• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Skyrc toro 150a esc ?

mydoddy69

So not one to give up ran another couple of packs calibration was spot on this time out so may have just been me not reading the instruction correct so that one i'll let it off.. Being used to the hobbywing and other less complicated esc to set up this one is more of a challenge its not really designed for bashing i'd say it leans more toward the side of racing with all the settings you can adjust (wasted on me to be honest) which once you get your head around opens up a whole new ball game ..

I wanted something more of a plug and play this is not like that at all more a tune and drive and for me that's just not what i'm into..great if you have the time and no how but i don't unfortunately and although i'd love to send it back for a refund i can't really as it's not faulty just a lack of understanding on my part so , I have decided this will go in the sales section as its not faulty just my lack of knowledge on setting it up correct and before i end up blowing it by setting it wrong i'll pass it on to some one with more know who i think will make better use of it than me  

Edited by mydoddy69

Sounds as if programming the mgm x series was a doddle in comparison!

Nice warts and all review however, thanks for taking the time out to do it. Personally, I wouldn't touch skyrc products with a bargepole, this confirms it.

Guess you don't realise SKY RC produce a lot stuff for other company's including Hitec and Tenshock ;)

But i wouldnt expect too much from their products as they are aimed at the lower end of the market :lol:

Edited by .AJ.
  • Like 1

Sounds like possible firmware issues which is kinda expected for a new design ;)

No other comments from others on the actual hardware components.?

MD:  Is everything on the above list changeable?  Ie:// Overheat protection levels?

Throttle and brake curve interest me a great deal esp when running un-sensored.

May not be what everyone wants, but I've been holding back on a new ESC in order to get these features.  (in this price bracket :lol: )  Previoulsy I've tried using exponential settings on my old hacked TX in order to adjust a throttle curve.  This actually seems easier.  :) (to me anyways).

To be honest i have now sold it and it was just only ever going to be a trail run of skyrc products ..It all works but has a few quirks that my need at some point a firmware update .. Once you get your head around the quirky LVC thing and start to tune it to suit you its fine but for me its just to much like hard work rather than fun ..

Yes everything on that list can be programmed plus a few other bits like turbo timing 

One thing i have forgotten thou is there is no way to program this without a box, pc link or Bluetooth module which are all extra's so once you factor the extra cost of that in looks like the hobbywing esc will come out on top for most folks 

Edited by mydoddy69

Guess you don't realise SKY RC produce a lot stuff for other company's including Hitec and Tenshock ;)

But i wouldnt expect too much from their products as they are aimed at the lower end of the market :lol:

I didn't know that AJ, ta for the enlightenment. Still wouldn't buy one tho, nice reliable hobbywing, castle and mgm for this monkey! Edited by Noj

Hmm, got one of these sitting here just now for my D8T conversion. Bit worried now.

Still will test myself and see what happens. No harm in that :P

Hmm, got one of these sitting here just now for my D8T conversion. Bit worried now.

Still will test myself and see what happens. No harm in that :P

It will be fine fella just remember to go in and adjust your LVC correct as out the box mine was not ,may have just been a bad one ?? once you got yours fired up pop back and let us know how it goes 

It will be fine fella just remember to go in and adjust your LVC correct as out the box mine was not ,may have just been a bad one ?? once you got yours fired up pop back and let us know how it goes 

Will do my best :)

Well i have been in an email battle now for a few days regarding the LVC issue and the long and short off it was there is no willingness from them to sort said issue.. I have taken photos made a vid and still they show no sign of help or acknowledging  there at fault .. they printed a mistake or made a firmware mistake which ever way you look at it but are not taking any responsibility for it ..Instead they think the eBay seller should take the duty of sort my damaged lipo !!!.. 

This company may well have links to better RC company's but there own customer support is just plain rubbish as far as i'm concerned...

So for those that are thinking of getting one a have made a review vid think this will explain better sorry if it's a bit long but wanted to get the whole issue in 

Well i have been in an email battle now for a few days regarding the LVC issue and the long and short off it was there is no willingness from them to sort said issue.. I have taken photos made a vid and still they show no sign of help or acknowledging  there at fault .. they printed a mistake or made a firmware mistake which ever way you look at it but are not taking any responsibility for it ..Instead they think the eBay seller should take the duty of sort my damaged lipo !!!.. 

This company may well have links to better RC company's but there own customer support is just plain rubbish as far as i'm concerned...

So for those that are thinking of getting one a have made a review vid think this will explain better sorry if it's a bit long but wanted to get the whole issue in 

Looks like I need a program box :/

Yep sorry to say but for the price you pay for esc + box or esc + skylink being the cheaper end your better off with the hobbywing !!

Not only does it come in slightly cheaper but it has better customer service, better protection and has the option to adjust it via a button on the switch so no need for the extra cost's ..

