• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

Where do you store your car?

merlin_mog

Might seem a bit of a stupid question but I'm probably not going to be using my nitro's much over the next few months. Best to store them in the house or garage? And do I need to do anything specific to them before putting them in storage?

Garage will be cold and most likely a bit damp and house will be hot then cold with central heating on and off so have condensation. Not sure about the best place to store it to reduce rust / damage. I've used after run / WD40 on the engine so will it make much of a difference?

WD40 doesn't affect rubber, but some corrosion inhibitors have been known to. The rubber hardens.

You basically want somewhere secure and safe with relatively constant conditions.

My cars life in my shed ( brick not wooden ) in a nice steel lockable cupboard. I have made stands for the cars so they do not sit on the wheels with the springs compressed. When I say 'stands' they are actually sections of 4" drainpiping! Disconnect the batteries until you are ready to use them again. Also....always give them a good clean before you put them away. Then they are ready when you want them.

as said clean it up oil moving parts aro the engine make sure leave it at bdc sould be fine in your shed i keep mine in a plastic box in the garage but they get used all year round at least once or twice a week .

Mine are in my room, but I run every week, despite cold or warmth so I always like easy access to them lol. But yeah damn good clean, burn all fuel thats in engine, after run oil, squirt down with gt85.

Edited by m3lyc

for a change mine have spent the last 2 weeks inside but that is coz it has been cold out in the shed and couldnt find my padded-boilersuit

ARO is a must if they are sitting for a while

most the time they spend there life in the rafters of my shed with the chassis sitting on blocks of wood so that the wheels dont touch the ground

Initially I was a little worried about storing as both my hyper and muggy have surface rust on the drive shafts, clutch bell and bolt heads and my muggy tyres were totally flat spotted. They'd only been in the garage for 5 weeks. I always ARO the engine and carb so not too worried about them but just dont want to come back to them in a couple of months and find the chassis and moving parts totally rusted up.

Think I'm going to GT85 all the metal bits then clean them with brake cleaner next time I get them out so it doesn't act like a magnet for dust and grit.

Managed to get a new storage spot today - having the loft converted and I've persuaded the missis to let me have a dedicated RC storage cupboard in one of the eve's.

Edited by merlin_mog