• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

30 years away from rc

Evening all,

well after a break of nearly 30 years I am taking up rc cars again. Back in the day Tamiya was the brand I remember, had a holiday buggy and sand scorcher. A lot seems to have changed !! with Esc, Lipo's etc.

Generally looking to go out and have a good bash, so getting 2 cars, one for each of my understudies.

Options

Car 1 Slash 4/4, with decent lipos. ( just seen price drop on MS)

Car 2 Another SC, as a project, roller, etc ( Hong Kor or Hobao ?)

Now to the budget,

welcome to the forum!

get a slash, ultimate is best, buy some lipos and enjoy it. then when you feel it's too slow do this: http://www.msuk-forum.co.uk/topic/96054-nicks-slash-4x4-powered-by-insanity-project-mgm-x-series-esc-pics-must-see/

no, don't. we don't want another black hole opening, ones enough thanks :o:lol::D

Welcome aboard MSUK :good:

I'm sure that there are many great RC's out there to tempt your eye - but i say come over to the darkside - largescale :rofl:

But the slash looks really good, been fancying a SC to add to the garage and traxxas make some good cars.

Welcome to the forum.

Can't really comment too much on the cars as i have a have largescale and only 1 Leccy car but i am sure there will be others that will be able to assist better.

If you are after something fresh and new, you could try either of these ...

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=36927

http://www.modelsport.co.uk/index.php?product_id=34604

Slash 4x4 is a nice enough truck, and with decent batteries will go well. If you are buying another SC truck, though, you may find they are a bit too similar. I own a Hong Nor SCRT10 short course, and love it. With 1/8 scale elctrics and good batteries, they fly. I would guess the Hobao to be similar. Both of these use full 3-diff setups and solid ally chassis plates. Good solid trucks.

Might be an idea to get a 2WD SC truck for a bit of a contrast. The SC10 or HPI Blitz might be good choices. You can then strip out the stock electrics and go from there. Your budget allows for plenty of scope. You can set the 2WD up more as a racers truck and the 4WD Slash as a bashers truck. Mind you...I rate the Hong Nor over the Slash 4x4 and love the brutishness of it! Needs a few tweaks though....like an internal cover as it sprays muck all over itself when you run...and some tyres that are not teflon coated.... but I can't fault it for build quality! Those who have managed to break them ahve been trying very hard :)