• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

GCM DB savage flux build

dirtyhabitz

looks good to me :D

how does main5t keep the rods together? are they just screwed together with self tapping screws?

Yes,the main front to back lengths are in one piece and the cross braces are held with self tappers.

I'm guessing they would use some kind of glue on these joints also?

I'm gonna try and make mine so that I can fit a lexan shell over the top,so the cage supports the shell to some degree.

If that doesn't work out then it'll be the Mad Max look for me lol!

A quick update.

I got my SPIs built up and fitted at last!

I also fitted new shock springs (yellow) all round,now there's much less sag.

Tyres cleaned and ready for tape (Gorilla tape)

101_0119.jpg

Worth cleaning the inside of your tyres before taping?

101_0118.jpg

Taped and ready for fitting..

101_0120.jpg

Mmm sexy :D

101_0121.jpg

And springs..

101_0122.jpg

And all fitted..

101_0125.jpg

101_0124.jpg

Lol looking like Josh's is quite a compliment Joe,

I think his flux looks mint!

But this is as far as looking the same goes. Josh and I

are going in different directions build wise,Josh is going for

all out performance and I'm going for bash-a-bility.

The same but different!

And yeah the XL chassis makes it much

more usable Guns. It's how HPI should have made it IMO.

just about to order some 6mm nylon rod... only available in white... which is a bit of a bummer...

anyone else want anything? as the postage is pretty high for a small piece of plastic rod... i'll add your order on to mine and we'll split the postage josh? as your semi local and i see you every now and then :P

gonna redesign the roll cage for my rc18t :D

just to see how easy it is to work with :)

Edited by Bazzokajoe

Thanks for the kind offer Joe! :good:

Josh,I don't think weight will be to much of an issue,I reckon this nylon rod is gonna be quite light. Mine order has been shipped so I'll know how light/heavy soon.

I got my pipe cleaners this morning so I can start mock up. I was thinking that if I wanted to save the template I could paint the pipe cleaners with resin so they

would keep their shape. :D

why do you tape the inside of the tyres ??

To try and stop the tyre from "ballooning" is the simple answer. I don't think it's as much of a problem with buggie tyres but on MT tyres it's a big issue.

It's not helped buy the huge power from the BL set-ups we use.

how would you use pipe cleaners as a template? i cant picture it?

12mm sounds good... but mainst told me the white nylon was more brittle compared to the black nylon for some reason... So ill go with black just in case...

If all goes well i would like to design the nylon rod in a way that protects my battery boxes, and prevents the a arms from flexing too much when cart wheeling. There must be a wayhappy.gif I bend way too many drive shafts, and its starting to hurt my wallet...

What driveshafts are you bending? The extra thick hardened uber strong ones?

Looks excellent i luv them carbon fibre bodyshells, u gt a link to the guy who sells them??

They are a nice body but they don't take too much abuse and they are quite heavy.

I think they might only make them for the savage but I'm not 100% sure,you can email them and ask.

Here's some links..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WHITE-FIBREGLASS-BODY-SHELL-DECALS-HPI-SAVAGE-FLUX-/160460818888?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WHITE-FIBREGLASS-BEETLE-BODY-SHELL-LEDS-HPI-SAVAGE-FLUX-/160459248385?pt=UK_ToysGames_RadioControlled_JN

I hope this helps :good:

Hi Guys,

I have a problem with my nuts :o ... Wheel nuts ;) .

I've been out twice with my new SPI's fitted and both times I've had a wheel nut come loose and a wheel come off :( .

Yesterday I went over the golf course behind my house and a rear wheel come off within 2 mins. Now I know all the wheel nuts were tight as I'd just put the

wheels back on before using the truck.

When I put the wheel back on I thead locked it and made sure it was really tight,I then did the same to the other 3 and thought that would be an end to it.

Today I took the truck over Bedfords country park. I went thru the first set of lipos no probs and was about 10mins into the second set when the same thing

happened again!

Now I obviously have a problem but I cant see what it is. The wheel nuts are the ny-loc type and are the right ones for the axles. They seem to tighten down ok and

when tight the axle is flush with the end of the nut. They don't seem to have any play in them and with thread lock used they SHOULD stay put,right?

Am I missing something here?

Josh,have you had this with your SPI's?

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by dirtyhabitz

@Andy... sorry i have been away for a day...

Yes andy, the spis have a problem with wheel nuts coming loose. You have to torque them down really hard! REALLY HARD! and i check my wheels every few minutes. Annoying, YES... but i had the same problem with my plastic rims too... When i had thread lock, it stopped the problem. but i still check my nuts frequently. I have a lot of extra wheel nuts because of this.

Nice1 andy on receiving your nylon... could you take some pics of how flexible it really is? if you say the 10mm really is flexible then maybe thats why mainst uses 12mm for that reason?

Joe i dont mind getting some with you, but i am going to have a proper look at the site when i get back.

How much is postage by the way?

@revorocks... yes i am bending the SHD dog bones. Not from the torque but from cartwheels.

Andy, please take pics of your mock ups for you cage... and can you see how easy they are to bend and what are you going to use to heat them?

THANKS

Josh