• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

car starts then cuts out after about 10-20 seconds.

Rogmeister

Another day another question from me. Sorry all.

After all my troubles yesterday im starting again today. Now just need some advice.

Ive started the car today and it cut out after about 15 seconds. The glow plug was wet when i took it out.

Ive had to clear the engine numerous times after. whats the issue here lads? many thanks!!

I have had a lot of problems with my car cutting out, im no expert, but I think you need to make sure the glow plug is tight so no fuel is coming out (some sizzling and steam from the top of the engine shows this). Try heating the engine up with a hairdryer and warming it up with short low power runs. If your car stalls just after starting then turn the throttle up on the remote this will turn the wheels without the accelerator pressed and will move the car off the line without you (just be careful to turn back down soon otherwise the car with continually move unless on the brakes)

You may also want to change the fuel percentage and tune the engine but here I am not so sure about what im doing.

good.gif

I have had a lot of problems with my car cutting out, im no expert, but I think you need to make sure the glow plug is tight so no fuel is coming out (some sizzling and steam from the top of the engine shows this). Try heating the engine up with a hairdryer and warming it up with short low power runs. If your car stalls just after starting then turn the throttle up on the remote this will turn the wheels without the accelerator pressed and will move the car off the line without you (just be careful to turn back down soon otherwise the car with continually move unless on the brakes)

You may also want to change the fuel percentage and tune the engine but here I am not so sure about what im doing.

good.gif

yeah check the gowplug, thats the most common cause.

or in the worst case scenario, the lsn is set too lean.

the lsn also adjusts the idle fuel / air ratio.

so if its not the glowplug, try slightly ritchening the lsn and the idle screw.

yeah check the gowplug, thats the most common cause.

or in the worst case scenario, the lsn is set too lean.

the lsn also adjusts the idle fuel / air ratio.

so if its not the glowplug, try slightly ritchening the lsn and the idle screw.

hmmm. Ive had another look. seems to be permenately flooding the engine. I clear it it starts for a second then its flooded.

forgot to add, glow plugs fine.

Edited by Rogmeister

Yo geezer, it's like I said in the other thread, the motor is set rich by the factory when new so it dosent get damaged during run in, also I remember you saying you changed the low speed needle which will need too be set back to factory setting.

Dont use the trim whilst running in!! confused.gif

read what I posted on your other thread and you should be ok good.gif

Edited by Dirty Electro

Yo geezer, it's like I said in the other thread, the motor is set rich by the factory when new so it dosent get damaged during run in, also I remember you saying you changed the low speed needle which will need too be set back to factory setting.

Dont use the trim whilst running in!! confused.gif

read what I posted on your other thread and you should be ok good.gif

ive put all needles back to factory settings.

I can start the engine, it runs for a few seconds then cuts out. It will also cut out if i tighten the glow plug the last 1/4 turn after it starts. I can do this a couple of times before the engine floods.

right mate, in simple terms, looking at the top of the engine, near the side of it will be a metal tube like thing sticking up, wih a flathead screw in it, thats is your high speed needle, adjusting this will increase performance of your engine.

and looking at the throttle servo and linkages, there will be a black round part connected to the engine, (the throttle linkage pulls this in and out) in the center, there will be a screw, thats the low speed needle, it controls the idle fuel to air ratio and low speeds ratio, so basically controls acceleration. these need to be tuned to give the best performance and running temperatures for your engine.

not tuning it will not harm your engine in any way, it will simply make you burn out glowplugs quicker than you can replace them. if your still stuck on explaination mate, let me know, i will upload some pics to show you

right mate, in simple terms, looking at the top of the engine, near the side of it will be a metal tube like thing sticking up, wih a flathead screw in it, thats is your high speed needle, adjusting this will increase performance of your engine.

and looking at the throttle servo and linkages, there will be a black round part connected to the engine, (the throttle linkage pulls this in and out) in the center, there will be a screw, thats the low speed needle, it controls the idle fuel to air ratio and low speeds ratio, so basically controls acceleration. these need to be tuned to give the best performance and running temperatures for your engine.

not tuning it will not harm your engine in any way, it will simply make you burn out glowplugs quicker than you can replace them. if your still stuck on explaination mate, let me know, i will upload some pics to show you

Ok mate. I understand this. The idle needle is set to roughly 1mm and the low speed and high speed needles are at factory settings.

sweet mate.

now when you run your model, warm the engine up, then starting with the high speed needle, turn it 8th clockwise, this will make your mixture more lean. therefor increasing performance, should notice better top speed too.

keep turning 8th turn clockwise and thrash it to test. keep doing it until you turn it that last 8th turn and the performance is not increased. then at that point, turn it back 8th turn, its tuned.

should be a nice line of blue smoke upon acceleration, if there is hardly any then its too lean, needs to be ritchened up, if there is loads and loads of smoke, its still too rich, lean it out.

and with the low speed needle, run the engine, warm it up, thrash it for a few secs to clear out excess fuel in the carb, bring your car to a standstill and squeeze the fuel line, it should run for around 2 - 3 seconds, slightly speed up in revs then die, thats when its fully tuned.

if it runs for more than 2 - 3 seconds then its too rich, lean it out a little, again with 8th turns.

if it just dies quickly when squeezing the line, no speed up in revs, just a straight die, its too lean, ritchen it up slightly

tuning can be quite tricky, different fuels can help.

i never run model technics, worst fuel around, i like optfifuel

remember, when tuning 8th turn clockwise leans it out and 8th turn anti-clockwise, ritchens it back up again.

good luck

firstly, remove the airfilter and check the slide choke, as you pull the throttle it will open, leaving it alone, it should be almost closed, not completely, about 1mm - 2mm gap, that is for idle.

if its completely closed, adjust the idle screw clockwise to open it up slightly, and then try starting it, if you adjust it too much and open it too much, the model will race off on its own once started, so its always good to make sure its raised off the floor. :D

If its too rich it can hydrolock the engine and break the crank ;)

Just lean it a bit. It's not hard. It just sounds like it's far too rich to even run and it's bogging down, stalling...

LEAVE THE LSN ALONE. It's the HSN and the idle you want to adjust. Turn the high speed needle 1/4 clockwise to lean it. Don't lean it too much though.

You want it to be quite rich for breaking in, but not so rich that you can't actually run it.

When I got my Picco, it was too rich to run. Would just stall after about 10 seconds of idling. I leaned it out a tad and then it would run. Broke it in and tuned from there on.

Just lean it a bit. It's not hard. It just sounds like it's far too rich to even run and it's bogging down, stalling...

LEAVE THE LSN ALONE. It's the HSN and the idle you want to adjust. Turn the high speed needle 1/4 clockwise to lean it. Don't lean it too much though.

You want it to be quite rich for breaking in, but not so rich that you can't actually run it.

When I got my Picco, it was too rich to run. Would just stall after about 10 seconds of idling. I leaned it out a tad and then it would run. Broke it in and tuned from there on.

all up and running. I went to my local off road race track and everyone helped me out. What a bunch of top blokes! now running and the brake in begins

• 7 years later...

I have a kyosho hummer h1 so the engine doesn't seem to be getting fuel I was advised to try to see if the engine was blocked and blow gently into the pipe that was attached to the exhaust that leads to fuel tank so I did n started it it lasted for around 10-20 seconds then died no smoke just hot air came from exhaust what do I do?

Edited by VerZer90
Forgot a bit