• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Bike tyres

Milliscent

Coming home from work at bout 7pm i was doing my useual run through town on the dual carriageway, everything normal with the bike i was riding steady as it was drizzling and the roads are a bit greasy with all the wintery crud that builds up as its been dry for a few days. so im coming past some roadworks and as you would expect theres a diesel spill which i had noticed going in the other direction avoiding that i hit a sunken water tap grate bit of a thump thought nothing and carried on, i reached the next traffic lights which take me onto my road and i suddenly think WHY can i feel absolutely every bump in the road thinking it was me being stupid i carried on, going round the tight right hander onto my street i realise my front tyre is completely flat, and im about to mount the curb as i have no steering the front tyre was ratther flatter that i had first imagined and in the space of about 30 seconds

Luckily the walk was short to push the bike Home

whats next ? do i get jim the mechanic to fit me a new tyre or is it an easy job ?

dunno how much tyres cost buu

You ever changed a push bike tyre?

It's exactly the same way. It is a little harder due to the tire been a lot harder compound, if you don't have the right tools a good heavy duty flat screw driver will help to get the tire wall over the rim.

When you take the tire off check the sidewalls for splits as you have run it flat which is no good for the tyre.

No m8, although their are cirtain tyre patterns that go with other patterns on bikes. if you take it to a shop they will fit the best front tyre to go with your rear tyre, probably the same make as you have on now anyway m8.

You can however, remove your front wheel and just take that to the shop with you. it normaly works out cheaper if they dont have to remove and replace wheels. depends what sort of bike you have as to the ease of this though.

Are we talking bicycle bikes here or motorbikes? :lol:

If it's motorbike tires, you don't need to have it changed necessarily. If the puncture is not too close to the side, they can patch it up from the inside.

I had this done already 4 times, even once on my track bike's Pirelli Supercorsa.

Always went well and I got to use the tire normally. There's no danger of a plug coming out or something else, because it's a patch on the inside of the tire.

Should cost you 15-20 quid max if you bring your wheel to the shop.

If your tire was already pretty old or worn, get a new one of course.

Edited by Joe Tosh

No m8, although their are cirtain tyre patterns that go with other patterns on bikes. if you take it to a shop they will fit the best front tyre to go with your rear tyre, probably the same make as you have on now anyway m8.

You can however, remove your front wheel and just take that to the shop with you. it normaly works out cheaper if they dont have to remove and replace wheels. depends what sort of bike you have as to the ease of this though.

shouldnt be too hard its a cg125 so it has a centre stand and i can take the front tyre off

thing is i wouldnt mind a set of new tyres on both ends although my rear tyre has plenty of tread its not a brand im familiar with and tbh its not the most amazing tyre yes it does the job but under hard cornering its always on the edge and the front is even worse, they also have alot of rolling resistance ive discovered and they aint brilliant on the brakes,

those are orignal on your bum rubbers mostly used on c70/90 cubs :P very vague feedback

im no pro but i think ive been lucky so far ive had moments with the front and rear when its let go and saved itself, they dont fill me with confidence :confused:

and they dont handle very well cornering takes effort

semi slick tyres for my commuter isnt that also a death wish ?

their scaled down version of what they offer for superbikes! they offer far better grip as warm up quick than what currently using, better wet cutting threads, their on my gilera scooter as standard no issues apart from pot hole that broke my ankle :blush:

The best tyres IMO are the Dunlop sport max, great handeling and last for ages. Only problem is i dont think they make them quite that small.

frustrating though. Crappy tyres is my pet hate. just go for what you can afford m8. I know the sportmax was 120 Quid for a rear on my Aprillia RS 125 lol. and they are 152 on the F4. IMO I would rather starve for 3 days and have good rubber on my bike than skimp out go cheap and DIE!. lol of course you could just ride a bit slower :)

The best tyres IMO are the Dunlop sport max, great handeling and last for ages. Only problem is i dont think they make them quite that small.

frustrating though. Crappy tyres is my pet hate. just go for what you can afford m8. I know the sportmax was 120 Quid for a rear on my Aprillia RS 125 lol. and they are 152 on the F4. IMO I would rather starve for 3 days and have good rubber on my bike than skimp out go cheap and DIE!. lol of course you could just ride a bit slower :)

Have been running a set of

rang up this place http://www.johncoopersderby.co.uk/Ourservices.html cos it was reccomended rang em for a quote knew exactly what i was on about when i mentioned the michelins and im expecting a call back any minute

im gonna shell out cos id rather have a pair of decent tyres that ive had fitted so ive got piece of mind they arent made from bin liners, and so i can see the difference a good set of tyres makes

ill need a new innertube

i wouldn't go ott on the cg tires, the tires and rims are very narrow so you cant expect much in the way of cornering confidence, My 07 RS had nice wide tires and i spent out alot of cash on tires and i was doing tires every 4k which was fine for me but if your not looking to spend out much id get longer life tires, just not no makes lol

I now ride a wr 125 which has skinny offroad style rims and tires with semi nobblys and it can be a bit of a handful on wet and dirty roads after lots of rain

i wouldn't go ott on the cg tires, the tires and rims are very narrow so you cant expect much in the way of cornering confidence, My 07 RS had nice wide tires and i spent out alot of cash on tires and i was doing tires every 4k which was fine for me but if your not looking to spend out much id get longer life tires, just not no makes lol

I now ride a wr 125 which has skinny offroad style rims and tires with semi nobblys and it can be a bit of a handful on wet and dirty roads after lots of rain

dont think i am goin ott im just getting some decent tyres , id rather have something safe than something cheap and dodgy whenever the roads arent smooth or dry or warm.

im only going on what ive been reccomended and if they are for scooters and smaller bikes why not ? a scooters even less maneouverable than my cg i know it doesnt like to lean but i wouldnt mind a bit of confidence that when im doing whats possible the parts keeping me there are going to keep me there rather than pushing the boundaries on every turn

dry roads on the way to work, going round a roundabout the front end let go, at 30mph and regularly the rear end decides to wobble around generally when i change down

now if i can remedy this effectively for under