• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

3D drawing thread..sketchup etc..

scrumpy jack

I know there's a few people into 3D modelling on here, so I thought I would start a bit of a thread to share pictures, tricks & tips etc...I have been messing with google sketch-up for about 6 months now and am now using it in tandem with the rendering program Kerkethea, I think I'm starting to get the hang of it and some nice looking results. These programs are pretty amazing considering there completely free and I'm running them on an 8 year old low spec computer, anyway here are some of my better efforts that I have been doing for my savage/ hotrod project

hot-rod-accessories-best.jpg

hot-rod-accessories-best2.jpg

Edited by scrumpy jack

lets see some pics please! danny boy- thanks for the nice comments about my efforts- I didn't watch any tutorial videos, just experimented and read lots about it- once you know how the tools work and get your head around drawing in a 3D space its fairly simple...ish! As nitro says It is hugely enjoyable - I love bringing the imaginings in my head to life..

Edited by scrumpy jack

Solidworks is my tool of choice, love messing around in it. I'm more into the simulation/ calculation side of it tbh.

screenshot29.png

Designing another cage for a Uni project atm as well. Will post some pictures up when I get a bit further in.

http://www.blender.org/ Blender is a superb program, although it does have quite a steep learning curve. I've been using Maya for years now in my artworks and Blender is every bit as good and in some areas better.

http://www.blender.org/features-gallery/gallery/art-gallery/ - Blender art gallery.

Edited by Jonny555

If you're a student you can register for students Autodesk and get 'student' versions for free. They're basically the full version but if you print off drawings you get 'educational copy' in the border. I've done City and Guilds level 1 and 2 courses in CAD/CAM. Use the software pretty regularly in my course to print stuff off on the 3D printer and laser cutter.

Harry.

I use Google sketchup for basic modelling, it's a very nice program although I'm very basic at the moment.

I'm trying to learn how to use Solid Works, although it's quite hard to self teach lol.

I used Pro-Desktop 8 at school though and was pretty good at it.

Used 2D design for laser cutting too, very easy to use although fairly limiting.

Best free program definitely sketchup, no two words about it. It's so easy to pick up, within a week you should be able to make relatively complex shapes.

glad there's some interest in this thread, and some great pics, but lets see some more, It doesn't have to be anything fancy! I may write a little 'getting started' guide for sketchup and Kirkythea if people are interested in having a go at some 3D stuff and have not yet tried it.

RevoRocks that's the single most complicated thing I've seen in sketchup, must have taken some skill and patience! I've used CAD for car bits mostl notably a set centre diff raisers for my old Losi. Printed them off on the 3D printer at school, worked a treat.

DSC01999.jpg

They lasted a fair old while, I made some steel ones to replace them in the end for Carl using the same drawings.

Solidworks, and Solidedge ST4 for me :)

Laptop cant run Solidedge :xd: Just about handles solidworks. But I hope to be doing a lot more, now that I have a PC Build in the works.

Plus with the new engineering soceity starting at Uni I should be able to make some of my own stuff. As they mentioned about group projects, and ideas of your own which you can develop.

Edited by HUNTER.P

Started with Sketchup about a month ago & been using Kerkythea since it was mentioned on the first page :) . Have a few bits in the 3d warehouse,im going to try to do a whole savage,but at the rate its going,its going to take a while !.Have only had a little play,so still have a lot to learn,but heres a few attempts -

My favorite so far :)

ENGINEMOUNTBRACE1.jpg

Slightly edited version (shame i set the ground plane incorrectly!)-

pmcenginemount4.jpg

Wheel hex's

17mmhex3.jpg

Bad company 2 final ranking tag (work in progress :) )

DOGTAG.jpg

Few more on my Photobucket here - http://s247.photobuc...g123/pro_mc/3D/

All crit welcome,good or bad :)

Edited by Promc

promc - I really like your savage bits- I was planning on doing a whole savage-as I have already done a chassis and A arms, but I'm not sure I will have the time as I want to get stuck into my hot rod build.

Those are some very nice renders! I wish I could do stuff like that.

promc - I really like your savage bits- I was planning on doing a whole savage-as I have already done a chassis and A arms, but I'm not sure I will have the time as I want to get stuck into my hot rod build.

Cheers guys :).

Revorocks - i havent done any tuts or owt,just experimented .Start with something simple and go from there :).

Scrumpy jack - That hotrod looks amazing !.The can of WD really sets it off,am still a long way off anything like that though.There seems to be a few peeps in the 3d warehouse who are making savage bits,maybe its time we all come together and make one between us :).

Quick render of a Uni Project:

XOj0x.jpg

Thats puuuurdy! Are you going to build the whole thing?

A few new renders -

I want to make a backgammon board,so just playing with ideas at the mo.

bg5.jpg

Some savage arms(bit dark i know!).So simple,yet a pita to draw because of the angles on the sidessavagearm1.jpg

I know theyve got the same backgrounds,really should use something else!.