• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

A Crazy Idea, but is it possible?

Terabyt3

So during a bash session and a few ruined buggies we got discussing ideas for stupid **** we could do. Like "What about nitro flamethrowers using the third channel?"

Of course most were dismissed but one line of thought got me thinking.

My brother cocked his head to the side and said "You think you could jumop the river?"

Well with a big enough ramp you can clear anything. But thats not the line of thinking we took.

It eventually led down the path of amphibious buggies....

Here's what I thought of.

1) Water-proof the electrics (a given)

2) Put floats within the chassis and ensure it's boyant enough the hold more than the weight of the buggy

3) Snorkel the Exhaust and air filter possibly using an air only filtration system on the air intake.

4) Put sand paddle tyres on the wheels (Maybe just the back ones) to allow a paddle effect in the water.

Also straight after discussing this Top Gear was on Dave with a far "running" across the water. Anyone reckon a 4wd buggy with scoops hitting level watter at full throttle would "skip" across or just sink like an effing brick?

Either way it'll be a laugh and at least get some hits on youtube :whistling:

Terabyt3 :good:

i have see people run nitro engines with a shronkel ect. under water but i would not recomend it as it doesnt provide good cooling and its very risky as if any of the water gets in you can say bye to your motor

keeping the buggy boyant wont be a problem but getting it to drive quickly will, i have also seen a few hydroplaning rc but it was very hard to get it right and impossible to control

i have see people run nitro engines with a shronkel ect. under water but i would not recomend it as it doesnt provide good cooling and its very risky as if any of the water gets in you can say bye to your motor

keeping the buggy boyant wont be a problem but getting it to drive quickly will, i have also seen a few hydroplaning rc but it was very hard to get it right and impossible to control

i'm sorry correct me if i'm wrong but how is a nitro engine in water BAD COOLING? basic physics suggests water cooling is by far and a way better than air cooling. thats why its used in 1:1 cars andmany other applications.

but asside from that i do think that a water skipping nitro would be awesome tongue.gif

smithygood.gif

If I was trying this I would take the following approach:

1) Fit the biggest wheels and tyres I could find (I think your idea of a paddle type tread is the way to go)

2) Set the suspension for the highest ride height I could.

3) Make a solid polystyrene hull to fit under the chassis using as much of that ground clearance you've just given yourself as possible to increase the volume of the polystyrene.

4) attach some kind of angled bumper to the front to stop the nose from diving under the water.

5) take it very slowly and hope :P

I think the idea of getting it to float and then slowly making your way across is less likely to end in disaster than trying to skim it across at full whack.

Oh we'll be hitting the ramp full throttle to TRY and clear the river. The amphibious part is for if we fall short......

Ah, I misunderstood what you were trying to do.

...in that case I think it is going to be a very big cloud of steam rapidly followed by a very broken engine :P

Get a brushed electric or water proo brushless and that will be fine for water usage.

You could try with a nitro, but nitro's and water don't really mix, plus the engine will be much much cooler and it'll run like poo, not to mention the clutch bell will rust and the engine might stall due to the friction on the flywheel...

Much cooler to have an offroad buggy though with paddle rear tires, then floor it across a pond and it will skip over the surface like those icelandic trucks do :D

Edited by revorocks