• Join our community

Sign-up for free and join our friendly community to chat and share all things R/C!

reviving an engine

kwik-kid

hi guys, i want to have a go at reviving my schumacher big 6 engine and try and get it working (for the sake of it)

as far as i know, theres no damage to it, it just hasnt been used in a while...

ill need to order a starter pack as i dont have any nitro stuff, i have some old tornadoes fuel as well which should be ok

is there anything ill need to do to it? i can asume its been run in etc so is there any oils i need to clean the engine etc?

thanks

chris

Wd40 is king. Cleans, degreases, lubricates....and smells nice :)

I would consider binning old fuel and getting fresh. The largest portion of the fuel is methanol (alcohol). Methanol is hygroscopic meaning it attracts moisture. This can cause your fuel to be contaminated with water, which will cause poor engine performance. Also, the UV rays in sunlight will eventually break down the nitro methane if the fuel is stored in sunlight for long periods of time. 'Bad' fuel will make your engine run poorly or not at all, which you don't want if you are trying to bring it back to life!

• 2 weeks later...

I would definately replace the fuel and glow plug. And a little tip that i was told by an experienced model driver was to remove the air filter and the glow plug and add a little fuel directly into both the carb and onto the piston head itself. this will ensure that the car is properly primed and ready for action, hoped i was of help : )