• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

The Toxic Monster, savvy flux xl, alza racing center diff conversion, castle 1717, mamba xl2.

Toxic Basher

After seeing that alza racing had finally released the centre diff conversion kit for the savage flux, i just had to buy it  :yes:

It turned up yesterday looking like this  

med_gallery_18745_2401_291770.jpg

med_gallery_18745_2401_468964.jpg

As with all alza gear the quality is spot on, the dog bone looks especially nice  :sweatdrop:

So i was already in the testing stage with the savvy xl fitted with a castle 1717 and mamba xl2 esc, id had it out once and clocked around 55mph on the gps app running stock spur 44t and a 24t pinion, i had also fully upgraded the centre tranny to the super hd gears  :xd:

Anyway that was my donor car for the centre diff savage, here she is before the op

med_gallery_18745_2401_410480.jpg

med_gallery_18745_2401_106654.jpg

So first off id already bought another set of alza xl tvps from our good friend grumpygrampz, the thicker 5mm version, i also got the alloy battery mounts and a few other bits from gramps  :thumbsup:

With my goodies ready i built the centre diff kit first 

med_gallery_18745_2401_979897.jpg

thats one thing alza racing could do, include some instructions, its easy enough looking at the picture on the website but a simple sheet of paper with a brief diagram and a few basic instructions wouldn't hurt  :yes:

Next up i mounted the alloy battery box mounts to the new tvps,

med_gallery_18745_2401_5109.jpg

Next the centre diff was fitted and mounted to the chassis, i should of used cleaner diff cups but its only in the testing stage so ill be changing diff oils and spur size and will use better diff cups next rebuild, the centre diff is a stock vorza diff but it has the hpi lightning hardened internal gears and the edit titanium cross shafts, all filled with the thickest oil i had available.

med_gallery_18745_2401_852383.jpg

next the bad boy was fitted, the beautiful castle 1717, this is the newer version from a traxxas x01 so is slightly more efficient than the previous 1717. Hpi mod 1 25t pinion fitted.

med_gallery_18745_2401_854362.jpg

med_gallery_18745_2401_1058437.jpg

I just took the whole front end of the donor savvy with the esc already mounted to the alza racing servo plate, ace ds1015 servo iirc, all bolted up to the new tvp.

med_gallery_18745_2401_392962.jpg

rear end went on pretty easy, i could of and should of given it a clean but it'll be in bits again soon so can clean her when i have more time 

med_gallery_18745_2401_763076.jpg

Next its the other chassis plate and roll bar/handle and cage.

med_gallery_18745_2401_642330.jpg

med_gallery_18745_2401_511217.jpg

all wires are secured as tidy as can be for now.

med_gallery_18745_2401_207667.jpg

the last thing to do was add the battery boxes but i never really grabbed a pic, i skipped straight to the body shell pics  :thumbsup:

med_gallery_18745_2401_351868.jpg

med_gallery_18745_2401_430360.jpg

med_gallery_18745_2401_738022.jpg

med_gallery_18745_2401_69941.jpg

Full spec list is,

alza racing 5mm xl tvps,

alza racing center diff conversion,

alza racing servo mount plate,

alza racing hinge pin conversion,,

alza racing alloy battery box mounts,

hpi alloy big bores with hell fire shock caps and tini shafts,

hpi suspension conversion kit,

bp diffs with hardened lightning gears,

stock vorza flux centre diff with hardened internals,

xl axels,

edit cross brace bars,

uprated servo saver spring

castle 1717 motor,

castle xl2 esc,

ace ds1015 servo,

receiver cap,

all binded up to my spektrum dx4s.

I've probably missed a couple of bits out, testing to be done this weekend, still not sure what wheels to run yet and ill be sticking my hot racing 17mm hexes on from my other savage so no crappy flange nuts  :yucky:

Ill hopefully get some video added over the weekend, thanks for reading :thumbsup:  

• Like 3

looking good mate

cheers corbs  :thumbsup:

Very nice indeed mate :good:

Now you just need some IRC big bore V2 shocks..... ;)

there most definately on my wanted list mate, i do have a spare set of lst2 shocks so might give them a shot but the big daddies would look the biz.

cheers bud :) 

I'm not a savage fan Pat, but I love the look of yours!

Weigh it for me when you get a chance, would be really interesting to know?

thanks harvey, will get it on the scales asap  :thumbsup:

indeed, it's looking like a superb build, i will be following with interest as i am tempted by the centre diff conversion. it really is an amazling looking savage, the SC shell finishes it off i think

thanks bud, im not sure ill run the sc shell, ill let you know how the diff holds up  :yes:

looks amazing and the total build cost is :D hgih end triple figures :P

but on a serious note mate youve got a good un theyre :)

its only paper bud, we cant take it with us  :xd:  cheers mate, im itching to get her out, hopefully maiden run on sunday if the weathers ok  :thumbsup:

looking forward to seeing how much better this is going to be now

cheers mate, you can do some filming sunday if ya fancy it  :030:

Gearing is 48/25, will give her a run then have a look at the data log :)

Just two 3s nano techs for juice, ill be looking at asking alza to make me some battery boxes big enough to fit 4s then ill try it on 7s :lol:

get in line for the battery boxes already throught of a design :D

I think it's 30,000 mr doktor but I'm not 100% sure as there's no numbers on the bottle :lol: it's very thick though.

Scott you don't need the stock motor mount or plate when using the center diff conversion. The motor bolts straight to the center diff mount. You could still fit the motor plate if you wanted to but not the motor mounts. :)

30 000 will be too thin. I use 100 000 in my truck that is lighter and less powerful than yours and even on just 4s it still unloads lots of power to the front, but I like that setup. 2 years without any busted diffs ! But 30 000 in your monster will be like water.  You have a bigger motor and a heavier truck running on much higher voltage, so I think a thicker oil is a must. If I were you I would use at least 300 000 and more :D

• Like 1

I think it's 30,000 mr doktor but I'm not 100% sure as there's no numbers on the bottle :lol: it's very thick though.

Scott you don't need the stock motor mount or plate when using the center diff conversion. The motor bolts straight to the center diff mount. You could still fit the motor plate if you wanted to but not the motor mounts. :)

cheers mate.  :thumbsup:

toxic- I ran my truck without the motorplate and bent the chassis easily. It was my own center diff conversion, but it was very similar to this one from Alza. Your chassis is much thicker, not the puny 2,5mm from HPI, but it will be overpowered, so you should mount the motor plate where it belongs, especially if you are after the speed. It really makes the chassis a lot stiffer and increases its structural rigidity. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

Thanks mr doktor :) ill order much thicker oil asap, it may well be 100,000 but the labels all ripped etc so can't really be sure, either way ill be getting a few new bottles :) ill also take your advice and fit the motor plate or at least a few extra cross braces :D

could i be breaking my savage flux bevel gears through my diff oil being too thin? they keep breaking and everything is built right. i mean, it's just had the hard spider gears just put in with new 35 wt traxxas diff oil, everything shimmed correctly, and pop, another bevel gear after 10-15 mins off light play. its getting on my nerves a bit :shockingscary:

I've not killed a savage diff in a good while bud and I've been running some heavy set ups with a few different oils, how exactly are you shimming them ? If there not shimmed correctly they'll pop, it's all trial and error, shim them up too tight and they'll also go, you've got to get it just right :) have a good look at vids on YouTube for some good tips and advice.