating.

The higher the Octane number, the cleaner and cooler it will burn and make more power, though it's not really noticeable on low - mid range two stroke engines such as these,

So losi is just a modified nitro meaning that it has a tapered fit which is exactly the same as a nitro engine. How long will a losi modified engine last before it needs a new build then? this losi engine seems to be pants then I guess  :whistling:

It seems to go well enough judging by their running video during Nuremburg. Screams like a nitro too, but not what i want from a petrol, tbh i want a petrol to sound like petrol, which the Savage does, just slightly higher pitched due to it being smaller capacity.

Out in April, not the 1st by any chance ...?  !!

Sorry, somebody had to say it.

For the initiative, I do wish them luck.

The price is basically what people are prepared to pay for it in the end. Initially I suppose its a calculation based on development, manufacturing and distribution costs ...

Al.

HPIs original idea was that the engine would "drop in" to Savages, Trophies etc. However after years of failing R&D, that isn't a reality anymore. I can't see this fitting in anything other than the Octane itself.

It's a stepping stone though, yeah it is a huge price tag but HPI have spent years R&Ding this and while it doesn't look like much to soem, they no doubt have a lot of data on what does and doesn't work, so when they do go on to building the next small petrol model, they will be leaps ahead.

• Like 1

be interesting to see the exploded part manuals when they come out to work out if parts are interchangeable. i.e. take out the middle of a nitro and swap in middle from octane, looking at the pictures that are floating about I would guess - TVP, engine, fuel, tank, radio box servo mounts, gearbox and drive shafts.

Parts will be available via a eBay chopshops soon after release, but will it cheaper option for existing owners.

I am saving my pennies either way.

I thought Traxxas where king of silly prices !

Come on HPI sort your prices out ! It can't be costing much to produce the savage xl it's been around for years and that little 15cc surely doesn't cost as much as a zenoah 26cc just can't work out what they are charging so much for ?

Price needs to come down

• Like 1

I'm seriously thinking of getting one on the day of release, I've had lots of hpi models & I've really enjoyed them, surely it's not that bad a gamble? It must be ready I can't see hpi releasing it as a lemon.

If you do, I am sure it will be a great car its not a gamble it is just a lot of money for what other cars can be had for.

I am sure I speak for the whole forum when I say, if you do get one, please put a review up on here as soon as possible :)

• Like 2

I have a feeling that when prices of these things come way down, Nitro racing will be completely replaced by 1/8th scale petrols. Now to just wait until these engines are used in 1/8th scale buggies.