• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

GCM DB savage flux build

dirtyhabitz

Hey Guys,

this is my attempt at keeping the fluxes front wheels on the ground...it failed! :P

I started out with a bog stock BNIB flux around 6 weeks ago,I was running 4s (my first BL set-up) and I was blown away by it!

It's sooo fast but just spends most of the time on it's back or tumbling thru the air on the way to being on it's back..after a huge wheelie.

Then I trashed the pinion followed by the drive gear in the gearbox. So while it was apart I thought I may as well go the whole hog and give it a make over.

So the parts list went like this...

GCM DesertBoy XL TVPs and skid plate.

RW racing HD pinion

HPI HD drive gear

HPI Hi-speed idler

HPI sway bar kit

HPI XL axles

HPI heat sink motor plate

HPI heat sink motor mount

HPI big bore shocks

AWC hard case XL shell

SPI Pro-stock wheels (still waiting for these :( )

Proline badlands (just to upset the grounds keeper from the golf course behind my house:D )

And so it begins..

101_0015.jpg

101_0016.jpg

101_0017.jpg

I stripped,cleaned and rebuilt the diffs with new diff oil,10K front-50K rear.

101_0018.jpg

and then started to put it all back together..

101_0032.jpg

101_0037.jpg

101_0034.jpg

I did have a small issue with the motor mount that was butted right up against the servo,so I cut 3mm off of the mount.

101_0035.jpg

I re-used the old motor plate to make an electrics mount at the rear or the truck.

101_0041.jpg

101_0043.jpg

It's starting to look like a truck again!

101_0053.jpg

101_0055.jpg

Sway bars and shocks next (I'm using 35w oil in the shocks for now)

101_0060.jpg

101_0082.jpg

The ESC and RX in their new home

101_0083.jpg

The only thing I managed to break during the whole build :confused:

101_0084.jpg

And how it looked when I'd almost finished.

101_0073.jpg

I know the Monster energy thing has been done to death but it does go with the whole monster truck thing.

And I went a bit over board with the stickers,I was board while waiting for parts! :D

I've taken some back off but not that it matters as the shell don't look like that anymore!!

I took it out for a shake down run today and guess what..?

It still wheelies for England! lol

But it is much more managable now,and it jumps real well too.

It kind'a floats thru the air giving you plenty of time to make mid-air adjustments.

I'll post some vids as and when :good:

Thanks guys!

Yes they are XL size TVPs and the quality is second to none.

The shocks are the HPI big bores and the springs are the "pink" ones. But I'll probably go up a size or two on the spring rates.

There are still a couple of jobs to do (wheels and tyres and a new on/off switch) so I'll post some more pics when those are done.

I may do a bling body for it but I'm not sure yet.

I like this one,

http://gcmachine.ca/...uff/desertboyxl

But HATE how the ESC mounts, Also where do you actually buy any of the stuff? lol

The shocks were £92 (shocking! lol)

And I bought the TVPs from the GCM site,that link I posted.

The TVPs and skid plate came to £87 but then customs and the post office had my pants down for another £18.50 :( import duties and handling fees.

101_0079.jpg

Edited by dirtyhabitz

does the motor mount in the front in ALL the GCM conversions?

Yes it does,it helps with the weight distribution and makes for a better balanced truck.

It also cures the problem of the slipper clutch nut coming loose as the motor spins the other direction.

WAHAY!!!! its coming together nicely!!!

You have made a very good choice in TVPs! Yes they are more expensive than most out there... nor do they look the best... But they have a crazy strong design (trust me i know) and they offer so much customability if thats a word...

You def got ripped off on the alloy big bores but oh well... I managed to pick up some "good fake" ones from HK and havent had a problem with them at all which was lucky...

Love the motor plate work by placing it on the rear!!! Sensible place for the rx and esc... Another guy i know actualy placed his short turnigy lipos in there... Although not much room it worked until the shock tower bent in on them... OUCH...

you should put some rear tie rod deletes on your shopping cart... The integy ones have great rep, unlike all their other products...

Also im quite interested how the truck handles with 50k rear 10k front... Please get vids of it handling etc....

Thanks Josh.

Yeah I know the shocks were big money and I saw the HK ones on eBay but,because of the scams you hear about I played it safe

and got the real deal. And anyhow,if was worried about the money I wouldn't have done the conversion in the first place right?

I took it out yesterday for it's first run and it's still a crazy wheelie machine but in a more civillized way lol.

It handled really nice but I'll need few more runs to give a verdict on the diff oil,but saying that,the rear felt good..I'm not sure on the front.

I will be changing the springs tho,I think I'll try the "yellow" ones and see how they feel.

I had it apart this morning to give it a check over and although there was nothing broken,loose or bent I did find this..

101_0093.jpg

That'll be the 6s I reckon lol.

So I'm glad these arrived this morning,and without import duties or handling fees...result!

101_0089.jpg

But I'll be needing new nuts (ooh err!) before I use these bad boys in anger tho! :D

Alloy wheels! nice! I had a set on my Emaxx many moons ago, but never ran them!

You are certainly dropping some cash into this build!

