• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

HPI Trophy Truggy and Buggy Owners Club!

henzy190

Thinking about buying a Trophy Truggy Flux, how durable are they. I was just put off buying the Bullet ST after reading a bit about it and not finding anyone with anything good to say about it. What are the bad points with the Trophy?

Joined yesterday. Don't understand this forum properly! Am I right in assuming that the Truggy and Buggy Owners Club is simply one very, very long topic, to which you simply add to if you have a question?

I bought an 'incomplete' Truggy 4.6 from eBay and in fairness got a fair few components for what I paid. Front/rear suspension almost complete, and chassis has gearboxes and diff fitted too. Have tank, rx box, and steering/servo linkages in place as well, along with usual braces and servo tray.
Qu 1 - Came with a 'loose' Hpi SB-5 (MG) servo (not attached to upper chassis servo tray). Should I use this as the throttle servo and buy a Savox-0231 MG for the steering?
Qu 2 - Bought a new set of stock rims, inserts and shredders and have NO immediate plans to buy different rims. Should I still consider the 17mm hex conversion?

Thanks in advance!

To be honest mate the servo is entirely up to you. You'd be gaining about 4KG of force. In something like the trophy the 11KG servo you have at the moment would be sufficient. I only have a 9kg steering in the much heavier Hyper ST.

Also again if you want to spend the money and get the 17mm parts now go a head. If not then wait until you know what you're doing with your wheel choice :)

Just my 2 pence 

1 hour ago, MrBusagain said:
I bought an 'incomplete' Truggy 4.6 from eBay and in fairness got a fair few components for what I paid. Front/rear suspension almost complete, and chassis has gearboxes and diff fitted too. Have tank, rx box, and steering/servo linkages in place as well, along with usual braces and servo tray.
Qu 1 - Came with a 'loose' Hpi SB-5 (MG) servo (not attached to upper chassis servo tray). Should I use this as the throttle servo and buy a Savox-0231 MG for the steering?
Qu 2 - Bought a new set of stock rims, inserts and shredders and have NO immediate plans to buy different rims. Should I still consider the 17mm hex conversion?

Thanks in advance!

Hi matey :)

What Hellaflush said. But just to add:

I did the 17mm conversion purely because I kept snapping axles.

What I have found is if I do the nuts up only just tight with some blue threadlock they didn't snap as much.

If you snap some and/or do eventually go for different wheels then do it, otherwise it's fine stock.

Different wheels have different thickness plastic at the hex. My new set I got were thinner so instead of tightening on the plastic rims the nut was forcing on the axle stub which started my initial snapping problems.

That front "brace" can pop off so if you get a longer screw through the ball holder things so you can get a nut./washer on the top it stops it happening if you get my meaning.

Edited by dazp1976

4 hours ago, HellaFlush said:

To be honest mate the servo is entirely up to you. You'd be gaining about 4KG of force. In something like the trophy the 11KG servo you have at the moment would be sufficient. I only have a 9kg steering in the much heavier Hyper ST.

Also again if you want to spend the money and get the 17mm parts now go a head. If not then wait until you know what you're doing with your wheel choice :)

Just my 2 pence 

Thanks Hellaflush. I've heard the SB-5 is/was a decent servo, and seen them on eBay going for £25+ so assumed it might make for a fast/torquey servo. As many members seem to rate the Savox 0231 as a decent steering servo too, I thought I'd make a purchase and then relocate the SB-5 to the throttle.

Although I'll be running stock rims etc, I'm still concerned that I might snap a few axles when bashing as a newbie (excitable and over ambitious with jumping?) so I thought I'd do the conversion whilst she is stripped down.

4 hours ago, dazp1976 said:

Hi matey :)

What Hellaflush said. But just to add:

I did the 17mm conversion purely because I kept snapping axles.

What I have found is if I do the nuts up only just tight with some blue threadlock they didn't snap as much.

If you snap some and/or do eventually go for different wheels then do it, otherwise it's fine stock.

Different wheels have different thickness plastic at the hex. My new set I got were thinner so instead of tightening on the plastic rims the nut was forcing on the axle stub which started my initial snapping problems.

That front "brace" can pop off so if you get a longer screw through the ball holder things so you can get a nut./washer on the top it stops it happening if you get my meaning.

Thanks dazp1976.

I have a gut feeling I'm going to trash lots of axles as I start out, so am very tempted to go for the orange hex conversion. Used an earlier post on this forum for parts and priced the entire kit for around £55. 

Does that seem about right? No plans to split the cups with heat, so opting to buy new replacement front dog bones and cups/axles. That's why I assumed the £55 was so pricey.

So...

the next BIG question?

I have no power plant at all!

The Truggy came without an engine on eBay (well, he removed it from the vehicle and sold it separately - purple cooling head, so assuming it's the V1 engine).

I have stock running gear and very few upgrades, so I'm looking to purchase a V2 engine. Already have a new pipe and manifold.

Seen a new Modelforce V2 priced up very reasonably compared with comparison sellers and it has carb fitted.

Anything I should know before purchasing this beast of a power plant?

2 minutes ago, MrBusagain said:

So...

the next BIG question?

The Truggy came without an engine on eBay (well, he removed it from the vehicle and sold it separately - purple cooling head, so assuming it's the V1 engine).

I have stock running gear and very few upgrades, so I'm looking to purchase a V2 engine. Already have a new pipe and manifold.

Seen a new Modelforce V2 priced up very reasonably compared with comparison sellers and it has carb fitted.

Once tuned right they seem fine. Can suffer air leaks from time to time but most rtr 4.6 engines are based on the same Force .28 engine anyway. Doesn't come with a pullstart or clutch tho.

I'll have to check but I might have a HB 3 shoe clutch setup for it in my box.

If parts are available I might've plumped for the Hong nor:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hong-Nor-Force-28-4-6cc-Pull-Start-Nitro-RC-Engine-FCE2801-/322448930553?hash=item4b137436f9:m:mTXhWfYuL--nUonZDVSpvBw

£55 on the hex kit sounds about right. mini300bhp had some complete kits available but is away and closed the shop atm

Splitting the cups is pretty easy using a blow torch + I got £7.50 back for my original axles.

Buggy cvds £18

Rear axles £5

Hexes £12 ish

Maybe + £2 for some grubs

The Vorza hexes are nicer (black). Didn't like the Orange.

32 minutes ago, MrBusagain said:

Thanks dazp1976.

I have a gut feeling I'm going to trash lots of axles as I start out, so am very tempted to go for the orange hex conversion. Used an earlier post on this forum for parts and priced the entire kit for around £55. 

Does that seem about right? No plans to split the cups with heat, so opting to buy new replacement front dog bones and cups/axles. That's why I assumed the £55 was so pricey.

Get on these quick:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VORZA-HP-17mm-WHEEL-HEX-HUBS-NUTS-67486-67492-set-screws-pins-HPI-101850-/371743897441?hash=item568da9b761:g:H2IAAOSwCGVX5BXW

18 minutes ago, dazp1976 said:

Once tuned right they seem fine. Can suffer air leaks from time to time but most rtr 4.6 engines are based on the same Force .28 engine anyway. Doesn't come with a pullstart or clutch tho.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hong-Nor-Force-28-4-6cc-Pull-Start-Nitro-RC-Engine-FCE2801-/322448930553?hash=item4b137436f9:m:mTXhWfYuL--nUonZDVSpvBw

£55 on the hex kit sounds about right. mini300bhp had some complete kits available but is away and closed the shop atm

Splitting the cups is pretty easy using a blow torch + I got £7.50 back for my original axles.

Buggy cvds £18

Rear axles £5

Hexes £12 ish

Cool.

Will source a clutch/pullstart after I fork out for the engine.

Thanks Daz.

51 minutes ago, dazp1976 said:

Thanks Daz. £9.78 (includes international postage) - bargain.

