• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Firebolt 15t upgrade

beetlebug

Hi, just upgraded my sons Maverick Strada SC with an HPI Firebolt 15t motor, but motor turns in opposite direction to old motor

so truck reverses when trying to go forward. To correct this i moved the throttle reverse switch on the radio. Is this normal??

Also with old motor by pushing trigger forward truck would brake but now if i do this it goes straight into reverse!!!

Many thanks.

Took truck out again today and it seems to go slow at first then speeds up on slight down hills but will not speed up

on very slight uphills but seems to go fast reversing up hill!!! I am very confused!!

Right, auto setup means the ESC learns which direction is which, and thats that. It won't change.

The speed difference is easy to spot on the ESC, the ''Forwards'' direction gives 100% power, the ''Reverse'' direction gives around 40-50% power, so you don't have an uncontrollable car going backwards. Also, to give a degree of braking effect theres a delay between travelling in one direction, then going in the other direction:

Forwards to reverse movement = 2/3secs delay

Reverse to forwards movement = no delay

The motor is probably built with advanced timing, so it'll rotate faster in one direction than the other, but on the Firebolt, you can't change the amount of timing so that is fixed.

For the time being, try and match the faster revving side of the motor movement to the ''Forwards'' direction on the ESC. Once those are matched, then try to make that move the car fowards. You might need to flip the diffs around.

The switch on the transmitter just affects which way you push the trigger to make it go. It doesn't solve the problem on its own as you've found out.

So basically, I'd do this:

Step 1. Put swtich on transmitter to NOR

Step 2. Wire motor to ESC, Pos to Pos, Neg to Neg

Step 3. Sit the truck on a block so the wheels can rotate (or take the pinion off)

Step 4, Turn everything on and see which side of trigger movement does what (in terms of delay and RPM). If pulling the trigger back makes the motor rev higher than pushing it forwards, try full throttle, then go full reverse and see if there is a delay. If there is, go to Step 6. If there isn't, then swap the motor wires over, flick the switch on the transmitter and try Step 4 again.

Step 5, Put the pinion on (or put the car down) and see what the throttle direction on the transmitter does in relation to driving the car.

Step 5, If its still backwards, then the diffs will probably need flipping over inside each gearbox casing.

Read this for a similar issue:

Hi guys thanks for all your help but still having problems.

I have tried what gary suggested but however i wire motor or whatever position switch is on radio, truck still moves slower going forward.

The only time it will speed up going forward is going down a very slight hill but takes time to reach full speed. It still goes fast going backwards

up and down hill. Another point is the radio has a "N" and a "R" position. not sure which is which now as when new it was in the "R" position. Also

original motor did same speed forwards and reverse. Is this motor different?

Gary also mentioned flipping the diffs over. What does this do and is it an easy-ish job for a novice?

Thanks again for all your help!!

• 2 months later...

Simple, look at this picture of an Associated RC18T:

RC18T7.jpg

That is the diff fitted in one direction, so the motor spins it to get movement. To flip it and get opposite movement, take the diff out and rotate it 180 degrees so the main gear is on the opposite side of the gearbox casing. Then, reassemble! :good: