• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Customer Service? Modelsport and Mtroniks

OllieS

Right,

I bought an Mtroniks Beast Combo just over a month ago now, when I first got it I soldered up the wires to the battery and motor, I then wired the BEC to the reciever as followed: I wired it so the power from the ESC goes through the voltage regulator then splits into power for the fan and the reciever. The "S" or white wire is split off on to channel 2 of the reciever. Nothing would happen, the voltage coming out of the esc to the reciever was 4.8v. So somehow two of my recievers dont work now. I then tried it with another reciever and it would not calibrate or anything, it would just show the red and green lights and do nothing. I did everything according to the manual.

I then decided to phone modelsport and they said send it to them so they can take a look at it, when I phoned them up the fist time they told me It was "may not be under warrenty" and that they are sending it off to mtroniks although it states it has a warrenty on the Esc when I bought it. I then phoned them up again asking where is it and I got the reply "it is not under warrenty as you have got solder on the S-link and has shorted It out" and then I was offered "

Edited by OllieS

I had a similar issue 2 years ago with an EVX2 from a brand new E-maxx, it released its Magic smoke on the second run, Sent it back to MS who sent it back to Traxxas UK.

Traxxas UK turned round and blamed me, (even though it was the second time it had seen a Pack, apart from that hadnt touched it.) of course they had my ESC, My word against theres.

MS didnt want to know....

So had to pay a repair bill or go without..

Wasnt impressed.

RC warranties from many companies arnt worth the paper there printed on..

they didn't used to that though I had a fusion charger with my erevo and that burned it's wires I sent it back and asked for a prolux go peak they gave that and a new battery cos I sent the battery that had melted connectors as a result of the charger burning they did it within a week

They should do the same to you or you could pick a similar priced one for them to give you

I had a similar issue 2 years ago with an EVX2 from a brand new E-maxx, it released its Magic smoke on the second run, Sent it back to MS who sent it back to Traxxas UK.

Traxxas UK turned round and blamed me, (even though it was the second time it had seen a Pack, apart from that hadnt touched it.) of course they had my ESC, My word against theres.

MS didnt want to know....

So had to pay a repair bill or go without..

Wasnt impressed.

RC warranties from many companies arnt worth the paper there printed on..

I just find it ridiculous that they said I have shorted it out when I havent. If you short it lights don't come on when you turn it on!!!

A refund/replacement really should be offered on both of these occasions as:

The Sale of Goods Act 1979

If you buy goods from a trader and they are not of satisfactory quality, fit for purpose or don't match their description, the trader will probably have to put things right. It is the trader who is responsible for this, and not the manufacturer. If a trader tells you the manufacturer is responsible, or that you have to make a claim on a manufacturers' guarantee, you do not have to accept this.

Depending on the circumstances, you may have one or more of the following rights:

• to get all of your money back
  • to get the goods repaired
  • to get the goods replaced
  • to get compensation.

Yeah that website came in handy thanks! :)

Edited by OllieS

Problem is you have altered it, so they don't have to taken it back.

A couple of years back I modified an Archos Gmini MP4 player to slot into a cradle in my car. The alterations basically amounted to some mounting brackets and screws into the case, short enough not to interfere. Used it like that for a few weeks, then one day the thing stopped loading up properly.

Looked more like corrupted software than mechanical fault, and it was still under warranty, but they wouldn't touch it due to my brackets. Even though they had nothing to do with the problem, fitting them voided the warranty, end of.

Problem is you have altered it, so they don't have to taken it back.

A couple of years back I modified an Archos Gmini MP4 player to slot into a cradle in my car. The alterations basically amounted to some mounting brackets and screws into the case, short enough not to interfere. Used it like that for a few weeks, then one day the thing stopped loading up properly.

Looked more like corrupted software than mechanical fault, and it was still under warranty, but they wouldn't touch it due to my brackets. Even though they had nothing to do with the problem, fitting them voided the warranty, end of.

But it states on the consumer direct that I am entitled to this as It has not shorted it out as the lights are still on.

And I have not altered it I used it exactly according to the manual, you may not have been entitled as you put screws through it which I am guessing were not suggested in the manual.

Edited by OllieS

Yeah but if you dont solder the wires to it in the first place how do you know if it works or not?

I'd contact citizen advice and see if they can help by sending a letter to MSUK. But this should not be happening, i use MSUK loads and im very happy with the service but saying that ive never had to send anything back or received faulty goods from them. Its situations like this where a company can really tarnish their name and end up loosing alot more business than the price of an esc and motor (not they they would lose out as they get credit back from Mtroniks as said)

I did look at this esc+motor when i was doing my brushless conversion but heard bad things about them and went with an MMM in the end (very happy with it) I think MSUK should stop selling them as the amount of failures i hear about on here they must be proper **** electronics!?

Yeah but if you dont solder the wires to it in the first place how do you know if it works or not?

I'd contact citizen advice and see if they can help by sending a letter to MSUK. But this should not be happening, i use MSUK loads and im very happy with the service but saying that ive never had to send anything back or received faulty goods from them. Its situations like this where a company can really tarnish their name and end up loosing alot more business than the price of an esc and motor (not they they would lose out as they get credit back from Mtroniks as said)

I did look at this esc+motor when i was doing my brushless conversion but heard bad things about them and went with an MMM in the end (very happy with it) I think MSUK should stop selling them as the amount of failures i hear about on here they must be proper **** electronics!?

Mtroniks are problematic...they are a tiny company and ive had my G2 beast replaced 3 times.

Dont deal with them , deal with MSUK...Mtroniks do end up honouring warrantees after a lot of pestering...MSUK will get a full credit for the item.

Have you phoned MSUK ? they are normally brilliant with faulty items. They may be getting the run around from Mtroniks..thier problem not yours.

