• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

78.8's Losi LST2.8

Lexan MMM mount update

Holy cows this stuff is tough! I did read up on the most productive way to cut thick lexan and band saw, jigsaw etc were mentioned. I dont have access to either so thought I'd try the score and snap technique. Taped the template to the lexan and taped the whole leaxn peice up. After some work I'd scored around 3mm around the whole piece & tried to snap it...no luck.

Decided after chatting to a few of the NLB lads that a dremel or cheap dremel copy (maplins) would be a better solution. With a dremel / or dremel copy, because of the high RPM's it can cause the plastic to melt (and it does trust me) so used a mediul setting.

Lexan (in brown tape) and maplins rotary tool

P1020819.jpg

1 broken attachment, 2 diamond cutting disc's later and the 3 side's were cut. I left a couple of mm on each side to sand down

Like my mobile tree stump work bench? lol

P1020821.jpg

Not perfect but good enough for me

P1020823.jpg

Lexan mount on the LST2 chassis

P1020822.jpg

Another angle

P1020825.jpg

This is how I'll be looking to mount the MMM on the lexan

Will a couple of extra holes in the chassis, then the lexan screwing to the chassis, then MMM onto the lexan

P1020824.jpg

Edited by 78.8

Joe, its a straight as it going to get ;) lol.

Cheers Josh, another mod I picked up off the LST forums.

So to fit the lexan on to the LST2 chassis I drilled a further two holes in the chassis and used the exsisting 2 servo holes. I then drilled 4 holes slowly in the lexan with a depth of around 7.5mm (by eye) and screwed it on. Feel's solid at the moment.

To fit the MMM TRX plate (that holds down the MMM) on to the lexan I once agained drilled slowly around 4mm depth, again this feel's solid but will find out at the weekend ;)

Coming round to the thinking that I should rebuild the diff's and use oil instead of grease. The diff's and the tranny are the only bits I havent touched yet on this build. I mentioned that theres a flip you can do with the gears in the transmission to gain some extra top speed but I'm not too bothered about that TBH. Going back to the diff re-build, its so easy to get them out, once again using Fatbear's site for Diff Removal

Then I can rebuild and shim if necessary following This link

I've got the afternoon tomorrow to get the majority of the build complete so I can test before the NLB bash this weekend

Edited by 78.8

ittle bits done

4mm shock mount screw mod

P1020832.jpg

The 4mm screws are huge,

The lexan on the chassis with the TRX plate on the MMM screwed onto the lexan

P1020831.jpg

P1020835.jpg

From underneath the chassis

P1020834.jpg

Moved both RPM adaptors on the front A arms. This gives a little more clearence for the driveshafts and shocks.

P1020836.jpg

Had a very quick blast on the driveway last night and today..loving it (even postman was mightily impressed - nearly fell off his bike :D ) but need to threadlock a few thing :whistling: lol. Lost a wheel nut straight away, but blue stands out pretty dam well on tarmac but grub screws dont :confused:

With the final set up / next to can of coke for size

P1020833.jpg

Still need to add (and threadlock) the skid plates

P1020829.jpg

Will see how well the set up run's this weekend, as said previously I'd like to move the TRX RX box a little further back from the lipo, will have a RCMonster battery box in the next week or so, also pick up a castle 1520 motor (off Joe :good:from the castle sales ) as I'd like to try 5/6s on the LST2. I may go with larger screws to screw through the shock towers & chassis so I can use lock nuts on them...thats my possible weakness I can think of at the moment.

It's so pretty Chris..will you really want to bash it? ohmy.gif

Yeah, I'm desperate to launch off Joe's ramp :good:

Built to use and abuse Andy ;)

so pretty! Those skids look kl too!!! Cant wait to see this in person!

Not long Josh now :good:

wow, looking good!

byw i know its a bit late but i have a bit of carbon fibre you could use for the mmm mount? can be cut with a hacksaw and cleaned up with a dremel pretty easy.

Cheers Kris,

I'll try the lexan this weekend mate and may get back to you, thanks for the offer :good:

very nice indeed mate, :good:

Thanks chappo :good:

Looks amazing Chris, cant wait to see her on Saturday.

My boys coming down on Saturday and he is peeing his pants over your LST2, Like father like son i guess:P

Thanks Jim,

Sweet, would love to bring my lad but only he's only just gone two and would be in every ones pit box all the time :whistling: lol the amount of screws or tools he's "borrowed" when I've not been around. Wouldnt mind but he's got a little plastic set of his own!

I feel ashamed to bring my lst2's out now that you've got this :lol:

:boo: lol, see you and your LST2's saturday ;)

This is the hard part of the project, its nearly finished, now what!?

Building and planning is more fun than using :(

First off is to bash, only reason I've built it, I get a huge buzz from running the LST2. There's still a few things I'd like to do, single servo, adding a castle's bec, remount the TRX RX box, full skid plate. I do agree that reading up on parts, finding them, waiting for the postman to knock at the door with the parts and building is alot of fun, but for me nothing beats running your RC outside.

At the begining of the build I was planning to do the same to the Losi XXL, but there's only 3cm difference in chassis length between the LST2 & XXL and err I'm skint.

Thats an amazing build mate, you've made my mind up, the Muggy's getting the treatment when I can afford it, I'll have to go some to get something as fantastic looking as this though good.gif

Cheers mate :good:

Cant wait for your build thread ;) lol

That is the right answer Chris! laugh.gif

I'll have the camcorder ready to get that first jump on..err..memory card wink.gif

Andy, I couldnt build an RC & not abuse it...I mean use it lol.

...best not miss the ramp then :o:D ..I'll bring my camera & tripod

Well I've mounted the Ford 250 shell, shell comes over the front bumper so no jumping but it looks the business. Now making a mess of a clear LST2 shell trying to spray it out side in this weather (frozen monkeys where I am today).