• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

My First Painted Shell

matt_green84

Well i've bitten the bullet, and bought a clear shell to replace my slightly battered one. The current one is the second one I have had, but was the red factory screen printed jobbie, which did the job but I fancied painting one.

My other half decided she wanted a go with the truck the other day, and proceeded to do three quarters of a front flip ending in a concrete fence post. Luckily the shell took most of the damage, but broke across the bottom of the windscreen pillar, which seems to be a weak point, the first shell went the same place.

So, the other day I ordered a clear shell, and a couple of tins of spray. The plan was, marble cadbury's purple front, a flourescent orange flash up the side, then silver on the back. However, after looking at the paint that arrived, i decided that i'd not try and be too adventurous and stick to a one colour wonder.

I was pleasantly surprised with how easy everything has gone, cutting out took about an hour, then probably half an hour to paint. Its not a fantastic job, but good enough for me for now. For me, the important thing was to keep the windscreen in to make it stronger.

Pics:

rascalf.jpg

rascalr.jpg

Paint has bled slightly under windscreen masking, so i'm going to outline the window tomorrow with some 2mm black tape, used for lining white boards. Should be finished then!

Looks good. The Rascal shell is extremely weak as you have pointed out, I don't understand how it passed testing or quality control at Schumacher with the windows cut out. Its wise to leave the windscreen in place, I also left the windows in for strength. It makes it a bit of a fiddle if you use a pull start but if you have the roto start there is no problem and the lack of ventilation doesn't affect temps which is a bonus.

Now lined the windows, with a big 'sunstrip' to cover the main run above the vent hole. Looks good, just needs another racing-cars.com sticker over it. Just need to find a drill now and drill body post holes. What diameter should i be going for? 5mm?

Its all done, on and fitted very pleased.

I also took the front end apart, cleaned out the receiver which was full of sand, and waterproofed it with a condom, chucked it all back together.

The only problem I have now is that the insulation has melted on the power switch wiring, due to running past the engine, so thats occasionaly shorting and draining the battery very quickly. So that'll be a new one soon! Replaced the rear driveshaft aswell, due to losing the eclip in the universal joint, and then losing the pin, and subsequently all drive.

Getting expensive again.

• 3 weeks later...