Mtroniks are problematic...they are a tiny company and ive had my G2 beast replaced 3 times.

Dont deal with them , deal with MSUK...Mtroniks do end up honouring warrantees after a lot of pestering...MSUK will get a full credit for the item.

Have you phoned MSUK ? they are normally brilliant with faulty items. They may be getting the run around from Mtroniks..thier problem not yours.

Yeah I phoned them and they offered

if modelsport can fix the issue at no cost to themselfs they will do fairly quickly, i have had 2 chargers replaced that whent faulty, however on the occasions where modelsport are to blame or could be out of pocket youl have to dig deep and really get on their case.

Its a shame mtroniks have gone down hill before they where awesome with customer service. Id keep on at both mtroniks and modelsport, hopefully one will give in and replace it

to be honest ive called mtroniks costumer service yesterday(regarding my esc cutting off) and they didn't help me at all.... very poor..... plus i bought the esc from ebay (brand new).....

I don't really want to phone mtroiks as the amount of feedback saying they are useless it would be a waste of time (example):

to be honest ive called mtroniks costumer service yesterday(regarding my esc cutting off) and they didn't help me at all.... very poor..... plus i bought the esc from ebay (brand new).....

But I shouldn't have to to phone them should I? As modelsport should be trying to sort this out as they sold it to me and it was faulty, so why do I have to be the one that sorts this out with mtroniks to get a refund? And as said earlier they will get credit off mtroniks so wont lose out.

Edited by OllieS

id stand your ground....mtroniks often try and charge for replacements...not acceptable unless they can prove the item is faulty

from abuse. those exposed terminals are a very poor design...ive shorted mine many times and it doesnt smoke the ESC

I havent even used it or abused it just soldered it up and nothing just the red and green lights, which wouldn't be showing if it has been shorted as it would have killed everything. Traces of solder on the S-Link they said was the cause of shorting which I know is not true.

Edited by OllieS

I don't really want to phone mtroiks as the amount of feedback saying they are useless it would be a waste of time (example):

But I shouldn't have to to phone them should I? As modelsport should be trying to sort this out as they sold it to me and it was faulty, so why do I have to be the one that sorts this out with mtroniks to get a refund? And as said earlier they will get credit off mtroniks so wont lose out.

i just wanted to ask for a advice.... first time the lady hang up on me when i asked if she can put me through to somebody who can help me with my esc.... i didn't bay my esc form msuk so i want to sort it out my self or the guy who i bought the esc from said that i can send it back yo him and he will sort it our for me, but first i want to see if its the motor( sucking to much power ) or the esc if faulty.... but still must say didnt have any problems with MSUK costumer service ;)good.gifgood.gifgood.gif(and bought a few things from them always very very happy)

i just wanted to ask for a advice.... first time the lady hang up on me when i asked if she can put me through to somebody who can help me with my esc.... i didn't bay my esc form msuk so i want to sort it out my self or the guy who i bought the esc from said that i can send it back yo him and he will sort it our for me, but first i want to see if its the motor( sucking to much power ) or the esc if faulty.... but still must say didnt have any problems with MSUK costumer service ;)good.gifgood.gifgood.gif(and bought a few things from them always very very happy)

I know there service has been great up until now, so this has definately put me off ordering now as I had done small orders ie

Mtroniks are terrible. They installed the wrong FETs and capacitors on a huge range of the ESCs and failed to resolve the issue after months of blown up speed controllers (this applies to their new G2/Beast range).

They very rarely replace controllers.

Modelsport would of contacted them and tried to get a replacement but if Mtroniks don't cooperate and say it is irreplaceable for whatever reason, then Modelsport either has to come back to you and sadly say no, or, pull the money out of their OWN pocket.

So while I understand your anger at Modelsport, they aren't the ones to point the finger at. I would personally call up Mtroniks!

Mtroniks are terrible. They installed the wrong FETs and capacitors on a huge range of the ESCs and failed to resolve the issue after months of blown up speed controllers (this applies to their new G2/Beast range).

They very rarely replace controllers.

Modelsport would of contacted them and tried to get a replacement but if Mtroniks don't cooperate and say it is irreplaceable for whatever reason, then Modelsport either has to come back to you and sadly say no, or, pull the money out of their OWN pocket.

So while I understand your anger at Modelsport, they aren't the ones to point the finger at. I would personally call up Mtroniks!

+1good.gif

If an item is genuinely fault for what ever reason, it doesn't matter whether it was made as a one off item, or sold in millions, fact is its faulty and should be refunded/replaced. As said, the issue lies with the 'my word against yours' tale. In the end it will either come down to harrassing someone enough that they give in, proving to MSUK/mTronics that the fault is not down to you, or giving in yourself and taking a loss.

Basically, have a generic email setup to send them every day, call them from a witheld number every day and if nothing after a week or so, a few Recorded Delivery letters stating your views. If you still get nothing, you wont get anything...it'll be a bit like Us against the Police, they are always right (Or something like that...)...

Sorry, but any retailer that sells items, also has to honour the warranty. its there responsibility as a seller. so if Modelsport have to take a hit and pay for a replacement out of there own pocket, then so be it. it will then be upto them to pressure Mtronics to either improve there customer service policy / warranty policy, or dont bother using them any more..simple really..

Sorry, but any retailer that sells items, also has to honour the warranty. its there responsibility as a seller. so if Modelsport have to take a hit and pay for a replacement out of there own pocket, then so be it. it will then be upto them to pressure Mtronics to either improve there customer service policy / warranty policy, or dont bother using them any more..simple really..

+1 good.gif The amount of S#!t i used to get where i worked about faulty stuff...nothing made by us, just supplied...and where i am now we have returns that we've been waiting for credit on for about 2yrs now...cant do anything about it though!