Then factor in the service from customer support that i have had, if your in the very unlucky advent at a later stage it should develop a reliability issue or just go puff that they will probably not take any blame or recognize it has a fault that they are responsible for

I know this has a lot more features to adjust and therefore it may well be more tun-able but really is that any replacement for quality or service ??  

It has some good but not enough for me to say i'd have it over a hobbywing which is it's target market but hey that's just my views and thought's we all different and like different things perhaps it will be a huge success but for me it's a flop 

Hope you guys have better luck with yours  :thumbsup:

Well I ordered the program box anyways, and have a few other bits to source still for my D8Te conversion, but will let you know how I get on with it anyways.

Hopefully be ok for a month or so atleast while im still tweaking things.

just out of interest can you link the hobbyking one your on about. New to leccy in larger scale cars, so far Im mainly micro/mini stuff, so would be handy for my book mark collection if nothing else :)

Informative vid,.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I would have read those voltage cutoffs as "1s"  not "per cell".  Not saying that its right cos it aint but if u are comparing to the HW esc equivalent then....

• HW's instructions aren't really much better either (imo).  My 5s would be below 3.0volt/cell too on the HW esc on default stock settings.

The HW esc doesn't auto detect (on 3 or 5 s) and would lead to worse events than a dud run down lipo if not manually set.

• Anyone who still uses the flashing lights for esc settings are pretty much in the dark ages.  Does any of us really not have a programme box. with our chosen esc?  (yeah the toro should be a combo pack but most sellers offer this as with HW).  I also wouldn't really want to rely on a/the flashing light menu for setting the Voltage cut off on my HW (which I would have to do!)
  • Dust and water protection being worse than HW is a definite negative but that can surely be modded and to me balances out with the better fan than the HW (which is usually changed out by it's owners).

Anyways proofs in the pudding to me so..  Are they gonna smoke out or provide better power delivery than the HW?

Interesting to hear how many HW's are going smoke recently...even if i own 2 of em :lol:

Calibration is particularly poor on HW ESCs, I have a 150 amp that used to cut in ridiculously early, basically as soon as the cells had come off peak. LVC is so poorly calibrated that it'd cut in at ~3.9 volts! To get around this I had to drop the LVC setting from 3.4 volts to 3.0! Now cuts perfectly at 3.4, just a ball-ache.

The not knowing the difference between odd and even cell counts is well documented, apparently there's a way of fixing this at home, but I've not heard how, so if anyone knows, do post it up.

As for dust, I'm thinking of nicking a pair of "her" tights and wrapping my ESCs in bits of the material. This should allow airflow, whilst keeping the dirt and stones out. I'll keep you posted once I've had a go.

All great points fella's but i will not agree with is the cut off voltage on the skyrc product its clearly marked in the manual as suitable for a 4s on the default settings and it's not ..It does not recognize different cell counts and works of the principle that all packs are a 1s in its LVC setting even thou it does auto detect what cell count you plug in ..Hence why you have too change the setting from default to a suitable one for the pack your using 

I'd rather have some protection for the esc and swap out a fan than have a great fan on a knackered esc this thing is very much open to moisture and from a basher side of things that just can't be good, and lets face it this is going to be aimed more at the low end basher market rather the the race boys anyway in my mind

But none the less all good points to take into account and great too hear from the other end of the field so to speak :thumbsup:   

All great points fella's but i will not agree with is the cut off voltage on the skyrc product its clearly marked in the manual as suitable for a 4s on the default settings and it's not ..It does not recognize different cell counts and works of the principle that all packs are a 1s in its LVC setting even thou it does auto detect what cell count you plug in ..Hence why you have too change the setting from default to a suitable one for the pack your using

I'd rather have some protection for the esc and swap out a fan than have a great fan on a knackered esc this thing is very much open to moisture and from a basher side of things that just can't be good, and lets face it this is going to be aimed more at the low end basher market rather the the race boys anyway in my mind

But none the less all good points to take into account and great too hear from the other end of the field so to speak :thumbsup:

Oh, I'm hearing ya loud and clear, with regard to the LVC. It's clearly a firmware failing, hopefully they'll fix it, even if they don't own up to getting it wrong.

And I'm definitely at your end of the field! Leccy MTs are where I started, Maxx first, then Revo. Had a summit. Good truck, but too slow. Had an e-Zilla, as poorly engineered as the old 3906 Maxx. Still fancy a G3 like yours, but no funds ATM as I'm now trying 1/5 leccy.

Liking your vids too! Good to see plenty of ramping going on! Keep up the good work, dry weather should be coming soon, so get back out there with the Gopro!

Cheers bud!

Think this boils down to the ever present "Chenglish" most of these manuals come in. Lost in translation me thinks....

• 2 weeks later...