Just purchased a set - who needs orange anyway! Lol.

Cheers.

Thinking about buying a Trophy Truggy Flux, how durable are they. I was just put off buying the Bullet ST after reading a bit about it and not finding anyone with anything good to say about it. What are the bad points with the Trophy?

I have a habit of nosediving on landing and soon found out that the chassis needs strengthening, I would say it's a must do upgrade 1091e82694760c414b8199435cb7087e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, dazp1976 said:

Buggy cvds £18

Rear axles £5

Hexes £12 ish

When you say "if parts are available" reference the Hong Nor, what exactly do you mean?

Apologies for sounding daft...

2 hours ago, MrBusagain said:

So...

the next BIG question?

I've got a very powerful .28 engine with everything with it, pipe, air filter, ally clutch, pull start, only just been broken in really up for sale. Would be perfect for your needs 

5 minutes ago, HellaFlush said:

I've got a very powerful .28 engine with everything with it, pipe, air filter, ally clutch, pull start, only just been broken in really up for sale. Would be perfect for your needs 

Appreciate the offer mate.

Just put in a cheeky bid in on an eBay Hong Nor .28, waiting for response.

Will get back you you on this - what would you be looking for pricewise

55 minutes ago, MrBusagain said:

When you say "if parts are available" reference the Hong Nor, what exactly do you mean?

Apologies for sounding daft...

Meaning spare parts.

These days the u.k. is a bit iffy with carrying spares for some vehicles if you bust anything.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dazp1976 said:

Meaning spare parts.

These days the u.k. is a bit iffy with carrying spares for some vehicles if you bust anything.

Yep. I get that. Makes sense now.

Cheers mate.

21 minutes ago, MrBusagain said:

Appreciate the offer mate.

Just put in a cheeky bid in on an eBay Hong Nor .28, waiting for response.

Will get back you you on this - what would you be looking for pricewise

£50 all in, it's in as good of condition as it gets without going brand new. 

Welcome to PM me an offer 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HellaFlush said:

£50 all in, it's in as good of condition as it gets without going brand new. 

Welcome to PM me an offer 

Thanks mate. Not gonna haggle. Happy to pay the £50. Sounds promising mate.

will get in touch shortly with PM details etc. Just need to retract my eBay offer without offending the seller.

Wish me luck!

11 hours ago, HellaFlush said:

Meant to ask Matt, will your .28 engine fit my straight into the Truggy 4.6 without the need for mount adaptors or any other changes?

Assuming it's the Mac Star .28 you're selling (read your bits/bibs post).

I just haven't heard/seen another Hpi Truggy with this model.

Hope it's not a daft question....

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

hi all. I am after a e-clip for the trophy 3.5 lower front suspension pin, I think the whole part including pins is part number C8013 or 101020 but I don't need the pins so wondering if you guys know what size e-clips i need?

cheers

6 hours ago, dtokez said:

hi all. I am after a e-clip for the trophy 3.5 lower front suspension pin, I think the whole part including pins is part number C8013 or 101020 but I don't need the pins so wondering if you guys know what size e-clips i need?

cheers

I think it's 3mm on the inner pins.

I got sick of it so used 109848 captured hinge pins from a D812 on both front and back. (perfect fit needs M3 nut):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pasadores-internos-trapecios-2-Uds-Hot-Bodies-D815-D817-E817-109848/192391859797?hash=item2ccb72ce55:g:TvQAAOSwWLBaK5Vs

You could also make a partially threaded M4*100mm bolt work. (cut down slightly with a couple of washers on it)

A 90mm may be just a tad short leaving not much smooth bit in the holders. They normally have approx 25mm thread length on the end.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-CAP-HEAD-BOLTS-ALLEN-SOCKET-SCREWS-HIGH-TENSILE-12-9-STEEL-M4-4mm/253093901926?hash=item3aed927666:m:mLELDa-wYw0axOS_E6eUwtg