Why didn't you use them?

I'll be bashing the s**t out of these for sure lol!

Yeah I'm trying not to add it all up,I don't want to scare myself!! :o

This looks VERY very smart you are doing a great job on it mate, whats your next plan?

Really like the wheels cant wait to see a pic of them fitted.

Keep it up mate.

Good Luck.

Thanks Darren.

Thanks for the kind words Darren!

The wheels should be on for the weekend hopefully and pics will be posted soon after.

My plan is to get it dialed in as best I can really,most of the major jobs are done,so now it's mostly fine tuning.

There's way to much sag in the suspension so I'll be fitting heavier springs and shock oil or shock pistons,either or.

I'll be playing about with the diff oil as well. The rear isn't that bad but the front may need some work.

I think I'll need to swap the XL axle's back to the stock one's as the new SPI wheels have a fair amount of off-set,I'll have to suck it and see on that.

I may get a "bling" shell painted,maybe by Jon miller,but thats just a maybe for now (I've got a killer design if I do tho).

I'll keep updating with pics as I go so,watch this space:good:

Cheers!

WAHAY!!!! its coming together nicely!!!

You have made a very good choice in TVPs! Yes they are more expensive than most out there... nor do they look the best... But they have a crazy strong design (trust me i know) and they offer so much customability if thats a word...

You def got ripped off on the alloy big bores but oh well... I managed to pick up some "good fake" ones from HK and havent had a problem with them at all which was lucky...

Love the motor plate work by placing it on the rear!!! Sensible place for the rx and esc... Another guy i know actualy placed his short turnigy lipos in there... Although not much room it worked until the shock tower bent in on them... OUCH...

you should put some rear tie rod deletes on your shopping cart... The integy ones have great rep, unlike all their other products...

Also im quite interested how the truck handles with 50k rear 10k front... Please get vids of it handling etc....

Hey Josh,have you got a link for those tie rod deletes?

Thanks mate.

Your Spis look so shiny!!!! I remember when mine were like that... but since boiling tyres off them multiple times now, they have lost their shine... I will polish them up at some point!

I have bashed mine bloody hard without any dents or bends!!! amazing rims! And whats better.. .life time warrenty!!!

Remember... strap your badlands or they will balloon and they wont do their job properly!!!!

Regarding your hex and plastic rim issue... i areldite all my hexs into plastic wheel to prevent shredding! Works very well!!!

Here is the link for the rear tie rod deletes

ebay- integy tie rod deletes - i hate integy but everyone knows that these are quality items, so dont worry.... If you would like to drop some serious coin, and have a truggy style handling savage, which i know you do wink.gif then get this savage suspension conversion... they have the rear tie rod deletes already! AMAZING STUFF!! and they are cheap now! Only £80!!! they used to be £140+!!! You have seen how well my savage turns in my vids...all thanks to this kit!

By the way, this is what it looks like when you run hpi xl axle extenders with spi rims

DSC00185.jpg

YOU GET ONE HELL OF A WIDE TRUCK!!! I have been running like this! And bashing hard like this without any damage to the hubs or axles.... what is a problem though, is a lot of stress is caused to the bearings. Thats why i change them every 10 runs or so... BUT ITS WORTH IT!

Edited by Josh1A1H

LOL thats soooo wide!

Do you have problems with 6" 6' width restrictions?? :whistling:

I've thought about the suspension conversion but,is it any good at jumping and heavy off road?

Ya see 99% of the time I drive off road,jumping and general hooning about and that kit seems quite low to me.

That is cheap tho at £82 but where do you actually buy it from? I can only find it at £130 and it's out of stock.

Yes my lovely shiny wheels! And your right,they won't stay like that for long.

And if you want to polish yours this works a treat..

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...4f63aa6fff5eb11

Great tip on glueing the hex's in plastic wheels,I never thought of that,cheers!

I taped my Bonzes with some Gaffa tape but it was quite old tape and I totally under estimated BL power,

the end result is..ballooning tyres.

So I now have some Gorilla tape to use on the Badlands,fingers crossed that'll work fine.

Thanks for the links Josh :good:

Edited by dirtyhabitz

haha i know, i know! TOOOOO WIDEEE!!! but it suits my looooong truck...

the conversion is great for off road.. .never had a problem with it!! holds up to the abuse better than anything else!

Have you got a local hobby shop? you can ask them to order it for you at that discounted price...

Sometimes they are on ebay.... but not always...

Thanks for the polish link, ill order some of that now...

Gaffa tape is rubbish... way too weak. I used strapping tape before and when the tape tore, it caused my tyres to go extremely out of balance.

So i use alcohol to clean the tyre before sticking the gorilla tape to it to get rid of any residue from the factory.

when gluing to your spis... make sure you use some fine sand paper to score the surface and clean again with alcohol...

I have some alcohol to clean and remove grease etc and I'll "key" the SPIs before I CA the tyres,good tips Josh thanks!

TBH I've not looked for a local HS,the internet makes me lazy I guess :blush:

I'll have a good hunt about for that Sus conversion tho,if you say its that good then I'll find one somewhere.

Cheers Josh! :good: